what do I need in a capsule wardrobe

(16 Posts)
tootsweets Sat 20-Feb-16 19:53:14

Help basically starting from nothing! Am a size 18 on slimming world losing regularly. Want a complete capsule wardrobe to keep me going for another couple of months. Obviously nothing too pricey. What do I need and how many of each?

BabyGanoush Sat 20-Feb-16 19:55:27

depends on your life and lifestyle!

A dog walker in the sticks needs a different wardrobe from a London office worker

for example grin

Also depends on your budget

tootsweets Sat 20-Feb-16 19:58:59

Am a teacher with 4 children. No dogs! Was thinking 5 smart tops 3 dresses 2 trousers a skirt etc hmm

BabyGanoush Sat 20-Feb-16 20:24:14

That sounds a plan, but it's not very "capsule" is it?

Isn't capsule meant that everything goes with everything? Ie a tunic or dress that can be worn with leggings (casual), tights (sexy) or bare legs (summer) and everything is in colours that combine well (for example white, navy or black and camel)?

Maybe, quite possibly, i don't have a clue what I am talking about grin

I think Hush are great for that sort of thing, I have some good basics (excellent quality) from them. Not cheap (n fact, a bit £££) but their longer length t-shirts for example last a thousand washes yet never lose their shape.

What sort of "smart tops" were you thinking? Blouses?

tootsweets Sat 20-Feb-16 20:27:15

No I tend to wear jersey tops when I'm slimmer. I'm just fed up with wearing the same 3 tunics and leggings! Looking ahead really to motivate myself to lose the 4 stone I need to. It gives me a goal.,

tootsweets Sat 20-Feb-16 20:28:02

No I tend to wear jersey tops when I'm slimmer. I'm just fed up with wearing the same 3 tunics and leggings! Looking ahead really to motivate myself to lose the 4 stone I need to. It gives me a goal.,

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 20-Feb-16 21:45:28

I've not got a capsule wardrobe, but I think the idea is that everything mixes and matches, so you go for particular colours that will work together. I'd be inclined to go for separates over dresses so they'd be more versatile. If it was me, and I'm thinking about stuff I actually own here, which is probably not to everyone's taste, plus the time of year, I'd have:

Black skinny jeans
Black a-line skirt
Grey skinny jeans
Other a-line skirt, maybe a leopard print one
Dress that could be smart or casual, maybe a navy Whistles shirt dress

Stripy top
Turtleneck jumper - grey, I think
Black crew-neck fine-knit jumper
Grey crew-neck fine-knit jumper
Mustard cardigan
A couple of blouses, one black and white printed, and another more colourful one
Denim shirt

I think that would all work together to make different outfits, but I can wear smart jeans to work. The cardi and denim shirt could both go over the dress, and the stripy top could go under it (it's half-sleeved).

Could you look at things like stretchy tube skirts which will work over a couple of dress sizes?

tootsweets Sat 20-Feb-16 22:29:58

Thank you. I have lived in dresses/tunics for over a year as I hate my size. The thought of being able to wear trousers is both exciting and scary!!

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 20-Feb-16 23:45:16

I always say this, but could you do a big ASOS order and try stuff on at home? Free delivery and returns. I might include a pinafore dress in my list above too, actually, but in reality a capsule wardrobe is my idea of hell!

calzone Sat 20-Feb-16 23:50:13

When I was bigger I lived in tunics and leggings......was the worst thing really as I had elasticated waists so didn't realise how big I was.

Hang on. Will have a look for you.

calzone Sat 20-Feb-16 23:52:41

All these trousers are a size 18 and in the Next clearance sale online.

tootsweets Sun 21-Feb-16 11:30:52

Wow! Thank you. I do have a lot of weight to lose and I wasn't going to buy anything until I got there. However this is depressing and unrealistic! I really appreciate the time you spent. smile

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 21-Feb-16 12:58:35

There are some blogs that offer good capsule advice.

Putting Me Together and the Vivienne Files are probably a good place to start. I also like the Workwear Edit although it's quite formal - but I think you can translate into less formal versions pretty easily.

calzone Sun 21-Feb-16 13:15:54

My pleasure toot!

Go and look at some of the clothes in Next. Cheap and cheerful before you do proper shopping in a smaller size.

calzone Sun 21-Feb-16 13:18:10

Again, all in an 18.

tootsweets Sun 21-Feb-16 20:56:38

smilefeeling positive now!
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now