Good shops for interview clothes?

(13 Posts)
EarSlaps Fri 19-Feb-16 22:26:48

After 8 years out of the workforce I have an interview next week! I don't have any workwear and I haven't bought any in this country for over 10 years as my last job was abroad.

Which shops are good for workwear? I don't want to spend a fortune as if I don't get this I won't be looking for a good few months (but had to apply for this as it looks good) so could change shape/size/fashion. But I don't want cheap and nasty. I never fit in Next (apart from jeans!). Oasis tends to fit well but a bit trendy maybe for a 36yo's work wardrobe?

I'm a size 10, trousers are a nightmare on me so prob a pencil type skirt and blouse. Won't get a suit jacket as it's not going to be a hugely formal place. I'm pretty straight up and down no boobs/waist/hips.

I am going to rush into town so any ideas of good shops to try would be much appreciated smile.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 19-Feb-16 22:42:10

Oasis have great dresses - loads of women wear dresses for work nowadays.

How about this.

Or this

EarSlaps Fri 19-Feb-16 22:52:25

I like the style of the second one but not the colours. I do have a knee length blue Zara dress (sort of stretchy pencil knee length but not too tight). How could I dress it up? I'm crap at accessorising and feel like a right idiot in scarves etc!

MamaLazarou Fri 19-Feb-16 22:54:16

I love a good rummage in TK Maxx for suits: you can often find a great bargain but it can take time.

My most flattering and hard-wearing suits are from Hobbs and French Connection.

Good luck in the interview!

EarSlaps Fri 19-Feb-16 23:05:49

Good idea about tk Maxx. Might give that a try.

I really struggle with suits so I'm thinking separates would work with my shape more. I have no boobs so most suit jackets gape on my chest and if I find one that doesn't the trousers/skirt don't fit!

Need shoes too shock. Clarks or next for comfort? I always loved Nine West but don't know where to get them now! Smart flats or very low heel as I can't walk in heels!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 20-Feb-16 07:45:58

The sailor dress also comes in grey, I just happened to grab the black link.

Blue dress sounds promising. I'm not great at accessorising myself and tend to rely on stilettos to make a look work, but with very smart flats, nude tights and maybe a good quality cardigan, it would work well.

EarSlaps Sat 20-Feb-16 18:55:31

I got some nice low heels and a black suit jacket to go with the blue dress. Plus some nude tights and no vpl pants- that dress shows every lump!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm the first one to interview so hopefully that will make me memorable. I've been in the loft getting all my certificates etc out ready!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 20-Feb-16 18:59:37

Ooh, good luck!

Littleallovertheshop Sat 20-Feb-16 19:03:43

I'm a bit late but m and s have 20% off till Monday. 10 for a blouse and 14 for a pencil skirt with the discount, 2 x cardigans for 20. I've stocked up smile

SunnyL Sat 20-Feb-16 19:13:10

I was in sainsburys today and thought they had some good stuff. It's also 25% off this weekend smile

EarSlaps Sat 20-Feb-16 19:52:45

Bugger, I did know about the 20% but forgot. I'm normally really good at that! Perhaps I should taken them all back tomorrow and buy again? I was pleasantly surprised by their range actually. The jacket feels very nice fabric and is machine washable too. Just a shame the trousers and skirt that went with it were awful! But they had some very nice work trousers and a black jacket would smarten up most outfits if I did get the job.

Might have a quick look in Sainsbury's too in case there's anything I like.

Littleallovertheshop Sat 20-Feb-16 20:19:07

If it's m and s defo take it back or reorder it all online and get the cashback too

All sounds lovely, good luck!

EarSlaps Sat 20-Feb-16 20:34:58

Wish I could order online- interview is Tuesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now