Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how to make the skin on my legs even/what are these flaming red dots that mean I can't go barelegged?

(16 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Fri 19-Feb-16 16:33:55

Hi. I'm very fair skinned, my legs never go anything other than bright white, they don't even burn. For as long as I can remember I have had red dots at the base of every follicle. No lumps, the skin can be smooth to the touch but it looks terrible. Bright red dots everywhere. Shaving/not shaving makes no difference. I would not mind my bright white legs if the skin looked even but it looks like a shaving rash or something constantly. I've been ashamed of it since high school. I'm not sure that it is keratosis pilaris, I sometimes get that on the back of my arms but that feels quite lumpy. So I'm not convinced its the same thing. Can anyone advise on what it is and how to get rid of it without having to always cover up with airbrush spray? I'd love to be able to wear a skirt to work or school run in the summer without being painfully aware of how dreadful the skin looks. How do people manage to get skin on their that is exactly the same as any other part of their body? Its literally like a different type of skin. Any help appreciated.

SpaghettiMeatballs Sun 21-Feb-16 07:18:47

What moisturiser do you use on your legs?

I'm very fair skinned and my legs sound similar. I use a quite intensive moisturiser such as Aveeno Skin Relief lotion. It seems to be much more effective than a more cosmetic, scented moisturiser.

LastOneDancing Sun 21-Feb-16 07:21:44

Ooh following. I have the same, my dots are better when I've had some sun but that's not the best solution!

keeponkeepinon Sun 21-Feb-16 07:57:12

For moisturiser I use whatever is in the cupboard as I am trying to use up my hoarde of gift sets and unused bottles that I've been given/bought over time. So mostly scented. Like sanctuary etc. Does using the aveeno help with the dots?

Roseberrry Sun 21-Feb-16 10:02:09

Aveeno doesn't help with the dots but it is good for your skin so helps in that way.
I've had the dreaded dots since I was a teen too, I've given up and accepted I will never comfortably wear a skirt! I read that some foot creams help but they need to have a certain ingredient in it, will see if I can remember. I tried it but didn't notice much difference.

Have you got Irish blood op?

MamaLazarou Sun 21-Feb-16 10:08:32

Was it urea, Roseberry?

OP, I would suggest body brushing before every bath or shower, followed by a urea-based moisturiser after the bath or shower. I'd avoid anything too highly scented.

Roseberrry Sun 21-Feb-16 10:21:13

Yep that's it mama. I must admit I didn't try it for very long, you might have better results if you really go for it.

Wolpertinger Sun 21-Feb-16 10:39:04

Urea containing moisturiser is great - brands like Eucerin or Flexitol. Urea is also great for KP.

For me the answer was laser hair removal and developing a not giving a shit attitude grin

keeponkeepinon Sun 21-Feb-16 10:51:27

I've heard about urea but not given it a try - thought it was more for kp. I do get kp as well but I don't think that is what this is. I got some nipfab glycolic fix body lotion but not tried it yet - trying to use up other stuff first!
It's so frustrating.

keeponkeepinon Sun 21-Feb-16 10:53:24

And yes, irish ancestry.
Is it about dryness or something else? A deficiency or circulation issue or something?

Wolpertinger Sun 21-Feb-16 11:12:53

Urea is highly moisturising and exfoliating. Not sure about the body brushing idea, it might break capillaries and make it worse?

I never fixed mine until basically I was leaving the follicles alone as I'd lasered all the hair away so there were no hairs in the follicles and the skin was beautifully moisturised. and I stopped caring so much about it

Branleuse Sun 21-Feb-16 11:14:26

keratosis pilaris.

Its really common if you have celtic blood. You have excess keratin and its stickier than usual so it clogs up your pores

Ive found various things that help here and there, but they dont work perfectly.

*Occasional use of hair removal cream, rather than shaving, seems to help sometimes, but sometimes it burns my skin if used too much.

*Showering and scrubbing every day, then moisturising - one of the gradual tanning ones disguises whats left a bit.

*not caring. - If you look at other peoples legs in the swimming pool, its not exactly rare

*getting the sun on them. Mine is worse in winter

*cutting out gluten - it can be a symptom of gluten intolerance

keeponkeepinon Sun 21-Feb-16 11:28:30

Well I am going to have a go at cutting out gluten as of tomorrow as I am going on the low carb bootcamp. So good timing for that!

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sun 21-Feb-16 11:32:34

I have this on my arms and hate wearing short sleeved tops for this reason. The only thing that really helps is fake tan - primark do a brilliant one for about £2- as this hides it.

Lucked Sun 21-Feb-16 11:35:57

udderly smooth is a nice dream for legs with urea. I hated Eurecin as it was so greasy and I personally prefer this to flexitol. Sometimes if it is really bad I use one application of the strong callus remover and that removes a lot of dead skin but I would patch test first.

One thing I do know is you have to be religious n putting the cream on, it is not a cure so as soon as you stop the problem comes back.

Branleuse Sun 21-Feb-16 12:10:07

coconut oil is supposed to work really well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now