Talk

Advanced search

Summer trousers- what do you wear?

(28 Posts)
PollyPerky Fri 19-Feb-16 13:41:36

I'm thinking about summer trousers for those days when it's too cold for a dress but too hot for jeans. I need to do serious work on my calves before they see the daylight ( thread veins so need false tan).

Are chinos just 'the end' in terms of fashion?

Not worn with a belt, but rolled up at the ankles maybe and with a cardi or top.

I'm thinking smart casual for days out, shopping etc , not for work.

amarmai Fri 19-Feb-16 14:15:42

i feel comfy and smartish in loose linen mix pants ,as i am ok with creased or crushed look-which is coming into fashion now!

vitaminC Fri 19-Feb-16 18:38:05

I have a lovely pair of summer trousers in a silk/linen blend. They're cool and pleasant to wear, but don't crease like plain linen! They were quite expensive (from Hobbs in the sale 2 or 3 years ago), but worth every penny, because they look and feel great, every time I wear them!

HerRoyalNotness Fri 19-Feb-16 18:39:56

I have some Capri cotton pants from anthropologie. They're the Charlie pant. I tend to live in those over summer. The Boden ravello top goes nice with them.

<disclaimer, I'm no fashionista>

SpaghettiMeatballs Sun 21-Feb-16 07:15:11

I really like chinos and a more relaxed skinny rolled at the ankle. I think they look good provided they aren't too high waisted and fit well.

PollyPerky Sun 21-Feb-16 08:41:27

Sorry but hate wide linen- I am middle aged and it looks crap on me. been there and no way again!

Looked at the Charlie pants- so far only in a print.

Thanks everyone!

midnightmoomoo Sun 21-Feb-16 08:42:42

I tend to go for linen wide leg trousers with a fitted top but that's because they're cool and comfy for school and lots of sitting on the floor!
Hoping to be trim enough to wear Capri style more this summer though.

waceystills Sun 21-Feb-16 08:58:10

I've just bought 4 pairs of 7\8ths chinos in really good cotton, in different colours. They look nice with a variety of tops, although shoe choice is a little limited.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 21-Feb-16 09:02:25

Where did you get them from, Waceystills?

PrimalLass Sun 21-Feb-16 09:18:11

Are chinos just 'the end' in terms of fashion?

No, they have been very 'in' for the last few years. I live in them (get mine mostly from H&M but also MeandEm etc).

waceystills Thu 25-Feb-16 21:40:48

Sorry, just seen your question shotgun. I found 3 pairs from Zara, a striking green /mustard colour, a brown pair and a grey pair; I also found navy ones in M&S, a little pricey but they are really soft cotton and very flattering. I tried to stick to cotton in the vain hope I would look expensive!

WhatamessIgotinto Thu 25-Feb-16 21:44:47

I got some really nice 7/8ths in H & M the other day. They had some plain colours and some patterned and they're lovely. For the life or me I can't understand why they're calling them 'slacks' though - slacks are what my dad used to buy from Cotton Traders.

Didiusfalco Thu 25-Feb-16 22:30:31

I have got some black straight leg cotton trousers from M&S and some cropped trousers in navy for this exact reason. They come in 3 lengths which is handy. Very happy with both. <disclaimer - I am not fashionable>

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 25-Feb-16 22:46:38

It's too early to wear them yet though, surely?

polyhymnia Fri 26-Feb-16 00:03:04

I also hate wide linen trousers on me. I look like a clown! Just got some Boden Richmond 7/8 trousers, which I think will be good staples. Wore their Chelsea turnups a lot in the last two springs and summers.
Also going to try on some Poetry linen mix trousers which, as well as not being pure linen and so hopefully not so crumply, don't look too wide.

MiracletoCome Fri 26-Feb-16 08:45:59

I buy the GAP khakis for the summer and wear either rolled up or down, also the M&S straight leg cotton trousers and Boden chinos, I am in my late 50s grin

Floisme Fri 26-Feb-16 10:56:33

I wore slim leg chinos rolled up last summer and probably will again. I'm also after some crop wide legs.

But only cotton. No linen for me, I am creased enough.

Bunbaker Fri 26-Feb-16 11:05:08

My problem is that when it is too cold for skirts/dresses/shorts it is also too cold for cropped trousers/capri pants. When I am cold I want my legs covered and socks on.

I don't like wide leg cropped pants at all I don't think they flatter anyone.

Floisme Fri 26-Feb-16 11:15:44

I think they flatter me. I have nice ankles smile

But I agree it's way too cold for them at the moment.

Ididnthearanything Fri 26-Feb-16 16:01:38

I've had decent ankle length trousers from H&M.
Also have the Gap chinos but for some reason I went off them last year.
Also have Boden Chelsea but not keen on them, a bit roomy on the thigh.

NO to linen. It surely must be the most unflattering fabric.

YourBubzYourRulzHun Fri 26-Feb-16 16:13:41

I love Next Harem pants, I've got 5 or 6 pairs in different patterns.

fiorentina Fri 26-Feb-16 17:45:25

Chinos rolled up with trainers and a top, or light denim wide legs/cullottes maybe? There are lots of dungarees/jumpsuits about. Not sure how young you are or your style?!

Ferrerotoffeemint Fri 26-Feb-16 18:23:56

I just wear black leggings under my dress or skirt.

burnishedsilver Fri 26-Feb-16 18:27:13

Other people seem to pull of wearing linen but I look like I slept in my clothes.

burnishedsilver Fri 26-Feb-16 18:31:13

I have 2 pairs of jeans from mint velvet that are perfect for warmer days. They look like normal jeans but the fabric is much lighter than regular denim. I can't tell for sure from the website exactly which ones they are but I think they might be houston.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now