Mixing cool and warm colours?

(9 Posts)
Fairyliz Wed 17-Feb-16 20:45:30

I follow a lot of blogs and have noticed an increasing trend lately of mixing warm and cool colours eg grey trousers with a tan jacket.

Now as a winter I would put grey trousers with a navy or black jacket or even white or a bright blue or pink. But tan no, I just think it looks horrible.

So is this a thing now am I old fashioned or does it break all of the colour rules?

midnightmoomoo Wed 17-Feb-16 20:51:33

I think most people don't know the 'rules' so don't know they're wrong breaking them. I'm a summer so I understand what you mean. I'm a 'mixed metals' though as silver jewellery by itself doesn't suit me and I look better in gold.

Jmangel Wed 17-Feb-16 21:35:12

I wear tan with grey all the time - I think it looks really expensive. I've never heard anything about colour rules except on this site - don't really get it - surely we know instinctively if a colour suits us?

Hmm yes I know what you mean.

I find this tricky. I bought a dress last year that I love but actually it's a little cool toned for me. I'm trying to look at how to warm it up with a scarf or jacket or anything really but hard to do as nothing goes ....

CreviceImp Thu 18-Feb-16 00:30:58

I wear cool and warm neutral colours together all the time.

Looks great.

higge Thu 18-Feb-16 07:24:39

I like the idea of grey and tan together - I'm less keen on tan with navy but I think that's because I have an aversion to traditional.

LadyPriggsbottom Thu 18-Feb-16 07:53:59

In all honesty I find some of these 'rules' about clothes a bit silly if they are too rigid. I tend to rely on my instincts really - if it looks nice it looks nice.

Grey and tan can look fine together (to me). If it occurs in nature I think it's usually fine. You often see grey skies and tanned coloured leaves together and it looks awesome, or animals with grey and tan fur.

Anyway, there are many shades of grey, so it might also be a bit of an oversimplification to say grey can't be a warm colour. I'm sure I've seen 'warm grey' paint somewhere while I was hunting for something to paint my kitchen with. Still hasn't been painted sigh, but I digress.

Hopefully Thu 18-Feb-16 16:14:36

There are both warm and cool shades of grey, so it can vary. I'm not personally a fan of grey and tan at all, but I do think black can work with tan, which is also a verboten combination (and I'm a colour analyst!). However I do firmly believe that only one of them is going to look good with any given skin tone.

higge Thu 18-Feb-16 19:36:36

I don't like black and tan either - I think tan suits lighter shades, dark shades make it look cheap, imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now