Talk

Advanced search

Need a wedding outfit that is WARM. Long sleeved fit & flare perhaps?

(30 Posts)
minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 17:19:47

Two weddings coming up (they're like buses, none for ages and then...) one is in 10 days.

All my pre DC wedding outfits won't do up, or show off all my post DC squidge.

I need a dress. Fit and flare usually suits me best (small waist albeit with love handles these days, ample bum and thighs). I'm 5'3, 8-10. Long sleeves would be ideal for warmth and bingo wing disguising.

Anyone seen anything that fits the bill? Everything I have seen is either knitted (not dressy enough, these are fairly trad smart dos) or very plain and officey.

Ideally something like this (image below, I hope) but with sleeves, and not in black...

Thank you!

LettuceLaughton Wed 17-Feb-16 19:41:36

Someone posted this beauty the other day, any good?

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 20:08:52

Thanks - nice shape, good print but think it might show my knees which I'd rather hide, also black makes me look like death warmed up at the moment...

Budget can stretch further for the right dress, up to £200ish?

Just found this one - thoughts? link

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 20:13:40

Or there is this but I'm not sure about the print. Also comes in a navy or cream version. Hmmm.

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:21:52

I like the first ChiChi one. How big are your boobs (if you don't mind me asking!)? The second ChiChi one has a high neckline which wouldn't suit anyone with an ample bosom.

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:24:59

Too plain?

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:28:40

budget busting but I love it

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:32:45

River Island

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:33:25

(Sorry - that was actually Monsoon!blush)

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 20:53:27

Last one from John Lewis

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 20:57:25

Ooh thanks Choughed smile

Boobs are small to medium (30D I think, just stopped BFing so not sure exactly). High neck is a benefit actually as I have acne and it sometimes hits my chest (joy).

Your first link is nice but these are going to be pretty formal weddings (eg women in hats, men in morning dress etc) so need something a bit dressy. And, now I think of it, some kind of hat type thing. Erk.

I really like the red one and it would be warm! but out of budget, and suspect it might overwhelm me, I'm not very striking iyswim.

Monsoon link doesn't work but has prompted me to look at Monsoon (always used to be too big for me but probably not since DC - every cloud has a silver lining I guess) will report back...

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 21:02:06

Nothing at Monsoon but found this at Ted Baker. A lot more £ than the Chi Chi one and shorter sleeves but it is lovely...

BikeRunSki Wed 17-Feb-16 21:10:50

That Ted Baker one is gorgeous!

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 21:11:38

I was just about to post that Ted Baker, I love it. Below the Monsoon and a couple of others from John Lewis

minipie Wed 17-Feb-16 21:31:12

The Ted Baker one is really very nice. Although, it depends on how they've cut the fabric, I wouldn't want half a chopped up bird on my chest iyswim.

I like the long navy one with the floral hem Choughed, is that John Lewis? How long is it?

Choughed Wed 17-Feb-16 21:34:45

It's another Ted Baker one I found on JL here

It doesn't say the length, just "midi".

minipie Thu 18-Feb-16 09:31:23

Thanks Choughed, I am going to try to get to JL this week to try it on. Meanwhile I have ordered the grey Ted Baker one and the first Chi Chi one.

sweetheart Thu 18-Feb-16 11:48:43

I have just ordered this on a whim for my birthday and it is amazing - looks so lovely on! I know it's black but it is long sleeved and fit and flare x

gonegrey56 Thu 18-Feb-16 13:56:52

Can't do a link, sorry , but I bought the Selena dress from Hobbs this morning. Long sleeved lace, waisted dress, very flattering for my curves, good length - very dark navy . A new season dress . Full skirt .

Choughed Thu 18-Feb-16 14:09:02

That Selena dress is lovely! I will have to watch for it in the sale sadly.

The Asos one is quite plungy, but also lovely.

minipie Thu 18-Feb-16 17:42:28

Wow sweetheart what kind of bra do you wear with that? Not sure my body is up to it sadly!

Selena dress looks lovely but for some reason lace doesn't suit me usually - I have bad skin and it seems to highlight it?

cissyfuss Thu 18-Feb-16 18:38:01

There are some lovelies at Coast

http://m.coast-stores.com/c/clothing/midi-dresses

All short sleeved or sleeveless but a cropped cardigan or jacket could work with them...

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Feb-16 19:01:26

this little bolero comes in a few colours and could warm up short sleeved dresses for winter weddings.

minipie Thu 18-Feb-16 19:40:37

Ooh I like the idea of a cashmere shrug. Trouble is I've left it a bit late to try to order and match the colours. Let's see what these dresses are like when they arrive...

Coast ones look nice (really like the one with a blue jacquard skirt) but I do want sleeves of some kind, as much for upper arm covering and balancing out my thigh width as for warmth...

Choughed Fri 19-Feb-16 19:41:35

I've just been browsing the TB shop at Gatwick. The grey dress is v pretty in real life but quite stiff. They have s gorgeous mint green/floral thing with matching frock coat. But you would have to spend the day avoiding all coloured food and drinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now