going back to natural from bleach blonde

(7 Posts)
FindingNormal Tue 16-Feb-16 16:26:02

I'm trying to make myself look presentable again after having my baby 9 months ago. Naturally am darkish / strawberry blonde but have white blond hair at moment and horrendous roots which I can't keep up with. So... Looking to go back au naturel and have appointment at hairdresser on Saturday. Will the dye take to my knackered out bleached hair? The only time I've dyed over bleach before I tried to go red which looked lovely for about 3 days then went pink as the dye slid offconfused. Any tips about what to ask the hairdresser to do?

Youvegottobekidding Tue 16-Feb-16 16:35:52

Congrats on your baby! The only thing I can suggest you do is take some pictures of what colour you want - search Pinterest or google for the hair colour & screenshot the picture so it's saved to your phone so you can show your hairdresser, at least then they'll know what colour you are wanting to achieve. Or alternatively you could buy a hair mag & look at the hair colour pictures in there & take your favourite ones with you. Good luck!

bishboschone Tue 16-Feb-16 16:37:47

I had balayage from full highlights . It worked well , I'm not fairly dark as my natural colour is dark blonde and I have grey to cover too .!

PolovesTubbyCustard Tue 16-Feb-16 16:39:48

I had bleached hair - silver toner for a few months last year. I decided to go back to natural - which is very dark brown - so had it dyed over. At the hairdressers - i wouldn't have attempted it myself.

FindingNormal Tue 16-Feb-16 16:46:15

Thanks guys. Def going to a pro- can't risk this myself!! Will it not go green/ pink with colours going over the top? I was assuming a few different colours might be best rather than a block...

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 16-Feb-16 17:21:41

I thought I'd try and give you some tips as I went from very light blonde to light brown last year. I did it myself but probably best to go to a hairdresser to avoid any mistakes.

Your hairdresser will need to use a filler on your hair otherwise it will go a strange colour. She can either use a protein based filler or a red dye before the brown. Bleach has stripped all pigment from your hair so it will only 'grab' the green and blue tones from a brown dye unless treated first.

Because your hair has been bleached it will be very porous. This means any dye will look overly dark at first. The colour will fade fairly quickly but you can slow this process by using hair treatments for coloured hair.

If poss, show your hairdresser a photo of yourself when your hair was a natural colour. If you're pale, you don't want to go too dark. It will be too much of a shock after white blonde. The colour of your eyebrows is a good guide to how dark you can go. Think about whether red tones will suit you or cooler ashy tones.

If you aren't sure, ask for a semi permanent dye as it will wash out over time. I found that I also had to change my makeup/wear more make up with brown hair, so I don't look washed out.

The plus side is that my hair has never been in such great condition and is lovely and shiny.
Good luck smile

hollieberrie Tue 16-Feb-16 17:32:14

I have just done this. Im naturally very dark blonde / mousy and i had had full heads of bleach for a few years and my hair was super light.

I went for a big chop (longish haor to long bob) to get rid of a lot of the bleach and then had a full head of highlights - light brown and the darkest shade of blonde. I love it and it's fairly close to my natural colour. I'm going to slowly reduce the highlighting, just half heads and aim to get back to natural.

I was guided by my hairdresser - if you trust them then they should be able to advise what's best. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now