hooded eyes- should I bother with eye make up?

(8 Posts)
bigbuttons Mon 15-Feb-16 17:53:35

I'm 48 and suspect I have always had hooded eyes to a degree. Luckily my eyelashes are long. However if I put eye shadow on it just disappears under the crease. So, is there any point in bothering or is there a clever way for me to apply eye make up so that it can be seen?

FrustratedFrugal Mon 15-Feb-16 18:01:20

Buttons my eyes are not hooded but they are deep-set. Pale shimmery eye shadow colors on the moving lid make my eyes look bigger. I can't do flicky eyeliner. A decent tutorial here, the Wayne Goss eye shape video is also worth a look.

bigbuttons Mon 15-Feb-16 18:39:51

Thanks frugal. I wish i could see my moving lid! Sometimes it's there, but if I'm tired the hooding is far worse! I'll check out the tutorial x

MsAtomicBomb Mon 15-Feb-16 19:02:32

I have hooded eyes too. Lisa Eldridge does a brilliant video on how to do a smokey look with hooded eyes, but you could use the same principles for any colours.

youtu.be/X4J_RrbsxRc

Big fan of Lisa Eldridge's videos smile

Stripeybeachhut Mon 15-Feb-16 19:10:32

I have hooded eyes, they are called 'bedroom eyes'.
I've noticed lots of models and actresses have hooded eyes. It also means we don't need to wear as much eyeshadow as we get natural shadow as it were.
Every time you blink your eyeshadow will be seen.
What works for me is a base colour on the lids, then on the outer edge of the lid and above under the eyebrows at the edge I put a touch of darker colour to open my eyes out. And a lighter colour on the inside nearest the bridge of my nose end.
Hope that makes sense.

burnishedsilver Mon 15-Feb-16 19:32:12

I'm in my 40s with hooded eyes too. I've watched lots of you tube videos and have gotten a good idea of what and how to apply. The video above is good. A big tip I got was to use matt colours only. Any shimmery bits settle in the creases and make you look crepey.

I feel that la roche posay redermic R eyes cream has improved things noticeably.

bigbuttons Mon 15-Feb-16 19:39:38

Thanks! I have been just looking at lots of Wayne Goss youtube vids-very interesting. I have learnt a lot.
Wayne says hooded are the most common eye shape- that makes me feel better. I just think they make me look old and tired, perhaps because they turn down at the corners or perhaps I am indeed just old and tired wink.
Ok will go and check out the Lisa Eldridge video now

Stripeybeachhut Mon 15-Feb-16 19:50:20

Lisa Eldridge everyday looks videos are brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now