Talk

Advanced search

Classic style personality seeks at-home wear.

(27 Posts)
Peppot Mon 15-Feb-16 13:17:06

I'm looking for stuff to wear at home, the jeans I have are too inflexible and leggings aren't possible for me without a tunic type top which I don't have any of.

So, is ponte fabric what I'm looking for? Kind of like soft but structured trousers that have stretch? Any recommendations?

I don't want to do harem pants or similar as they're too pyjama-like for me, I've been HOC'd as a Winter colouring and a very classic style personality and am really struggling to find stuff in the casual category.

I like a long, lean silhouette, I'm a size 10 or 12.

MadisonMontgomery Mon 15-Feb-16 14:29:18

I can't do links but I saw something similar on the Lands End website - a skinny style trouser in I think a ponte or jersey fabric, but they looked nice - quite smart.

Peppot Mon 15-Feb-16 14:37:22

The stretch jersey ones? They look great, thanks very much!

MadisonMontgomery Mon 15-Feb-16 15:31:06

Yes are they called Starfish or something? They do a few styles like that, tempted to get some for work but not sure if they'll be a bit casual.

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 15-Feb-16 15:39:48

OP I am in the same situation. I have found these to be my saving grace. Incredibly comfortable and flattering and available in lots of colours too.

madmomma Mon 15-Feb-16 17:58:48

bogey do they wash ok at 30? They look great but website says dry clean

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 15-Feb-16 18:12:57

So I clearly never read instructions: I wash and hang dry and they have survived just fine….

madmomma Mon 15-Feb-16 21:15:52

Ah great, thanks bogey x

Peppot Tue 16-Feb-16 12:01:00

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I need to find an actual shop on the high street. I spent yesterday close to tears, it's ridiculous but looking for casual clothes online is a nightmare. I'm over 50 and all the stuff I see on Pinterest is knee length dresses or skinny jeans 🙁
I think it's my age, I'm close to tears most of the time when I look at my Wardrobe!

As for brands on the high street, White Stuff is a bit shapeless, Fat Face too surfer dude, East too floaty, where else do you think I could look?

BlameItOnTheBogey Tue 16-Feb-16 12:21:55

Peppot: sorry to keep flogging a dead horse but Banana Republic is a great option. Hobbs also not bad.

Peppot Tue 16-Feb-16 12:32:16

That's ok, you're not flogging, I'm just desperate for ideas 🙁
Thank you!

cressetmama Tue 16-Feb-16 12:35:11

Wall London may appeal to you. Not the cheapest option but they use naice fabrics and the styles are comfortable and fairly classic without being really middle aged.

cressetmama Tue 16-Feb-16 12:36:53

I ought to add that I haven't tried their trousers personally.

Have you tried The White Company?

Peppot Tue 16-Feb-16 13:06:44

Thanks I'll look at both of those. I hadn't thought of White Company.

polyhymnia Tue 16-Feb-16 13:46:19

Anyone know how the sizing comes up at Wall London, please? Or indeed at White Company?

SayAGreatBigThankyou Tue 16-Feb-16 19:23:54

I hear you OP! How about phase 8?

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 08:37:09

I'm a deep winter and classic. I stick to plain coloured knitwear over slim trousers. Sometimes with a shirt under. Fitted shirt but soft fabric so not crisp and rigid. Not exciting but I feel like me in it.

I think the knack is to forget what "casual" is supposed to look like. I just feel a mess in casual. So I go for simple. Zero in on non patterned tops in colours you like. Well fitted slim trousers, ponte are comfortable. Done.

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 08:47:58

www.marksandspencer.com/ponte-modern-slim-leg-trousers/p/p22404579

www.marksandspencer.com/roma-rise-slim-leg-ponte-trousers/p/p60072746

Ignore HIDEOUS styling.

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 08:56:42

www.marksandspencer.com/modal-blend-asymmetric-cowl-neck-top/p/p60080704

I might need to get this.

Eastpoint Thu 18-Feb-16 09:02:28

That top is gorgeous, thank you. Reminds me of a Diane Von F top I had in 2002 which I wore out.

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 09:04:32

There's a plum one too.
<enabler>

Peppot Thu 18-Feb-16 10:48:43

That's great, thanks for the links. There's a 20% off M & S code floating around somewhere so even better. Good tip about rethinking what's casual to me. I feel really untidy in true casual.

Great ideas and brands to think about, thanks everyone.

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 11:05:32

I will admit it was a game changer for me when I realised that I could be casual for me and happy and comfortable rather than feeling scruffy.

Kettlewell colours do lots of lovely jersey things which would look great.

I will admit to throwing on a long open front heavy jersey cardigan to go over slim trousers and tops. Makes me feel pulled together. Less structured than a soft blazer but still feels right to me.

This kind of thing
www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/products/wraps-coverups

Siolence Thu 18-Feb-16 11:09:20

Can you see yourself in this sort of thing?
www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/products/wraps-coverups/item/long-tie-wrap

The outfit picture with the grey wrap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now