Talk

Advanced search

Tights, I've now officially given up on them

(23 Posts)
Dreamqueen Sat 13-Feb-16 20:53:34

i hadn't been wearing tights for ages because I couldn't find the perfect fit. Either they were too short/long or rolled down at the waist. I'm a straight up & down shape/slight apple.

after much investigation etc & the fact its too cold to wear a dress without tights I gave in & bought yet another pair of black opaques to wear. They seemed fine standing up at home but when out soon started rolling down to about lower than hip level.

never again will i fall for hype about certain brands, i realise that my shape & tights o not get on well together.

Sorry rant over. I'm quite fed up because I liked the overall look, Hush Laura dress, all saints ankle boots & black (Nora Batty) tights.

I hate tights too so don't wear them much, but I've found that buying a bigger size really helps with the rolling down thing. I'm 5.6 size 12 Apple shape and buy a large.

I like falke cotton touch tights but you say you've tried the expensive brands?

Also some people say wear your knickers over your tights to stop this, but I haven't tried as sounds really uncomfy.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 14-Feb-16 06:47:50

I love John Lewis tights, they are definitely the best I've ever had.

Fraggled Sun 14-Feb-16 06:50:51

Yep knickers over tights is the fox for tights that roll/fall down. Not the slightest bit uncomfortable.

BBQueen Sun 14-Feb-16 06:52:15

A bit odd, I know but I've started wearing an extra pair of pants on top of tights to hold the up and it works a treat

MaidrinRua Sun 14-Feb-16 08:28:02

Primark waist cincher/body shaping tights NEVER fall down...and are actually really nice, opaque tights.

Shopgirl1 Sun 14-Feb-16 09:16:44

I buy tights in M & S or topshop. They never fall down on me...always buy a size bigger, I find they stay up perfectly then.

cupcakesandwine Sun 14-Feb-16 11:22:17

I hate tights too. A couple of years ago I moved onto black leggings and black socks paired with ankle boots. Goes with everything. I tend to wear tunic style dresses on top.

MeadowHay Sun 14-Feb-16 12:24:35

I wear tiny sport shorts over the tights, mainly because I can't bear the thought of flashing people if it's windy or if I'm, ahem, drunk and even clumsier than normal, but it also does help keep them from falling down and I don't find it uncomfortable.

3WiseWomen Sun 14-Feb-16 12:29:45

Pants over tights is the way I tell you!

Serioulsy not uncomfortable at all, a bit more of a faf but they don't fall down (whihc I do find ver uncomfortable).
I usually mange to find a black pair of pants to go with the black tights. No one is the wiser.

Blue2014 Sun 14-Feb-16 12:40:53

Asda value in a larger size. Best tights ever

motherinferior Sun 14-Feb-16 14:00:51

I'm a leggings and ankle boots woman quite a it of the time.

CointreauVersial Sun 14-Feb-16 15:58:02

I've never had a problem with tights - I always buy from M&S; even their Value ones are fine.

I sometimes wear hold-up stockings, but find them a bit breezy around the nethers, and the sticky strips occasionally leave big welts.

I much prefer to go without either, and can't wait for the weather to warm up.

Dreamqueen Sun 14-Feb-16 16:51:18

Right tommorrow I'm off to buy a pair of big black pants to experiment & see if this will fix my first world tight problem. Thanks for the tips.

I can't wear hold ups either- pudgy thighs!

leadrightfoot Sun 14-Feb-16 17:16:50

Erm hold ups?

Lambzig Sun 14-Feb-16 17:40:51

Hold ups definitely. I haven't worn tights for years. Worth investing in Falke or Woolford. I have Wolford opaque hold ups that are older than my DD (6) and still immaculate.

Pants over tights. Yuk!

Beachlovingirl Sun 14-Feb-16 18:56:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lambzig Sun 14-Feb-16 21:10:55

Gosh ruby, doesn't that get terribly hot?

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 14-Feb-16 21:19:15

I know they're expensive, but Falke and Wolford opaques last forever and don't cause any problems. I agree with people suggesting to go up a size too. My mum used to make me wear pants over tights when I was a little girl, but I'd never thought of it as an adult!

Sleepyfergus Mon 15-Feb-16 01:20:49

Tesco 140 denier velvet touch (or something like that) £4.

Amazing tights.

3WiseWomen Mon 15-Feb-16 09:59:27

lamzig in my experience, no it's not that hot. You don't have wear your biggest/heaviest pants wink

Dreamqueen Fri 19-Feb-16 18:10:54

I might just have found a perfect pair of tights for me. Tesco 80denier (£4). Just put them on, they've got a nice thick elasticised waistband and feel quite supportive without cutting me in half. i don't normally buy tights in tesco but so far so good. Hoping to still be in love with them at the end of the evening1

bingohandjob Fri 19-Feb-16 21:38:39

Charnos 60 denier are brilliant - great quality, don't sag, wash well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now