Hairopause? Caffeine shampoo? Old wives remedies? SPELLS??

(4 Posts)
MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 13-Feb-16 18:50:09

WILL TRY ANYTHING

never blessed with thick glossy locks but now am in my late forties it's thin and weedy- and naturally white in chunks which if I don't dye will lead to transparent bits

now I can bunch the lot in with a tiny hairband

<cries>

what works for you

Annettebee Sat 13-Feb-16 19:47:14

Minoxidil is fabulous for hair loss. I buy the generic version which is loads cheaper. I have a thyroid condition, anemia and am perimenopause and my hair is still full. I've been using it for 2 years, I started because my hair was looking thin. My husband uses the male version because he is receding and it's definitely put a halt to that. You need to give it a good 6 to 9 months to really see a difference. You should also have your thyroid and iron levels checked as that can really effect hair. Also I'm on hrt, I don't know if that has a positive effect on hair.

misslemonsfilingcabinet Sat 13-Feb-16 20:14:10

Annettebee, can I jump on and ask which generic brand you buy and where from? Thanks so much. OP, similar issues but a decade younger. No great solutions but I'm trying fish oils, wheat germ capsules and gentle shampoos. No obvious effects sadly..

Annettebee Sat 13-Feb-16 21:11:53

Hi, I buy the 2% Equate from minoxidil-direct.com. It's the one they sell in Walgreens in The States. I've tried the men's 5% version but it made my scalp itch. It's very important to use twice a day regularly and apparently if you stop using it you hair will go back to as before. It's recommended to use on the top of the scalp but I used it on the sides as well as that's where my hair was getting thin. It made a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now