Hair tongs what's your experience I know nothing!!

(16 Posts)
alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 10:30:24

I am thinking of having my mid length hair cut in a bob on Monday and embracing my natural wave rather than straightish blow drying that I've done for years. Bit like this
stylesweekly.com/20-delightful-wavy-bob-hairstyles/
But my wavy hair has a mind of it's own and looks crap unless I wash it every day.
Was wondering if hair tongs would give waves more definition and basically look better.
It's a minefield though!!
What size barrel would I need for medium waves?
And why are some tongs £20 and some a whopping £120?!
I would definitely be looking at the cheaper ones or are they a waste of money?! Please tell me your views!!

GreenSand Sat 13-Feb-16 10:42:01

Watching with interest, as I really need to do something with my hair, but think I'd end up looking like I'd just got out of bed, rather than styled.
How do you carry off a look like that with it appearing its meant to look like that????

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 10:52:02

I know what you mean! It's getting the right products as well. Defined curls = greasy?!!
My current hairdresser isn't great but I've got 2 small DC and she comes to the house and is half the price of a salon. I need to give her a decent picture if I've got any hope of changing style!!

Beachlovingirl Sat 13-Feb-16 10:57:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 13-Feb-16 11:00:33

How strange I was going to post on this today!

Last night I bought (half price but you can return them) Aria tourmaline tongs for £70 - they're double that price normally and don't damage hair... I couldn't research properly so bought on basis I could return.

It was always a product I wanted to buy and it's more than I wanted to pay but I've got fine highlighted hair so didn't mind paying extra for a good product.

I would use a 25mm barrel for medium waves. That's what I bought.

Also remember (as I forgot) when its first done it's nice, but when you comb through looks more natural. On MrsGlossandtheGoss FB page they had a discussion yesterday one woman had nice waves through sleeping with 3 buns (those donut pad things) but I could not do that!

According to the stylist yesterday you don't need product. So eg if hair freshly washed or a day washed it should look good.

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 11:00:53

Thanks Ruby! (Although was hee hee at 'tongues'!!)
Thanks for the links - yes def going to try a cheaper one first and have got plenty of Boots points to spend on myself for a change.
What waves would the diamind one make I wonder?
Does your one do different size waves? It looks like the barrel changes size iyswim?

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 11:07:17

I'm going to buy the Babyliss one the reviews look great!

Beachlovingirl Sat 13-Feb-16 11:14:52

Beachlovingirl Sat 13-Feb-16 11:15:29

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 11:18:07

Fantastic! Does anyone put any product on afterwards? Or heat protectant? How are the Aria ones working out SuperFly?

kirinm Sat 13-Feb-16 11:18:16

My son bought me a GHD curling wand for Christmas and it's brilliant. I cannot work tongs at all (hair gets stuck). With the wand you just wrap the hair around it and it creates a great wave.

SquadGoals Sat 13-Feb-16 11:21:39

I find GHD straighteners so much easier than curlers.

Pull strands through and flick your wrists as you go. For each strand, go alternate ways and then brush through with fingers.

Gives a much more natural and less uniform look. If you already own straighteners, it's also much cheaper!

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 14:32:05

That's interesting squad goals! Do you use any products on your hair?

SquadGoals Sat 13-Feb-16 14:54:07

Morroccan oil and some sea salt spray. Normally rough dry and a bit of heat protector on the ends. Finish off with a little hairspray.

I like how you can really alter the curls - loose, beachy ones or more curly waves through how long you hold the straighteners etc.

alwaysalaughtobehad Sat 13-Feb-16 16:07:00

That sounds brilliant thank you!

SquadGoals Sat 13-Feb-16 16:32:32

It's definitely worth giving it a try if you already have straighteners before spending money on tongs that you might not get on with.

I find the sea salt especially helps with the texture. I tend to wear it down for two days with a bit of Batiste to refresh, half up half down on day 3 and messy bun day 4. Then repeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now