Real diamond studs

(14 Posts)
StewardsEnquiry Tue 09-Feb-16 17:59:12

I don't dare buy real diamond earrings because I really think I would lose them. Is it possible to have backs that screw on or something so that one cannot lose one?

SorrelForbes Tue 09-Feb-16 18:20:21

Yes you can get ones with screw on backs. Try Blue Nile

MalinHebrides Tue 09-Feb-16 18:27:15

Or you could buy good fakes from Heavenly Necklaces (online). About 50 quid and not such a disaster if you lose one. smile

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 09-Feb-16 18:27:25

Any actual jeweller can convert a pair of studs to screw backs.

StewardsEnquiry Tue 09-Feb-16 18:30:28

And do the screw backs actually work?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 09-Feb-16 18:35:03

Yes. They are a bit of a fiddle though in my opinion. I'm quite happy with a good pair of tight backs.

Buying earrings with screwbacks can be expensive as they don't tend to be stocked like that as standard. To get around the overcharge, go to a jewellers with an onsite workshop and they'll be able to make arrangements for you.

gininteacupsandleavesonthelawn Tue 09-Feb-16 18:38:13

I've had my diamond studs in for 4year now, never lost one yet! I love them, enjou

Twinklestein Tue 09-Feb-16 18:53:50

Mine have special screw backs, I've had them for years, they're difficult to lose.

Heavenly Necklace studs are very obviously fakes.

RonaldMcDonald Tue 09-Feb-16 19:59:28

I wear two 3/4ct studs. They have ordinary backs but the post is slightly thicker as it is platinum and the backs fit well
insurance is the only answer but I have only ever lost one clay shooting so perhaps they are safer than you might imagine?

dudsville Tue 09-Feb-16 22:20:43

So, slight hijack, in addition to blue Nile, where do you get real, good studs from?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 09-Feb-16 22:26:25

Costco have some online (I've not had a really good look at their jewellry instore, it's locked away in a display), but they have screw backs on their diamond studs.

RonaldMcDonald Wed 10-Feb-16 07:58:52

Mine were from a diamond merchant.

MrsMillions Wed 10-Feb-16 08:04:41

Mine are from Cool Diamonds in London. You have to pinch the backs to remove them, so whilst not screw on, they're pretty secure. Had them 3 years now, wear pretty much daily and haven't lost one.

SalmonMaki Wed 10-Feb-16 08:07:15

I've worn mine almost non-stop for 15 years (wedding present). Platinum so hard wearing, the posts and butterfly backs are still tight and have never come off accidentally.

If you buy very expensive ones, talk with your home insurers to see if they'll either be covered by the usual home contents insurance or whether you need to add the earrings as an named additional item.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now