Talk

Advanced search

Home hair dye to lighten hair?

(5 Posts)
Eminybob Tue 09-Feb-16 09:28:47

After a bit of hair dye disaster I'm been left with hair a couple of shades darker than I usually prefer. Now my greys are starting to come though again it's time to try and get back to my more natural shade.

I'm looking for a colour that can give me a light/medium brown with no tinge of red, from dark brown that I have currently.

I've looked at the back of the box and all the brown shades seem to suggest that they will only darken.

Can anyone recommend a brand and colour for me? Thank you.

dementedpixie Tue 09-Feb-16 09:59:33

If you are dark brown then you will probably have to strip the colour from your hair first before putting a lighter colour on as hair dyes will not lighten dyed dark hair.

CreviceImp Tue 09-Feb-16 11:02:30

You will need to prelighten it and then apply a natural brown. Don't go down the ash route of it will get a green tinge after bleaching.
Chestnut brown 5.3 should give a a nice natural shade. You need to add some warmth back in after stripping the hair but it won't look red if you go down the chestnut brown route.

Youvegottobekidding Tue 09-Feb-16 13:23:02

You could try the Vitamin C & shampoo hair dye remover mix to get rid of the hair dye - Google it to find instructions - much easier & cheaper than a colour stripper from the shops. You just need a tube of Vitamin C efferescent tablets, a bottle of clarifying shampoo or vosene or head & shoulders, a shower cap or cling film. After that you'll be able to colour your hair, choosing a lighter shade. All home dyes come out darker than what you see in the front of the box, so choose a lighter colour & if you don't want any red tones go for an ash tone.

Eminybob Wed 10-Feb-16 20:43:49

Thanks all. I was trying to avoid a colour remover as I used colourb4 after my original (too red) disaster, and then I think that's the reason the colour I did put on eventually came out darker than on the box.

The vit c option looks good I'll look into giving that whirl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now