Talk

Advanced search

For going out with skirts, and also with skinny jeans...which of these? (or rather, cheaper alternative to Sam Edelman Petty?)

(23 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Mon 08-Feb-16 14:26:35

The hunt continues for some little black shoe boots which are pretty much flat and can be worn with just about everything....
I love the Sam Edelman Petty, but are they worth the money? I saw a review on Amazon where the 'veneer' on the heels scraped off. I would be seriously narked for that price if that happened.

Dune Penelope? www.amazon.co.uk/Dune-Penelope-Womens-Chelsea-Black-Suede/dp/B00K8T7Y2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1454932336&sr=1-1&keywords=dune+penelope

Schuh lunar www.schuh.co.uk/womens/schuh-lunar-black-boots/1421517050/

LadyPriggsbottom Mon 08-Feb-16 14:41:22

I prefer the Schuh ones myself. Don't know anything about the Sam Edelman ones sorry.

BensonBunny Mon 08-Feb-16 19:20:24

I've got the Pettys, I wear them every single day, walk miles at work and they have been worth every penny I spent on them. Mine are plain black leather and have a leather covering on the heel, there is a slight notch near the bottom on one heel but nothing more and it isn't really visible. Otherwise they still look in very good condition and I've worn them pretty much every day since mid September. If you can try some on to work out the size (I'm a UK6 in everything normally, I have a US9) you can order from the USA, mine came from Shopbop, they were great but returns would be v.expensive.

keeponkeepinon Mon 08-Feb-16 20:49:06

I lovr the black suede pettys but I would probably have to keep them for smarter, I don't know how well it would weather. I have been ordering and sending back stuff since Christmas and I have tried the schuh above but something is off for me. Too pointy and the suede is distressed, but not in a good way, if that makes sense. They are great forthe ccurrent price though. I think Ithey would be better with the tassel removed too. They're a bit swingy! That said they look fab with black tights and a skirt.

taybert Mon 08-Feb-16 20:59:55

Keep an eye on brand alley for pettys. I picked some up a couple of months ago for £55 (which I sent back because they were too narrow) They come up fairly often though.

keeponkeepinon Mon 08-Feb-16 22:31:50

Will do tay. I see mixed opinions on sizes some say comes up small some say big. How did you find it? I'm a bog standard 5 in most things, or sometimes 4.5 in clarks.

amazonianwoman Mon 08-Feb-16 22:41:36

I have the Dune Penelope ones in brown, love them, have worn them constantly all winter. I'd buy them again, in black and brown.

I ordered and returned the Pettys. They were long and narrow (not too narrow) but looked ridiculously long on my size 7 feet, the shape just looked odd. Also, the soles were so smooth I was sliding around even on carpet - wouldn't trust them on polished floors or ice. Nice soft suede but not worth the price imho.

keeponkeepinon Mon 08-Feb-16 22:58:34

I got some hudsons which were fairly narrow but honestly they looked two sizes too long, I couldn't understand it. It just felt daft.
I like the look of the penelopes too. I might have to take a trip out to a store soon and see if I can find some to try. Again, theres mixed opinions on sizing. Are the penelopes quite narrow around the ankle? I want something fairly form fitting and not loose or very gappy. I thought the penelopes looked quite well fitted. Have not seen the penelopes on a foot so hard to tell!

AppleSnapple Tue 09-Feb-16 07:31:06

I have black suede pettys. I wear them to work most days- they are so comfortable. They've worn well and were well worth the money for the wear I've got out of them, and they go with everything!

amazonianwoman Tue 09-Feb-16 08:44:49

Yes they fit well around ankle, I wear mine with skinny jeans. The lady who sold them to me in John Lewis was wearing black ones with black tights and black skater style dress, probably size 5 feet, she looked great.

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 09:42:24

Ok so I've ordered one of each to try, it'll come down to which is the comfiest I suppose!! Hope they score well for a girl who hates heels!

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 11:17:41

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/tustorefront/?pagetype=product&productcode=128814708-Black

Not leather but cheaper!

JaceLancs Tue 09-Feb-16 13:19:01

I have the Schuh ones which are very comfy
Also for a more casual look I have Miss KG spitfires which are nubuck - even comfier, but zips fastening on opposite side takes some getting used to

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 14:34:54

Just tried on some petty size 4. Wow they are tight! Like, can barely get my foot past the zipper tight. But the length is fine they are just really tight on thr foot. Do they stretch to a neat fit on your foot or shall I try size up? The sole ferls lovely and comfy they feel as if they are flat. I love how they show your ankle. Got some 5s tocome and some dunes to try.
I'll look up the spitfire now thanks very much.

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 16:19:00

Hmm, they are lovely but I am not sure about £80 lovely. I like the way they are so snug and super comfy. If they were cheaper then yep but I don't know...

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 16:24:23

www.amazon.co.uk/EDELMAN-womens-PETTY-BLACK-Suede/dp/B01601GB1O
Worth the money? Compared to the schuh or dune ones? I looked at the sainsbury one but want leather really.

AppleSnapple Tue 09-Feb-16 17:39:14

Yes I think mine were v snug when I first got them (a 5, and I'm definitely a 5) but now they are like wearing slippers!

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 20:54:54

So, as per, am undecided between petty (£80ish), dune penelope (£60ish) or schuh lunar(£30ish). Wwyd? After today, I'm going to give up shopping for lent! blush

keeponkeepinon Tue 09-Feb-16 23:38:25

Apple - the 4 was crazily small, the 5 ok but I wonder if a 6 would actually be better, then I could put a softer insole in or wear a sock? The soles seem pretty thin, I hate it when you can feel every little stone through.

Still not decided, I should have the Dune tomorrow to try. Its just justifying the price thats stopping me when I can have something ok for less.

TiredLittleApple Wed 10-Feb-16 05:41:54

I have the pettys, bought in nyc. Far too narrow and the black suede and wooden heels have worn badly.

I can't return them or I would have.

I would recommend them if I'm honest

TiredLittleApple Wed 10-Feb-16 05:43:04

Oh and the store at the time told me they would stretch to take a tight fit as they suede would give after some wear.

I'm still waiting.

keeponkeepinon Wed 10-Feb-16 07:18:19

Apple, thanks for that. I had seen a review that said the wood effect has scraped off. And they are narrow to the point I may even try a size bigger than usual - I never ever get a size bigger.
I suppose the narrow fit is part of the look. Some shoe boot types can look a bit like clogs! Or hooves!

TiredLittleApple Wed 10-Feb-16 10:36:06

Wouldn't!
damn phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now