Talk

Advanced search

one manky toenail

(21 Posts)
MrsFlorrick Sun 07-Feb-16 23:30:10

Help!! One manky toenail. The rest I fine. I managed to get rid of a mild nail fungal infection on a few of my toe nails.

Except one. My big toe. And it's awful. Really awful. It seems the fungal infection seems to have gotten under the nail and is worse. Currently nothing is working.

It seems to have gotten under the nail after DS jumped on my foot and cracked that nail.

The emergency is that we are going on holiday next week and I really don't want to be showing my disgusting nail off at an exclusive 5 star hotel (warm beach location so feet will be on show).

What can I do to hide the disgusting yellowy browny toenail. sad

I do hope someone has a solution. And can spare me major blush

maybemyrtle Sun 07-Feb-16 23:41:00

Paint it?

calzone Sun 07-Feb-16 23:43:14

Nothing you can do before your holiday so paint it a dark red and pretend it's fine.

MrsFlorrick Sun 07-Feb-16 23:52:14

Thank you. (Weeps).

Won't painting it make it worse??

notapizzaeater Sun 07-Feb-16 23:59:43

Paint it or get a false nail (acrylic type) put on

MrsFlorrick Mon 08-Feb-16 00:05:10

Oooh. Hadn't considered an acrylic nail. Interesting. However I would have to expose my disgusting toe to some poor acrylic nail person. blush

Lurleene Mon 08-Feb-16 00:09:02

Anyone near you do Wilde Pedique treatments? That may be the answer.

ChesterFuckingDraws Mon 08-Feb-16 00:11:46

Paint it for your holiday, no one will be any wiser. Get your hands on s curanail pen thingy it got rid of a pretty rank fungal infection on my big toe nail that had resulted in me losing half the nail (vertically) nail is now back to normal and looks fine.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 08-Feb-16 00:16:25

Agree with everyone else. Paint it or get a fake nail for the holiday, treat it heavily when you get back.

I have a black toenail. I hurt it at the Christmas party in November and it's still black. At least infections are treatable smile

PennyHasNoSurname Mon 08-Feb-16 00:30:42

Vicks vapour rub.

Nightly, slathered on, sock on. Repeat for a fortnight.

MrsFlorrick Mon 08-Feb-16 00:37:27

Penny. I tried Vicks. It worked on thee three other bad nails. However after DS jumped on my foot last summer and cracked the nail, it seems the infection went underneath somehow.

I am wondering whether to shell out for laser treament when I get back.

I've avoided all nail varnish for ages due to the fungal infection as I think it can make it worse.

Will the nail varnish actually stick to the manky nail? I do hope so!!

Indecisivejo Mon 08-Feb-16 08:12:12

You need to be careful, I had something similar I banged my toe on radiator and thought nothing of it except ouch then gradually my nail started going funny and the pain was excruciating so had to go see a podiatrist and had no option but to have my nail removed. I still have problems with it now it is prone to infection.

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 08-Feb-16 08:15:52

Yes yes yes, listen to Indecisivejo!!
I kicked a chest of drawers a few years ago, broke my little toe, ripped half the nail off and cracked the rest. Had a pretty nasty cut too. Got it splinted, stitched and treatment to avoid infection. Went on holiday, got sand in it, got an infection. My toe looked like a zombie toe sad can you not see your GP or a podiatrist before your holiday??

Ilovenannyplum Mon 08-Feb-16 08:47:18

I've got 2 manky toenails, on holiday, I just paint them very dark colours and forget about them.

I've realised that people probably aren't looking at my feet and if they are, I'm never going to see them again so who cares!
Enjoy your holiday smile

MrsFlorrick Mon 08-Feb-16 14:14:51

Indecisivejo and mybreadiseggy

I've already taken it to the GP at the early stages and GP said keep treating it with antifungals. I've done so but no luck yet.

I've not tried curanail but will now.

It's not painful at all. It just looks so disgusting. Yuck. I'm just trying to spare others the pain of my yucky toe.

MrsFlorrick Mon 08-Feb-16 14:16:18

I've been treating this bloody nail for about 9 months now.

As i said the other treated during the same period of time have all cleared up long ago. Grim.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 08-Feb-16 15:51:04

Paint it yourself and see a doctor.
A nail tech can't touch a fungal infection and acrylic on top would make it worse plus infect the whole salon.

MrsFlorrick Mon 08-Feb-16 19:31:08

Itsbetter. Thanks that's what I thought. Also not sure it would be helpful for the manky nail to have an acrylic stuck on top. Ugh.

Never had anything like this before sad

It's just gross.

Anyway when I paint the nail do I need to use a separate bottle of nail polish to avoid infecting the rest?

JapanNextYear Mon 08-Feb-16 19:33:14

Pure tea tree oil sorted mine. Morning and night for a while...

Happy50 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:06:05

Pure tea tree essential oil
Get a good brand like Tisserand, Neals Yard or Thursday's Planation

CountryRoadTakeMeHome Mon 08-Feb-16 21:19:32

I took terbinafine prescribed by my GP for 3 months to treat my fungus, worked a treat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now