Talk

Advanced search

To those of you who've waxed your moustache before

(20 Posts)
tobee Sun 07-Feb-16 16:45:18

I've always bleached mine but it doesn't always work, takes forever and can be a bit painful.

So, if you've waxed your "upper lip" before, what happened with regrowth? Do you get a kind of dark stubble before it's long enough to wax again? That's what's always put me off taking the plunge.

Borninthe60s Sun 07-Feb-16 16:47:06

I get mine waxed, it doesn't grow back as thick and fast as my eyebrows but I know it's there. I wear foundation and with bleaching you still see the hair. I have eyebrows waxed every 6 weeks and "upper lip" as they call it in the salon every other time usually. I suppose it depends on how dark you are.

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Sun 07-Feb-16 16:48:23

I think this depends on how thick your hairs are. Mine are very dark, but are fairly fine, apart from a few thick ones. I wax mine, and then as soon as the thick ones start coming through I tweezer them out.

If you have very thick ones, you could perhaps do a mixture of waxing and bleaching maybe? Bleaching the re growth.

burnishedsilver Sun 07-Feb-16 16:59:42

Mine is barely noticeable as it grows back.

You could always bleach the regrowth until it's ready for waxing.

2snugglets Sun 07-Feb-16 17:02:59

I use my no-no it's great always smooth top lip now

fuzzywuzzy Sun 07-Feb-16 17:06:32

I used to wax me be but waxing is harsh on face imo I now thread.

Narp Sun 07-Feb-16 18:21:54

I had mine lasered, which got most of them. If you can save up for it and have dark hair, I'd recommend.

I use an epilator on mine now - the ones that remained after laser treatment are blonde. It hurts but you can numb with ice. I also shave (!) in an emergency

MsAlbertine Sun 07-Feb-16 20:09:54

You can feel it coming back even if you can't see it.

Not as thick as pre waxing though.

P1nkP0ppy Sun 07-Feb-16 20:13:52

I get mine threaded; I no longer get annoying ingrowing hairs since doing this, regrowth is slower and it gives a better result.

EdithWeston Sun 07-Feb-16 20:16:41

Does anyone use episticks?

And if so, do you use the ones that look like sticky cotton wool buds? Or the ones with what looks like springs?

Milliways Sun 07-Feb-16 20:20:25

Waxing made me go spotty, and I am allergic to the creams so I get mine threaded very occasionally if feeling brave, but I do successfully use an epistick after reading about them on here, best <£2 eBay purchase ever.
Mine looks like a massive cotton bud but it is a spring in the middle.

EdithWeston Sun 07-Feb-16 20:59:08

Are there any actual shops that sell them?

I think I may need to give them a try. I have been plucking what I fondly delude myself is the odd darker hair, but DD was a bit too frank the other day, and I think I need to Take Steps.

And, back to the original point of the thread, what is regrowth like if you use episticks?

tobee Sun 07-Feb-16 23:30:40

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting. There's quite a lot to think about still.

Doobigetta Mon 08-Feb-16 18:19:08

I think I saw epistick type things in Boots recently, although they were about a tenner as opposed to a pound on Amazon.
Regrowth with them is the same as with waxing and threading, I've found. Although my problem has always been blonde hairs that sparkle fetchingly when the light hits them, rather than the dark fuzzy sort. The other good thing about episticks though is you can have a half-arsed go at it every couple of weeks, rather than storing it all up for a monthly salon visit and then the journey home with a bright red upper lip for people to point and stare at.

SevenSeconds Mon 08-Feb-16 18:20:23

I get mine waxed occasionally. You can't really notice it growing back.

MargotLovedTom Mon 08-Feb-16 18:22:52

I found the epistick made me really spotty.

megletthesecond Mon 08-Feb-16 18:23:34

My upper lip is the only part of me that doesn't get ingrowing hairs. It's much finer these days.

MargotLovedTom Mon 08-Feb-16 18:23:47

Also, what the heck is a 'no-no'?!

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Mon 08-Feb-16 18:26:27

In my teens and twenties I waxed every other week and bleached in between. Now I just wax at home every Saturday morning and pluck any thick dark ones as they appear. I started waxing at 13. From 11-13 I tried hair removal cream but it smells and is messy. It lasted about a month way back then.

TheIceCreamCometh Mon 08-Feb-16 20:14:46

Episticks are brilliant, it was recommended on here. I used to Nair but my skin started getting too sensitive. I just use it as i feel some regrowth. It's like a cross between tweezing and threading, so easy and effective (and I don't get the red marks I do with waxing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now