Talk

Advanced search

If you have shiny wavy hair, how did you get it?

(8 Posts)
muddymary Sat 06-Feb-16 22:43:41

So I have two issues with my hair. The first is that it's dull and really brittle. I'd love to know a product that makes it really glossy.

The second is that it's so thick and heavy. I'd love loose beachy waves but it just won't hold a wave at all. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can get it to stay wavy for longer than ten minutes.

My hair is the bane of my life so any suggestions will be gratefully received!!

Quoteunquote Sun 07-Feb-16 19:30:26

faith in nature shampoo and conditioner,

Avoid all the 'brand" shampoos, go to your local health food shop and get stuff without paragons and silicones in them, loads available, eventually your lovely hair will come back, as long as you don't use the crap ones again.

insertimaginativeusername Sun 07-Feb-16 19:57:34

Do you colour your hair?

Good conditioning is needed and the type depends on whether you colour or not. Philip Kingsley elasticizer is pricey but good and coconut oil is great for deep conditioning.

Decent, regular cuts keep it healthy.

As for waves I recommend learning how to use a slim wand.

Hope that helps smile

whataboutbob Sun 07-Feb-16 21:29:36

I also have wavy hair that's gone from oily as a teenager to dry now I'm in late 40s. I use the no 'poo method (I wash with conditioner not shampoo, lots of info online) and it certainly helps. Dry wavy/ curly hair needs moisture. I also use Faith in Nature products as they are silicone free, I buy in health food shops or Oxfam. This is the only thing that has made a difference, even DH noticed. Expensive conditioners just didn t work for me.

Quoteunquote Sun 07-Feb-16 22:21:16

I really rate mason and pearson brushes they don't ruin hair.

You need to stick with the faith in nature or any non paragons and silicones ones, because if you even use a nasty normal one once it re coats the hair.

I for got oxfam do them.

My SiL who spends more money on hair than I earn, has made the change and is delighted with the results.

bookishandblondish Mon 08-Feb-16 20:29:15

Honestly, loads of veg, avocados and oily fish. I ate loads last summer and had amazing hair and nails. Didn't matter what products I used, it was diet and a good hair cut. Took about 8 weeks to start showing.
( I'd had a really stressful year - work & operation & forced moving house and it showed in my hair)

Wavy - mines genetic. I do get a good proper cut at vidal sassoon though which puts shape into it.

MadisonMontgomery Mon 08-Feb-16 21:07:37

Every Sunday I put coconut oil on my hair & leave it for a few hours then wash hair as normal. Really does make a big difference.

Nettletheelf Tue 09-Feb-16 20:51:00

Being dark helps. It reflects the light better.

Yes to eating avocados, etc.

Most of it is genetic, unfortunately. I'm lucky that mine is shiny but I hate my waves so I flatten the hell out of them with GHDs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now