Caramel highlights on dark hair- Too 90's?

(10 Posts)
nearlyovertherainbow Fri 05-Feb-16 10:38:21

Hi,

Sorry, I've gone a bit crazy with the s&b posting! grin

I've got long dark hair (not black) and was considering some red or purple highlights, but was recommend by my hairdresser to try caramel and maybe some other colours. I'm quite weary of looking a bit stripey 90's confused She insisted I would be very subtle and more blended than stripey. A dialed down ombre perhaps, so not having the colour close to the roots.

Thoughts please smile

nearlyovertherainbow Fri 05-Feb-16 11:51:09

Any thoughts?.....Any thoughts at all?

Kennington Fri 05-Feb-16 13:32:38

Balayage?
But I like the 90s look!

Vintagebeads Fri 05-Feb-16 13:37:01

I like the way Olivia Palermo does caramel hightlights

Corygal1 Fri 05-Feb-16 13:38:23

I think it sounds great as long as they are subtle - such a MN answer I know, but you don't want to be mistaken for a bad-home-hair job.

But I think pink sounds better...

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 05-Feb-16 13:45:54

I've for hair similar to yours and that kind of ombré / baylage effect is what I wanted. But I ended up with 90s / atomic kitten type stripes. I went back and for the ones on the top tones down, but I still ended up getting a home due pack in dark brown to cover it.

I thought is explained myself well, had a Pinterest board full of pics, and I know she's a good colourist so I'm not sure how the hell it went so wrong.

nearlyovertherainbow Fri 05-Feb-16 16:48:44

Cory, pink?! Really?!

Why, that sounds incredibly frustrating angry I've never even used this hairdresser before, but they do have a good reputation. Fingers crossed, ey. Are you all sorted now? Ie, de-automic kittened....

WhyIRayLiotta Fri 05-Feb-16 19:00:15

Yep, plain dark brown for the time being. Kind of itching for a change though. Maybe I'll get a fringe. Again.

burnishedsilver Fri 05-Feb-16 19:32:43

I don't see how caramel on dark brown hair could possibly be subtle. There's a big contrast there. I'd expect stripes.

nearlyovertherainbow Fri 05-Feb-16 20:12:02

Why I would actually quite like a fringe, but I think I'd end up with one of those really heavy, long fringes. I don't mean long, covering my eyes, I mean long from where the fringe starts.....if that makes sense. Plus my dp hates them! grin

burn, I know what you mean. I think she just wanted to put flashes through it, not over it and maybe more a burnt caramel??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now