Talk

Advanced search

No wash hair-self cleaning? It's bollox no?

(80 Posts)
SlinkyVagabond Thu 04-Feb-16 18:48:05

I know someone at work who today joined a conversation about shampoo (I know-gripping)by saying they hadn't washed their hair for 5 years. Just wet it and that's it as shampoo strips all the oil. Tbh their hair looks terrible, lank and greasy. I've heard this before (from friends of the hippy persuasion) but it is a load of tosh isn't it?

specialsubject Thu 04-Feb-16 18:49:30

as you've seen proved. Might work in the cave but in the mucky modern world, this person must REEK.

breezeharbour Thu 04-Feb-16 18:52:13

I tried it once as a last resort for my sensitive scalp. I managed about a week and a half I think, before I gave in and went back to my usual shampoo. I couldn't go out the house by then, it was horrendously greasy and itched like mad.

73dexter Thu 04-Feb-16 18:52:39

When I was a teenager a friend of mine didn't wash his hair for over a year. It got really horrible and smelly so he asked me to help him wash it. The water was black and it was utterly revolting. It took about 2 hours to clean it and comb out all the knots.

MagicalHamSandwich Thu 04-Feb-16 18:53:09

Works for a friend of mine - but she has really dry, super brittle afro curled hair. Hers looks great. Would never work with my hair, I'd just lose all volume and look like a greaseball.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Thu 04-Feb-16 18:53:59

Yes it's bollocks, I tried it for a week due to being so ill. I think only if your a small child you can get away with it.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 04-Feb-16 18:54:17

I don't use shampoo but I do use conditioner.
Always felt that shampoo was really harsh on my hair and conditioner was just rebalancing what the shampoo did. Made the leap when I read about the curly girl no shampoo method. Now I don't follow lots of it, and have my hair straight over half the time but haven't missed the shampoo I have to say.
But just water as mentioned in the OP wouldn't cut it for me.

DurhamDurham Thu 04-Feb-16 18:55:50

I think the no washing method forgets to take into account all the pollutants in the air. How can hair possibly clean itself when faced with a barrage of pollution confused

SlinkyVagabond Thu 04-Feb-16 18:57:18

Well they teach and their partner is very fastidious so I doubt they do, but it just makes me hmm. I couldn't imagine running your hands through it. And what is the point? It's not a health threatening issue. Ds had a mate who did it when he grew dreads, I think either his gf or his mates had a word.

Chrysanthemum5 Thu 04-Feb-16 18:59:55

I knew someone who didn't wash his hair and once it had got past the greasy stage it was fine, no smell at all. Unfortunately if it got wet eg in rain ect it was back to square one so most of the time his hair was at the greasy horrible stage!

HopeClearwater Thu 04-Feb-16 19:33:11

I thought the idea was that although you didn't use shampoo, you still rinsed it with water daily to get rid of dirt?

redhat Thu 04-Feb-16 19:36:49

there is no way you would have lovely swishy hair without washing it. It sounds horrible. Can you imagine the smell? Yuck

toffeeboffin Thu 04-Feb-16 19:37:55

They must actually stink the bloody office out.

Who admits to that?! don't say your colleague

mawbroon Thu 04-Feb-16 19:39:00

My kids are 10 and 5 and have never used shampoo. Their hair does get rinsed when they shower/bath and it's pretty short. Nobody would ever know.

But, I think that is a different kettle of fish from suddenly stopping using shampoo.

73dexter Thu 04-Feb-16 20:11:31

I guess it is different with little kids as they don't have all the hormones and smells that adults have.

RudeElf Thu 04-Feb-16 20:17:10

I tried this a few years ago. Except i used bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar. I only managed a couple of weeks as a) every website i went on was giving different instructions/volumes of product and it seemed like it would be A LOT of trial and error that i didnt have patience for and b) i really missed the smell of shampoo on my hair grin

Kennington Thu 04-Feb-16 20:18:32

I rinse with conditioner a lot but the point is to rinse out all the crap that gets caught in it - pollutants etc
It is bollox though as it kind of feels itchy if I don't whack in some shampoo once a week!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 04-Feb-16 20:20:37

I always think that the theory that hair only needs washing because it gets washed must be bollocks because nobody starts off by washing their child's hair every day (unless they're a vomit monster baby and very messy weaner). You wash their hair weekly or whatever, whenever it gets paint in it, and then gradually you (or they) notice that it gets a bit pongy after four days, so you wash it bi-weekly, and then you notice that it's getting pongy after 3 days so you wash it every other day and then you maybe end up washing it every day - but the oil production causes the washing, not vice versa.

(Talking about Caucasian hair though - I gather it works differently with Afro hair.)

RudeElf Thu 04-Feb-16 20:29:44

My son is 10 and for the last couple of years his hair has had a really string smell to it. It isnt pleasant and i can smell it if he walks past me. He has a bath most evenings and washes his hair with shampoo but the smell can be there again by next afternoon. No way could i let him go without washing it.

hollinhurst84 Thu 04-Feb-16 20:39:12

I just use conditioner but I am washing it! V occasionally shampoo

Destinysdaughter Thu 04-Feb-16 21:56:53

I wonder what pp used before shampoo..?

Destinysdaughter Thu 04-Feb-16 22:02:39

Was curious so I googled it. Fascinating. Pp used things like soap, tea, vinegar,even rum to clean their hair!

ourheritageofhealth.com/victorian-shampoo-alternatives/

RudeElf Thu 04-Feb-16 22:05:56

Rum? shock what a bloody waste pouring it on your hair! give it all to me FFS! grin

SmallGreenBouncyBall Thu 04-Feb-16 22:12:06

I wonder what pp used before shampoo..?

soap? ash (as dry shampoo)?

or they ponged to high heaven (very likely)

redhat Fri 05-Feb-16 07:31:34

DS2 is a very reluctant hair washer. he'll get into the bath, wet his hair (in fact he will lie back and soak it for ages) but only puts shampoo on it if I force him to. His hair smells stale on the occasions when he manages to get away with it. It's really not nice and anyone who thinks their hair is the same as it would be with shampoo is kidding themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now