Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Travelling with just hand luggage

(11 Posts)
Leviticus Wed 03-Feb-16 09:54:00

How on earth is this done with all the regulations about liquids and sharps?

I need to travel overnight and will need to take contact lens fluid, shampoo and conditioner. They won't allow it on the plane though, surely?

Any ideas from seasoned travellers?

BestBeforeDate Wed 03-Feb-16 09:58:07

Will you be staying in a hotel? They will have shampoo, though not always conditioner. When they do provide conditioner I always bring it home so I can take it on my next trip, if you see what I mean. Or decant your own into smaller containers.

It is a pain - I do it a lot, so have built up a stash of samples and small bottles of stuff. It's OK if it's just for a night or two, but I do like my own brands of skin stuff if it's any longer.

SheSparkles Wed 03-Feb-16 10:02:16

I know Asda do airline friendly bottles of lens fluid, and you can get little bottles to decant your shampoo and conditioner into-would be plenty for overnight

Cassimin Wed 03-Feb-16 10:06:03

Primark do these bottles too.
You can buy travel size shampoo, conditioner etc from asda and boots. Check the size of the plastic bag you need to put them in on airline info and buy resealable sandwich bags from supermarket.

plumstone Wed 03-Feb-16 10:07:40

Another tip - is once you have cleared security, is purchase from a Boots "air side" Not sure about other airports, but Heathrow, London City and Gatwick do this!!! I wear contact lenses, and for a one or two night business stay, either take a new pair with me, or wear my glasses. Also in the plastic bag, only put stuff in stuff that actually has to be, I used to put all my makeup and toiletries. However, make up brushes, toothbrush, face powder and eyeshadow, and pencils don't actually need to be!! Took me ages to work that out! grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Feb-16 10:14:37

You just buy travel sizes of them or decant into small bottles (all the chemists sell them, Superdrug have a huge range of travel size online).
Then your 100ml bottles go into one small, sealable, clear sandwich bag. All non liquid/gel/creams go into another bag.
It really isn't a problem

jadeperry Wed 03-Feb-16 10:21:31

I have a collection of mini size bottles that I decant toiletries into (I pick them up from hotels even if I've used up the toiletries, just bring the empty bottles home which drives DH mad). I wear disposable contacts. I expect Boots might have travel friendly sizes of contact lens solution? Not sure if I would decant lens solution as it needs to be sterile.

Lush do solid shampoo and other solid products which don't need to go into the liquids bag. I also switch from liquid/cream make up to powder, e.g foundation, blusher.

I also sneakily use a slightly larger sandwich bag than the regulated size (Ikea ones) which allows me to cram that bit extra in, I've never been pulled up on it but I suppose it's a risk. When I'm travelling with DH he always takes some of mine as well.

Epilepsyhelp Wed 03-Feb-16 10:27:10

Pretty much any pharmacy or boots type shop will have travel size lens solution. I have a collection of travel size shampoo conditioner etc but they're easy to buy at the airport too.

maybemyrtle Wed 03-Feb-16 11:42:32

Like everyone else has said, decant or use up samples/travel sizes.

Also keep in mind what is and isn't a liquid - I'm sure the guidelines used to be much stricter than they are now - eg. lipsticks are not liquid (lipgloss is), cream foundation/gel eyeliner/stick deodorant all not liquid etc.

Overnight is easily doable, I have done four day business trips with hand luggage, you'll be fine.

FrustratedFrugal Wed 03-Feb-16 19:34:01

I do it all the time - even for a weeklong stay. Everything as a travel size and some stuff decanted into tiny jars. If you have single use sample sachets, those can work too. I prefer my own shampoo and conditioner but most decent hotels provide them. I divide my cosmetics into pouches, one 1 liter ziploc for wet stuff and another for dry stuff. Lipsticks, powders and brushes on the dry side. Sometimes I put two wet pouches into two separate bins at the security check wink

Leviticus Wed 03-Feb-16 19:40:58

Thanks for the replies. I've left it a bit late to get mini containers but I'll search out some sachets in the cupboard. I'd like to wash my hair on the evening ideally but would then have to take GHDs...

I need to be more low maintenance,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now