Talk

Advanced search

Black Tie - long or cocktail?

(10 Posts)
Oogle Wed 03-Feb-16 08:49:14

I've got an industry dinner to go to this weekend. I've never been before and as I'm going as a guest of my solicitors, I don't feel I can call up and ask "what are you wearing?" grin

As far as I'm aware, it's pre-dinner drinks, dinner with entertainment from a band and then speeches before <grits teeth> a singalong (It's a strange industry!) so no dancing, etc if that makes any difference, it's much more formal.

The industry is heavily dominated by males and there aren't many photos available from previous events so I can't even see what the standard is.

I have a long black dress with a split or a knee length black dress with a small sequinned panel on one side. Shoes I'm unsure of at the moment. Is it still the case that bare legs should not be on show? In which case this limits the shoe option somewhat!

I still haven't lost the baby weight so I'm a size bigger than normal which means these are my only two options as nothing else fits and I'm reluctant to buy something new.

So...what would you wear? Long or cocktail? I bloody hate Black Tie as a dress code!

aurorie11 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:53:48

I've got a black tie event next week, no real idea of format other than its a dinner. I don't think there's a singalong or dancing. Hardly know anyone going and going on my own, I'm going long as I think its formal given some of the people I understand are going.
What would you feel most comfortable in? I'd avoid bare legs

Oogle Wed 03-Feb-16 09:00:51

The singalong is specific to the industry. It sounds horrendous tbh!

I also will not know anyone going except for my solicitor, which is weird!

I think I'd prefer the long dress mainly because I don't get to wear it often! However, I don't know what shoes to wear with it as I'd normally wear strappy or peep toe with it.

I have a lovely glittery navy wrap dress from phase eight which I'd really love to wear (and would wear with nude shoes) but it shows too much cleavage.

Love2dance Wed 03-Feb-16 10:47:11

What sort of industry is it? If it is all lawyers and it's black tie I would definitely go long (speaking as someone who's been to lots of legal formal dinners). Your wrap dress sounds lovely. As long as you're not about to fall out of it and not close to showing nipples it I think cleavage is ok, but it's about what you feel comfortable in.
You can still wear strappy or peep toe shoes, just wear sheer tights or get some toe less tights (M&S sell them) and paint your toe nails! I wore a long dress recently with some flesh coloured toe less tights and peep toe shoes and it was fine.

Oogle Wed 03-Feb-16 11:09:46

It's marine, so male-dominated and not really a formal industry! We normally drink gin in cream chino shorts and blue polo shirts grin

This is the wrap dress www.phase-eight.com/shimmer-maisie-wrap-dress//phase-eight/fcp-productdetail/203219351?locale=en

Love2dance Wed 03-Feb-16 11:32:03

Gorgeous dress! I think it would be lovely for your event. In my experience wrap dresses always seem to go down well with the gents! blush
I agree that if it's formal, no bare legs.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 03-Feb-16 11:34:30

Personally I'd go long.

Sidge Wed 03-Feb-16 11:36:34

I think that whilst lovely, the wrap dress isn't really 'dressy' enough for black tie unless you wear sheer tights, heels and blingy jewellery. I think bare legged and with nude shoes it would look too casual. However if the event is semi-formal rather than formal then it might be fine.

For black tie you don't have to wear floor length but cocktail/evening dress tends to be the way to go.

Oogle Wed 03-Feb-16 11:46:10

I've emailed my solicitor - bit the bullet!

She's wearing cocktail but others wear long so I won't stand out regardless.

I've just ordered this www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight//sissy-sequinned-dress/203237050 as it looks a bit more expensive than the other 2 dresses I have in reserve - I think I'll go long if I can, I don't get to go out much grin

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 03-Feb-16 22:30:25

Very nice dress! Should work perfectly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now