Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to treat milia

(12 Posts)
MamaAwayOnBusiness Tue 02-Feb-16 14:24:59

Hi, I have little deep white spots around the top of my cheeks, had them most of my adult life but they are starting to bother me now as I have more fine wrinkles, it's starting to look messy round there. I have dyhadrated skin, I exfoliate twice or three times a week, use hydrating mask one or twice a week, hydrating serum after cleansing every day followed by a moisturiser with hylaruonic acid. I mostly use Clarins and Neals Yard products. I read that
salicylic acid Exfoliator may help bit im scared to ise it as it may overdry my face. Not sure if it's relevant but I tend to make up only three days a week. Anyone got rid of them successfuly without going to a dermatologist?

PitPatKitKat Tue 02-Feb-16 14:53:57

I have one. It is shrinking pretty fast with use of Bravura London Salycylic peel 3 times a week.

Also avoid makeup and skincare with silicon in them now.

judgelionelnutmeg Tue 02-Feb-16 14:58:30

I get them sometimes and have had them removed at a beauty salon before. No scarring either as a very very fine needle is used to get them out. I did manage to get one out myself once but it left a little scar so I would rather pay a salon to do them.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Tue 02-Feb-16 15:40:14

Thank you both. judgelionel if they are removed one by one it would probably cost me hundreds, I have lots!
PitPat what's your skin type, you don't find that the peel dries all the oil? I guess I can try before going to beauty therapist. What's the reason for no silicon, I haven't read that anywhere being a factor?

PitPatKitKat Tue 02-Feb-16 16:08:43

I have pretty standard combination skin. The Bravura peel is really mild, and I only leave it on for a few minutes. It's designed to be used every other day. I follow up the peel with a hyaluronic serum mixed into a little moisturising mask and just left on like a extra special moisturiser.

The avoiding silicone comes from my never having milia until I started using Glamglow Thirsty Mud. It was the only addition to my skincare routine at the time and a milia popped up soon after. I generally avoid silicone as I know a) it's cheap b) when I use it on my hair it is drying so I thought it might have the same effect on my skin. I made an exception for Glamglow based on a recommendation and then wished I hadn't!

Doobigetta Tue 02-Feb-16 18:20:28

How does the salon remove them, judgelionel? Did it leave a mark? I had a quotation to get all of mine done by a cosmetic surgery place, but I was put off by them saying I'd have noticeable blood blister-type scabs for a week or so afterwards.

redhat Tue 02-Feb-16 18:22:10

I use a very fine needle and get them out myself. Could you not do this?

Hotpatootietimewarp Tue 02-Feb-16 20:32:41

redhat I have little clusters of these on my cheeks. Would a sewing needle do?

MamaAwayOnBusiness Tue 02-Feb-16 21:57:27

PitPat that's really helpful, thank you very much. I'm going to order the peel and see how I get on. That prompted me also to have a check of my other beauty products for silicone.
redhat there are lots of them and they seem quite deep, I wouldn't know where to begin doing them myself. And the idea of needle on my face terrifies me, I'd prefer to see if I can use a product or add/remove something from my routine before I go treatment way.

Did anyone have this done by a dermatologist, and how much does it cost?

Ponymagic Tue 02-Feb-16 22:27:16

I had one on my cheek, hadn't a clue what it was until I read another thread on here. Following the advice on there, I attacked it with a needle (a 6mm medical one) and took great satisfaction in popping it! It blinking hurt though ... took a few days to heal but didn't leave a scar. Have another teeny one very close to my eye on side of nose but am not brave enough ignoring it for now!

redhat Wed 03-Feb-16 07:16:36

I use a very thin sewing needle but I only get the occasional one. It doesn't hurt at all and I have never had any problem with scarring. All you are doing is making a tiny hole for the sebum to come out of. Less chance of scarring than if you squeezed and split the skin.

ICanSeeForMiles Wed 03-Feb-16 07:20:47

I found that exfoliating every day took mine away without any problem. Mine appeared after using Alpha H glycolic peel regularly, there must be different triggers for different skins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now