Talk

Advanced search

Which dress for my 30th!

(31 Posts)
bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 12:07:36

My 30th is coming up soon, looking for something cute for celebrations. Not having a party as such, but having a weekend away with some friends and heading out for dinner and drinks and then going to france with himself! So really, this dress can be used for both celebrations. What I look like: pale as heck, dark brown hair, size 8-10. I was looking at asos and saw these pretties, but not sure if they are a bit formal and wedding-y, (the pink one is a long shot, but so cute I think!) Any advice?

LadyOrangutan Tue 02-Feb-16 12:11:53

For dinner and drinks, the pink and the gold coloured dresses are major over kill.
The grey is lovely and much more adaptable.

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 12:14:03

Thats what I thought. I found the grey blue one first and am pretty sold on it, but the other two are so adorable. But yes, I may look daft down the pub twirling like I'm audrey hepburn. grin

WileHallion Tue 02-Feb-16 12:15:26

The grey one is the nicest but it's still far too 'wedding guest' for me and not suited to the occasion.

The other two are a bit froofy for me.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 02-Feb-16 12:16:02

The first one. The other two won't look right if you're very pale. (I know, I've tried!)

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 12:20:56

Hmm, yes, they are a bit formal. I think if the first dress was a bit shorter it might be more suitable? I'm 5 ft 6, so it could be knee length on me, that could make it too fussy. Do you guys have any more appropriate dresses you have seen you could point me to? Also, cant walk in heels (a recent development) I quite like these sandals, (obviously I'm not sure what to wear them with!) but whats the verdict on these?

MNetter15 Tue 02-Feb-16 12:26:36

They're all beautiful. I bought the third one last year in a different shade, is it chi chi on Asos? I'm a size 10 but it was absolutely tiny in size and unflattering but you may not have that problem if you're an 8.

I'm going to disagree with the others and say they're not too formal, Or weddingy... You're celebrating your 30th birthday grin

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 12:34:47

Naww, thanks! Well I did wear a similar cut dress to the second one for both my 21st and graduation, so I thought a 30th would be ok, but I'm not so sure! Yes, it is chi chi, I LOVE the colour, but it may be a little ott for my celebrations.

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 12:59:35

On a less formal note, I found this closet dress? It might be a bit boring though...

AlwaysHopeful1 Tue 02-Feb-16 13:03:48

I love the blue grey dress. It's your 30th just go for itsmileI would.

pictish Tue 02-Feb-16 13:05:30

Out of those three, the second one. The first is quite formal and the third looks like it might turn the wearer into a sweetie.

icklekid Tue 02-Feb-16 13:08:27

I like the second one but being pale would be concerned it might not suit. The first one length only works if tall but again lovely dress. The third is a bit bright for me but if you love it go for it!

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:08:44

Being persuaded... grin do you think those sandals I posed would be ok with it?

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:08:56

*posted

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:09:30

I mean those sandals for the first one. Confusing myself now!

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:11:11

I do like the second one, but I think its out as I will need gallons of fake tan to make it look ok on me. Not a great look!

MardyGrave Tue 02-Feb-16 13:19:33

Wouldn't wear those sandals with the first dress, the shades don't fit and they feel a bit clumpy. These are nice but the shade might be wrong.

pictish Tue 02-Feb-16 13:27:06

Not the second one then...ok.

Out of the two remaining I would say the lace number. The first one is just too formal for my personal taste. If you like looking 'smart' then by all means it's perfect, but I'm boho so it does nowt for me.

I think your dress is still out there.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 02-Feb-16 13:28:52

I like the 2nd one as well.
Just get some Garnier Summer Body and start applying every other day for around 2-3 weeks prior to all this happening.

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:33:45

Thanks guys, you are so helpful! (For some reason that reads as sarcastic but its really not meant to be!) My dress sense certainly veers more towards formal than boho, I think fitted suits me best. But I think you may be right Pictish, my dress may not be any of these. Hellsbells, thanks but I am super lazy tan-wise, and pretty ok about being transparent (bar a bit of sally hanson on my ham hock legs) grin

Candycoco Tue 02-Feb-16 13:44:50

Where are those sandals from op I really like them?

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:47:07

Asos, they are really cute aren't they? May or may not be googling dresses just to wear with them...
www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-JANINE-Embellished-Summer-Shoes/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5793149&cid=4172&Rf989=5025,5032&sh=0&pge=7&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Nude&totalstyles=359&gridsize=3

Candycoco Tue 02-Feb-16 13:48:50

Ooh thanks for the link, think I'll get myself some. I'm really tall 5'10 and always on the look out for pretty flats. Hope you find the perfect dress smile

bigeegit Tue 02-Feb-16 13:58:19

Ah, ooh, need to get off asos, could do some serious damage. Found this, it needs to be viewed on the catwalk really, it moves so beautifully. I think its pretty without being overly formal. I could even be pushed to tan for this! www.asos.com/Elise-Ryan/Elise-Ryan-Cross-Front-Midi-Dress-with-Fluted-Sleeve/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5881744&cid=8799&Rf-200=9,6&Rf-300=1944&sh=0&pge=4&pgesize=36&sort=-1&clr=Nudepink&totalstyles=221&gridsize=3

SayAGreatBigThankyou Tue 02-Feb-16 21:23:42

Do you have a link to the grey blue one? I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now