Minimalist wardrobe

(11 Posts)
JustWantMyMoneyBack Tue 02-Feb-16 09:44:53

I definitely believe in decision fatigue, and want to reduce my chances of going completely brain-dead by the end of each day by reducing my clothing choices.

But. I wonder if I'll get bored?

I've already minimalised my wardrobe by keeping to a very specific colour scheme (I only wear neutrals like greys and whites, along with blues and oranges) and I've LOVED it. Everything I own "goes" and I don't buy something in the hopes of making it work, but it never does so I end up wasting my money/time/storage space.

Do you have a minimalist style? I am thinking I should just pare down to a few exact same types of trousers/jeans and tops with a dress or two, and a couple of jumpers. How does this work in real life?

I'm a sahm and don't plan on working in an office any time soon, so am only focusing on casual outfits and a nice dress for "Sunday best".

Hopefully Tue 02-Feb-16 10:00:28

I have a fairly minimalist wardrobe and, up to a point, I love it. I love that everything goes and I don't have to think very much. The downsides (which don't outweigh the positive at all, but are there) are that if it gets too minimalist I find it annoying that things wear out more quickly, as I am physically wearing them more often, and when something does wear out I don't have lots of alternatives to wear while I'm hunting down a replacement. Those are really only problems when it gets very bare bones though.

RoganJosh Tue 02-Feb-16 10:04:19

I am trying to do this but am a bit stuck atm. I need to commit to a jeans shape and am finding it hard to predict how long skinny jeans will be around for.

JustWantMyMoneyBack Tue 02-Feb-16 10:15:53

Surely it's best to go with whatever shape suits you best? I'm thinking straight jeans might be the way forward for me.

Kennington Tue 02-Feb-16 12:03:30

Yes I am totally minimalist and I love it
Black skinnies in a variety of lengths and coated/plain. High and low waisted. All from top shop, boden or
Uniqlo. White skinnies in summer.
Merino wool navy black or charcoal grey fine knit jumpers - cold wash and last forever.
Cotton t shirts from uniqlo.
Lots of black ankle boots from m and s and Clarkes.
Black YSL bag.
A couple of 1960 style coats.
If I need it jazzed up I will wear a silk scarf or coloured jewellery- real or fake.
I am super pale too but I like this look.
Plus I never have to think about it. It is the same for work but the trousers are wool skinnies or cotton. And it is quite corporate too.
It works for me and as you say having one of two dresses for going out or weddings means it doesn't feel totally plain.

JasperDamerel Tue 02-Feb-16 12:32:20

I sort of do this as I have Marie Kondoed most of the my clothes away (I have less than a washing machine machine load in total at the moment, which isn't quite enough), so I can see what I have left and what I need.

My wardrobe cull tells me that my neutrals are taupe, navy and off-white, which I wear with teal, sea-foam, damson and dusty blue.

Currently I have

1 pair jeans (straight, indigo)
1 taupe wool dress
1pair taupe linen trousers
1 navy silk cocktail dress
3 t-shirts (Breton stripe, dusty blue, grey)
1 long sleeved top (dusty blue)
1 long sleeved cotton shirt (navy)
3 cardigans (navy, taupe, teal)
1 fair isle jumper (navy, teal, damson)
1 pair DM Aimilie boots (black)
1 pair DM shoes with a slight heel (oxblood).
1 wool coat (navy)
1 grey felt bag

I want to get a second pair of jeans, a warm navy dress, a couple of summery dresses, a couple of long sleeved shirts in taupe and off-white, a pair of frivolous evening shoes, a couple of uniqlo merino jumpers, a spring/summer jacket, and some seasonally appropriate accessories. Also layering vests in my key colours.

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 13:17:49

Oh I'm envious of all of your minimalist wardrobes! Would love to do the same actually. I did recently get rid of quite a lot of stuff, but could definitely do with losing some more. Interesting to read people reducing the number of colours in their wardrobes so everything goes. Great idea.

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 14:43:24

Inspired by this thread I have just taken advantage of nap time to clear out my wardrobe. I now have only neutrals, oranges, reds and purples. Hurrah! I may be cheating a little as I have a couple of dresses which could be purple, navy or royal blue depending. Also have a dress which veers towards yellow rather than truly orange but still it's a vast improvement. I'm ridiculously pleased about this as you can probably tell need to get a life clearly. grin

Re jeans I tend to only wear skinnies anyway. They suit me best and I find them comfortable (as long as my bum is well covered by a long top or cardi). I have wide-legged trousers as well.

Mine is largely minimalist with the occasional bit of lunacy.

So I pretty much live in black and grey, and have a casual 'uniform' of black skinnies and either a grey or black top, often a black roll neck. I then have a variety of biker jackets, coats and scarves, plus a few pairs of Converse, boots and shoes. This can take me to most of the kind of things I do, most of the year, as I rarely need to properly 'dress up'.

Work is similar - largely black or grey skirts, jackets and dresses.

Have a look at the blog called Unfancy, although sadly she's stopped updating it.

RoganJosh Tue 02-Feb-16 19:14:54

To answer the jeans shape comment, yeah it probably would be best to go for what suits me best but I feel it's an easy way of not looking frumpy without putting as much effort in to the other bits. I look OK in both skinny and bootcut/slim.

YaySirNaySir Tue 02-Feb-16 19:46:38

I have five mix n match outfits for work for winter, five for spring/autumn and five for summer from about 20 things.
Easy peasy.

At weekends I wear grey, black, coated or blue skinny jeans with 3 or 4 jumpers to choose from and half a dozen t-shirts/suntops for warmer weather.
Lots of jackets, a few pairs of boots, converse, wedges, flip flops and a pair of sandals. I have a couple of posh frocks and nice pencil skirts and a few nicer tops for occasions/meals out, but mostly wear jeans to the pub.
I don't get bored cus that's still a lot to choose from and no need to rifle through all the crap that I used to have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now