Talk

Advanced search

Prom dress for my super-petite dd - advice?

(23 Posts)
nicepetstone Mon 01-Feb-16 22:38:18

And I mean super-petite; size 4 clothes are often too big; she is tiny, well below 5' . She has a lovely figure, slender with slim waist but not thin, all in proportion but VERY short legs.

I think we're going to have to get her prom dress made, will try to find a local dressmaker so it can be fitted properly, but wondered if anyone out tehre who understands these things could suggest a shape/style that might suit and enable her to look 16 and not 6. At the moment she is leaning towards long, but will go with what suits her I think. I think she looks lovely in shapes that finish just above the knee, and fitted is always flattering to her IMO. But other than that I'm entirely clueless! How would that translate into a prom dress? How can she avoid looking like a dolly to put over your loo roll?? Help!

Oh and sorry very bad form I am posting just before going to bed, but will look eagerly for suggestions in the morning.

TIA fashionistas smile

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 07:57:24

I have a friend who is a similar shape OP! She is now in her thirties and looks her age or maybe a little bit younger, but clearly an adult. She used to really struggle with looking a lot younger than she is. She always avoids pink, bows and florals as she thinks these make her look younger. She has always tended to go for full coverage too in neutral colours or darker shades (full length skirts, high neck lines, sleeves not sleeveless), but this might just be her personal taste. She looks very classy and sophisticated. Most people wore full length at my formal (like a prom) so I would suspect that is better than above the knee, though times may have changed obviously!

Cheryl Fernandes Rossini is quite slim and petite and I'm sure I've seen her in some gorgeous full length gowns.

nicepetstone Tue 02-Feb-16 09:44:27

Thank you Lady P! Just found a pale gold strapless brocade dress in a kind 'snugly draped' style which seems to meet these guidelines. And they have it in a 4...

Achangeisadgoodasarest Tue 02-Feb-16 09:44:52

Take a look at the ASOS petite range online, they have some great prom type dresses, starting at a uk 2. Mostly very trendy styles, and may even fit her off the peg. Or maybe just a few alterations, rather than getting one made from scratch.

I'm probably not quite as tiny as your DD, and much older, but I always try to keep dresses as plain as possible, to avoid looking like a flower girl! Then wear quite fierce shoes, to look grown up. Good luck.

MrsJayy Tue 02-Feb-16 09:52:23

Dd had a size 8 prom dress was hoooge waves of material we bought it online anyway we got it altered the dress maker did a fab job.saying that your dd could get away with a girls size look at US or Sites from Hongkong at girls pagent dresess

RapidlyOscillating Tue 02-Feb-16 09:57:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 10:08:24

Sounds lovely OP!

nicepetstone Tue 02-Feb-16 10:27:44

Thanks everyone, yes hadn't thought of asos but size 2 sounds promising! And yes, she does have quite an oriental/asian build - I remember feeling like a lumbering giant in Indonesia at 5'3" so HK sounds a great place to look. Will check out lily collins on the red carpet smile thanks all

MrsJayy Tue 02-Feb-16 10:30:49

Dd1 got her dress from HK she was superslim at school fitted well and not that expensive

nicepetstone Tue 02-Feb-16 10:31:50

Ps she's practising with the fierce shoes too - they take it all so seriously!

MrsJayy Tue 02-Feb-16 10:51:34

Yeah they do i was quietly meh about it but they get very excited about it and have a great night

pointyshoes Tue 02-Feb-16 12:33:33

We had the exact same problem with my DD (now 19). She is very nearly 5' tall, but a small size 4 with tiny waist and long legs. She won't ever wear anything floral/cute as she thinks she looks about 8 in that sort of thing.She had 2 proms at school and both times wore plain dresses, neither super fitted but not drowning her either. The first time we picked up something on ebay for £25 (short, not fitted, strappy). The 6th form one, we found a beautiful long dress in the New Look petite range, lovely fit and flattering. Other places we looked that had suitable stuff included Lipsy (tiny sizes and usually very fitted) and ASOS. Top Shop and Dorothy Perkins sometimes have suitable stuff in their petites range. Hope you find something you both like!

pointyshoes Tue 02-Feb-16 12:36:12

Meant to say, she also avoids strapless dresses because she worries they'll be too revealing and she'd rather feel "safe" and not have to worry about hitching the dress up all the time

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 02-Feb-16 13:02:48

A lot of strapless dresses have a band to hold them in place - if it's a straight top it's not revealing - some of the sweet hart necklines have a band of mesh to cover up the boobs - great for younger girls who want to look grown up but not ready to let it all hang out!!

Have you looked at short dresses with a longer revealing skirt - so a flash of leg?

wonkylegs Tue 02-Feb-16 13:13:20

I wore something similar to m.aliexpress.com/item/32306941810.html?productId=32306941810&productSubject=Elegant-2015-High-Neck-Black-Mermaid-Prom-Dresses-High-Side-Split-Velvet-Rhinestones-Long-Evening-Gowns&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail except mine had a plain split but was lined in red silk - this was my school ball.
I'm 4'11 and at that age I was a size 4.
I altered my dress myself but you could easily have it altered by a dressmaker if you weren't as confident.
Killer shoes always help as does an up hair do.
I have worn many many ball gowns over the years and tend to stick to clean lines and single colours, I avoid sweetheart necklines and bows as they make me look like a child even now and I'm heading for 40.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 02-Feb-16 13:18:04

These are pretty

nicepetstone Tue 02-Feb-16 14:06:43

Oh some lovely ideas - I'm starting to enjoy this! This is the one I found earlier, its a lovely heavily embroidered chiffon-over-lining, I think (photo a bit rubbish)

I'm pretty sure she'll got for an updo, which I think really suits her. Very helpful shop suggestions; topshop petite 4 does sometimes fit her well, and Miss Selfridge. Definitely going for a slender fitted shape and all one colour.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 02-Feb-16 14:51:39

Yes that's very grown up - not a little girl dress!!

FauxFox Tue 02-Feb-16 15:12:16

nude or navy petite size 2
green fishtail petite size 2

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 15:35:08

Really like the one you found OP but love the ones faux just posted!

nicepetstone Tue 02-Feb-16 16:44:15

yes me too, Lady P, especially the pink one with the thigh split!

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 02-Feb-16 19:41:40

smile OP now you've got some options! Hope your DD has a brilliant time.

Tigerblue Wed 03-Feb-16 09:42:04

OP, just to say I hope your DD finds something she loves. I think I'll be in the same boat with my DD next year, but I think she'll be happy with a shorter dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now