Can people talk to me about work wear?

(17 Posts)
SquirrelFruitandNutkin Mon 01-Feb-16 21:38:16

I've been a SAHM for 3 years and am going to start looking for a job. 😬

But I really have no idea what people wear to work anymore! Or at all really. I used to be a teacher and in reception it was all practical, washable, layers.

I think I'm going to need an interview outfit at least.

Where do I start? 😳

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 21:39:51

Are you looking to go back to teaching? My last teaching interview I wore a smart dress from lk Bennett.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Mon 01-Feb-16 21:41:52

No sorry, not teaching. πŸ˜” My love of the job was slowly ground out.

So I'm not even sure what sort of job I'm looking for yet!

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 21:48:45

I think that's pretty common! I think what you wear to an interview depends on what sort of job it is-my friends in creative industries have gone in jeans and blazers but I'd have been sent home to change if I'd turned up like that.

I don't think you can go far wrong with a smart dress and jacket, or trouser suit with a nice top so you can take your jacket off if you want. Heels you can walk in without falling over always a good idea. I get lots of work stuff from phase eight (sale), lk Bennett (sale) and Sainsburys (not sale).

Good luck with the job hunting. smile

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 01-Feb-16 21:48:50

Smart single coloured plain dress? Tailored or skater depending on body shape.

I don't know what your budget is, but something like this from Sainsburys would be a reasonable place to start.

Fit and Flare from Gap worth considering if that's a better shape for you.

And a jacket. Again, try the supermarkets, or even charity shops if you have good ones.

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 22:04:12

www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0215-5328-1185L00&productvarid=0215-5328-1185L00-BLACK-12&refpage=dresses

This is basically the same as mine...I wear it with a grey jacket, purple tights (it looks nice, honest) and black boring clarks heels with are super comfy.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 01-Feb-16 22:06:51

Oh I fancy that Hobbs dress Purple. V tempting if only I didn't have 6 plain black work dresses in an assortment of shapes already blush.

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 22:08:25

I am exactly the same-I love plain black dresses. They go with everything! grin

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Tue 02-Feb-16 09:43:53

Well if nothing else I'm going to have to reign in my attraction to colour. 😬 And find some heels I can walk in!

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 09:47:15

Don't worry about that-my PGCE interview I wore a royal blue dress in the same style as the black one with a black jacket, and if you're more comfortable in flats there are some lovely smart ones around. I'd stay away from busy prints but there's nothing wrong with colour.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Tue 02-Feb-16 10:44:26

Would a pencil skirt and blouse with some slipper type flats be ok?

Think I might have to get me to primark, the SAHM budget doesn't stretch to Hobbs at the mo! πŸ˜‰

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Tue 02-Feb-16 10:47:12

This sort of shoe I mean

PurpleDaisies Tue 02-Feb-16 10:49:22

That sounds lovely! I like the shoes too.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Tue 02-Feb-16 10:53:24

Yeah - shoes are all sold out of my size tho.

Thanks for the reassurance I'm not too far off track! πŸ˜„

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 02-Feb-16 20:50:18

Yes a blouse (non-transparent, nobody wants to see your underwear) and well fitting pencil skirt would be absolutely fine. And a dress doesn't have to be black, we just happened to pick black ones to link - but I actually have that Gap skater dress in the blue. As long as it's plain and it's not anything really challenging like Barbie pink or lime green then the Pantone colour chart is your oyster.

The shoes can be flat but they have to be in good nick.

SquirrelFruitandNutkin Wed 03-Feb-16 17:31:09

Oh heck!

I have an informal meeting (not interview) for a job in IT, at the start of next week!

What do I wear?!? 😬

MagicalHamSandwich Wed 03-Feb-16 21:42:07

What kind of IT?

I'm in IT consulting, very reputable firm, and with us it's strictly corporate drone uniform except on client sites (special rules apply there). My office work wear consists of Boss and Armani suits.

OTOH some startups and IT departments in non-IT firms are strictly casual to extraordinarily sloppy. I have a client who wears a vest to the office confused.

Try looking at their website or (if you know their names) LinkedIn profiles to get a sense of what they wear. Then dress just a notch better (except if they wear corporate drone uniform, in which case any well cut, not obviously cheap suit with a good for will do as you'd be insane to buy a ridiculously expensive suit that you never wear outside when they've not made an offer yet).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now