Talk

Advanced search

Black opaque tights with black peep toe ghillie shoe boots?

(12 Posts)
Jmangel Mon 01-Feb-16 18:53:50

So I have to go to a wedding in a couple of weeks and have a dress and ghillie style shoes - you know the ones that look like Irish dancing shoes. The dress is a hollow self portrait style to around the knee but skater style full skirt and the shoes are 4 inch heels. It's going to be too cold to go bare legged but will black opaque tights look silly?

Nettletheelf Mon 01-Feb-16 19:39:22

When you say self portrait, do you mean their dresses with cut outs?

If so, then the answer to your question is yes. Sorry!

Jmangel Mon 01-Feb-16 19:49:50

Hey, yes Self Portrait - the ones that have cut outs and mesh. So you think opaque will look ok?

73dexter Mon 01-Feb-16 20:15:36

I can't really imagine opaque tights with peep toe shoe boots. It doesn't sound great but might look ok in real life. Can you post a photo?

NashvilleQueen Mon 01-Feb-16 20:19:04

Im slightly shuddering at the prospect of opaqueness and peep toes but that may just be a personal issue of mine!

burnishedsilver Mon 01-Feb-16 20:21:48

Nooooo. Lose the tights or change the shoes.

TheAuthoress Mon 01-Feb-16 20:33:36

Another no to peep toe boots and opaques, sorry! I have toe less natural coloured tights from m and s - what about that? They look much nicer IRL than that awful close up pic grin

toe less tights

LadyPriggsbottom Mon 01-Feb-16 20:33:39

I'd probably change the shoes or lose the tights too. I don't know though, if you are quite a daring dresser and were thinking of tights in a contrasting colour as a statement, that might look good on some people (not me). If you wear black tights it might just look like you are denying the peep toe and cut out bits exist or something, which might look a bit odd to me.

Nettletheelf Mon 01-Feb-16 23:36:42

Tights and peep toes look terrible together (sorry OP, the question I answered with "yes" was, "will it look silly?").

Also, those Self Portrait dresses aren't made to go with opaques, I don't think. Too heavy with the mesh and cut outs.

PitPatKitKat Tue 02-Feb-16 04:21:11

Done something similar with opaque tights and black suede wedge heel shoes before . The whole front was open with criss-cross straps, more scottish highland dancing than irish dancing, but similar and yes, open toes.

Made sure I always had velvet effect opaques though, to match the texture of the shoes.

When paired with a black quilted embroidered (the quilting was in a floral pattern) skater skirt and black polo neck I wore black tights.

Or sometimes navy tights with a sort of breton stripey skater/kilt dress with obi belt. Also had a petit bateau breton sweater dress with an open black and black grosgrain ties that did up in a bow, so navy tights with those shoes too.
, although sometimes black as the grosgrain ties co-ordinated with that.

Or wine tights with a wine and black baseball sweater dress (again, sometimes black). Or dark teal or grey tights with a sequinned oversized sweatshirt dress that was grey but the sequins were iridescent with a teal sheen effect in one direction.

All looked pretty good. So the thing I want to ask is what colour is the dress? Because I think that is key- make sure the tights co-ordinate in some way with the dress. So if the dress has some black pieces then fine, if not go with the colour of the dress if you can. If the mesh is self- coloured then you could also think about fine gauge nude coloured fishnets. (That could be a good option if the colour of the dress doesn't lend itself to tights, although you can always go with a more sober tone in the same hue).

ItGoesWithoutSaying Tue 02-Feb-16 08:44:51

Difficult to say without seeing the dress/shoes.

What about black opaque footless tights? Or a contrasting colour tights with the peep-toes? (I'd avail black tights with black peep-toes.)

Jmangel Tue 02-Feb-16 20:08:54

Thanks guys esp KitKat - wow you're wardrobe sounds amazing. Yes the dress is black mesh overlay with a shorter navy blue underlay skirt tbh just all looks black. Think will slapping on the fake tan just in case I bottle it with the tights and then will just have to start drinking early to stay warm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now