if not jeans then what??

(24 Posts)
Donge13 Sun 31-Jan-16 09:59:23

All I ever wear are skinny jeans but I am actually starting to find the denim quite uncomfortable?!
I can't find any dresses I don't look pregnant in, as I am a size 16 apple with a huge tummy blush
So my question is. What is a good alternative to denim for day wear?
Anyone got any suggestions?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 31-Jan-16 10:10:46

Personally, if I were a size 16, I wouldn't be wearing skinny jeans anyway blush.

If you want to stick with trousers, try corduroy. Or how about an a-line skirt with black tights and boots?

slug Sun 31-Jan-16 10:26:29

These come in multiple colours, look like jeans but don't dig in. grin

sandyposy Sun 31-Jan-16 10:30:56

Er, there is nothing wrong about wearing skinnies if size 16. They look great. baggy clothes can be very unflattering, also

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 31-Jan-16 10:32:11

I'm a size 16 and all my jeans are skinny.

Other than that, skater dresses with leggings, leggings and long tops, I have a lot of tops that are shorter at the front and longer at the back as I am aware many people are horrified by a bum only covered by leggings.......... PJs or joggers when I'm at home, which is most of the time. I need inspiration too! But I also need occasions to wear things a bit more smart grin

junebirthdaygirl Sun 31-Jan-16 10:36:45

Agree about skirts. To the knee with black tights. I got lovely ones in m&s. Very flattering and comfortable. Slimming effect. What's not to love.? Wear with plain colour simple top or jumper. The less colour the better. Keep it paired down.

stardusty5 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:37:45

Halfpenny, op can wear whatever she wants and didn't ask for your opinion. A rude comment.

Dresses and tights with ankle boots are comfy and can also look dressy or casual depending how you wear them.

Onamissionfor2015 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:44:55

I'm a 16 and 5' 10

Surely it depends on shape as well as dress size, you can't just randomly think every size 16 looks the same.

Turquoisetamborine Sun 31-Jan-16 10:49:27

I'm a 14 and wear a lot of shortish skirts with thick tights. Not clingy skirts just skater style or a-line. In the winter these are easy to chuck on with thick wooly jumpers.

burnishedsilver Sun 31-Jan-16 11:10:45

Try Gap Girlfriend jeans. It's not a move away from denim but it is a change from skinny jeans and they're very comfortable (speaking as a fellow apple).

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 31-Jan-16 11:29:20

Oh those girlfriend jeans are nice! I'm always too scared to try things on in Gap (or any shop actually). The staff are really attentive and I'm embarrassed in case they don't fit!

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 31-Jan-16 11:33:43

Actually I assumed Gap didn't go up to a 16, like how H&M doesn't fit me.

Didiusfalco Sun 31-Jan-16 11:44:02

M&S do some great cord leggings in their indigo collection in a few colours. They're lovely material, come in all sizes and are sooo much more comfortable than denim. I'm living in them with longer jumpers this winter.

hollieberrie Sun 31-Jan-16 11:53:12

I have really short chunky legs. So skinnies are not really very flattering on me unless I have the right kind of oversized top.

Alternatives I like are - the above mentioned Gap girlfriend jeans grin, some New look Yes Yes straight leg jeans (which look much more expensive than they are - I love them) and also the AMAZINGLY flattering Gap skinny ultra trousers - smart for work but they also dress down well for the weekends.
Also wear a lot of knit dresses tights and boots, and in warmer weather plain tea style dresses (I usually get nice ones from french connection - via eBay).

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 31-Jan-16 12:23:37

I also like stuff like this for the summer.

Donge13 Sun 31-Jan-16 12:59:19

Thanks for all the advice . Need to check out gap and new look. And I love those M&S pants. Will also have a look on ebay.
Anyone got any links to skirts? I've never considered skirts, I don't even own a skirt!

And to the poster who thinks its ok to try and body shame me for being a size 16, these thanksare for you. You must be in a bad place if trying to make a stranger feel bad about themselves makes you feel better .

MissMogwi Sun 31-Jan-16 14:25:11

I haven't got any links but I've just got back from the shops and Dorothy Perkins have lots of A line skirts in. I was eyeing up a Lovely suede type one in a tan colour.

I am a big fan of their Eden jeggings as are many of my friends, very comfy and look great.

As an aside they had lots of reduced boots too (helpful). I don't work for them I promise

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 02-Feb-16 18:51:21

Following this thread I've bought those Gap girlfriend jeans from eBay, and 2 skirts from Sainsburys - one v stretchy grey cord type fabric, pencil skirt knee length; and one navy mini, again v stretchy, jersey sort of material with gold zip up back. Yay!

Sammysquiz Tue 02-Feb-16 21:12:39

They weren't trying to make you feel bad about yourself, just suggesting that skinnies weren't flattering if you're a size 16. There are far more flattering jeans shapes. You're the one who said you were looking for alternatives & found denim uncomfortable!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 02-Feb-16 21:33:26

But the point is you can't say skinnies aren't flattering if you're a size 16 confused people are all different shapes, could be a 6 foot size 16 or a 4ft5 size 16.

And if you're an apple you'll have stonking legs so skinnies are perfect and show off your best bits! (Fellow Apple here)

CoolToned Wed 03-Feb-16 08:22:47

It really depends on the body type. I used to be a size 18 apple. I'm now a size 14 rectangle/brick. 5'8". I wore skinnies then, I wear skinnies now.

Anyway, OP - if you want to try dresses, fit-and-flare dresses look awesome on us apples. smile

Samaritan1 Wed 03-Feb-16 08:28:51

I'm a pear so would never wear skinnies (size 16), but my apple work colleague wears skinnies and leggings and her legs look fab.

She wears long jumpers with leggings/ thick tights and boots op. Very flattering on an apple shape and I think she always looks smart and professional. Evans do some good long tunic style jumpers and lovely ankle/calf boots.

ScarletForYa Wed 03-Feb-16 08:35:04

Skinnies are fine on a size 16 apple MrsLeighHalfpenny (Apples have nice slim legs)

Anyway OP, some places do lovely soft stretchy denim, I'm not sure about the UK but Dunnes in Ireland do, so I'm sure plenty of UK stores do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now