Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Changing buttons on a coat

(15 Posts)
FunkyDancingMonkey Sat 30-Jan-16 21:48:09

I have a military style knee length coat that I bought a few years ago from Mango. Although I like the style of the coat I don't wear it much as the buttons on it are gold coloured (and plastic so look cheap) and as I tend to wear silver it looks out of place/clashes.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has changed the buttons on a coat? Would I be best changing them for plain black buttons? Would cheap ones be ok? I did consider metal 'military' style buttons but worry this could make the coat look too fussy.

Thanks in advance!

SewButtons Sat 30-Jan-16 22:49:34

I often change the buttons on coats/cardigans.
Just go to your local fabric shop and see which buttons you like the look of, bring the coat/a decent picture of it and ask the staff what they think looks best.
If you are going to hand sew them then.make sure you have a decent thimble.

Babymamamama Sat 30-Jan-16 22:53:12

Yes go into a button or craft shop and hold lots of different styles up onto the coat fabric. I've done this and it can make such a difference.

roaringfire Sat 30-Jan-16 22:55:33

I love changing buttons on things, there are lots of lovely buttons out there, on websites and in haberdashery shops. Measure the ones you have so you get the right size and then start looking. Ribbon buttons or velvet or leather knot, the choice is endless!
Lovely buttons can totally change clothing and make them look classy, upmarket and individual. Buy the best you can afford. (can you tell I'm a button freak?)

senua Sat 30-Jan-16 23:08:51

Would cheap ones be ok?

If you are worried about cost then have a search in your local charity shops. Look at garments and, ignoring the cut and colour of the existing thing, concentrate on just the buttons. I found a unlovely coat with a lovely set of military-style buttons that I transferred onto DD's coat. They were antique-y so not as brash and fussy as shiny ones.
They took some finding but were worth it.

FunkyDancingMonkey Sat 30-Jan-16 23:18:38

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately there are no fabric stores nearby. I live in the Highlands of Scotland so do most of my shopping online. Not seeing the buttons in the flesh, so to speak, makes it so much more difficult.

However, will try my local charity shops.

FunkyDancingMonkey Sat 30-Jan-16 23:19:23

Any suggestions on good websites to try?

elephantoverthehill Sat 30-Jan-16 23:23:47

I'm not sure if it will suit your coat but I like the trend at the moment if mismatched buttons. Obviously they have to be all the same size. Failing that try the charity shops and buy a garment with buttons you like and reuse them.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 30-Jan-16 23:31:10

I often change buttons on coats and jackets - gives them a new lease of life.

From your description of yours I'd replace with matte silver dome buttons.

roaringfire Sat 30-Jan-16 23:34:04

this kind of thing?

roaringfire Sat 30-Jan-16 23:37:37

or this?

goddessofsmallthings Sun 31-Jan-16 04:19:00

Changing the buttons can transform a garment. As I don't like real or faux metal buttons I'd go for unusual or quirky black buttons rather than bog-standard black plastic.

Measure one of the buttons to get the width/diameter in millimetres and put black or silver or black&white button (size)mm in eBay's search engine.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Sun 31-Jan-16 04:36:28

Changing the buttons can transform a garment

Absolutely spot on! Go for it Funky. It's a great way to individualise clothes. There are some gorgeous buttons available which will make your coat look like a real one off.

dudsville Sun 31-Jan-16 07:22:37

Do you ever get to a bigger town that had a haberdashery? If so is just keep it on your to do list as a job to do in person. It's a quick job once you have the buttons. My tip : when you remove the old buttons leave the thread that held the button in place so that you can locate where to place the new one. Only take or the old thread once you're poised with new thread and button.

FunkyDancingMonkey Sun 31-Jan-16 08:43:11

Thank you everyone, I'm inspired and motivated to change out the buttons so I'm off to get started!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now