Is this ok for a job interview....

(16 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Fri 29-Jan-16 19:54:20

Professional role. I hate wearing suits they make me uncomfortable. Im always in smart dresses at work soooo...
This dress, with a cropped black blazer nude tights and black patent courts.
Or should I go for black tights....but I think that may be too much of a 'block'.
And hair up or down (long hair just coloured back to a rich brown)

Hawest1 Fri 29-Jan-16 19:55:38

I like it, I think it would look really smart & you would stand out smile

Flossiesmummy Fri 29-Jan-16 19:56:31

I'm not all over it tbh. I love the shape of the dress but it looks like it's more of a jersey type fabric than a suit type fabric.

I think a more formal material would make a better outfit.

WipsGlitter Fri 29-Jan-16 22:43:01

I've just done interviews. I would think you looked very smart in that.

ChristineDePisan Sat 30-Jan-16 02:44:43

fine for an admin role or something like a teacher, where although professional not expected to be suited and booted. I wouldn't think it was smart enough for a high level professional position, sorry.

venusinscorpio Sat 30-Jan-16 03:02:08

I like it a lot. It depends on the industry as to whether it would be considered smart enough I guess. It would be fine in the public sector to quite a high level with some great shoes. It would make quite a polished outfit and I love the colour, it says confidence to me. I'd be inclined to go for the colour block of black opaque tights which makes more of a sharp statement, but maybe that's just me!

PitilessYank Sat 30-Jan-16 03:35:16

Pardon me for asking, but aren't bare legs more common nowadays, rather than nude tights? I haven't seen nude tights in a long time at my workplace.

In the winter we wear opaque tights or slacks.

I think that the dress is lovely, but I think that black tights with it would be too severe. I would go in bare legs or choose another dress.

LivinLaVidaLoki Sat 30-Jan-16 07:16:14

Its a local govt role. Its so cold here pitiless Id be so cold in bare legs.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sat 30-Jan-16 07:32:00

I interview lots and bare legs would look unprofessional and a bit weird in Jan. I'd go for opaque tights and I'm sure you'll look v smart. Good luck.

Hobbes8 Sat 30-Jan-16 07:47:54

I think it's nice. I'm interviewing people for an NHS manager role at the moment and would be fine if someone showed up wearing that. I imagine the dress codes are fairly similar in local government.

BikeRunSki Sat 30-Jan-16 07:53:45

I work in local gov, fairly senior. It's be fine. I'd been tempted by dark grey tights.

ScarlettDarling Sat 30-Jan-16 08:09:42

Love the dress but I'd definitely go for black opaques instead of nude tights.

Prayingforsnow Sat 30-Jan-16 08:11:34

Nice outfit, it would make you stand out. Yes black opaques, never bare legs.

ipadmad Sat 30-Jan-16 09:06:24

If it is a senior role, then I would say no - the dress is a bit bright and jersey material too. Might be pushing it for a mid level role too and I work in the public sector.

venusinscorpio Sat 30-Jan-16 13:15:22

I've worked in local government a lot and the younger senior women would wear this kind of thing and are not really into suits etc. Maybe not the older ones. I think it's good to stand out, as long as it's not for the wrong reasons and I don't think this would be. It is a structured dress with a belt, not an unstructured dress. With the right shoes and tights and hair done nicely it's a nice professional outfit. I don't think in that environment you'd necessarily be expected to wear a suit to the interview. Agree dark grey tights would work if black too stark for you, personally I like the colour block look and it would be easier to match shoes.

ChristineDePisan Sat 30-Jan-16 13:29:13

I agree you don't need a suit if a smart dress makes you more comfortable (it's what I normally wear for both work and interviews). But I don't think this one is smart enough, sorry.

anyway, on your other Qs, hair up (or at least back from your face) and deep in winter dark tights would be just fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now