Talk

Advanced search

Shopping in Cape Town

(23 Posts)
MyNewHobbyIsGin Thu 28-Jan-16 19:51:27

We're going to Cape Town for 2 weeks over Easter. I think it should be mid/low 20's. I'm not planning on buying much before I go, I have things from last summer I didn't get a great deal of wear from as it was a bit on the dismal side.

However the DCs will need new summer stuff as they will have outgrown last years stuff. What's shopping like there, and will it be too far into the Southern Hemisphere winter to get hold of summer things? The weak Rand is making it tempting to have a proper go at the shops! Plus if it is actual turn of season wil there be sales on? Could I even up it a notch... From the dizzy heights of H&M...!

TIA.

AlwaysHopeful1 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:25:28

It's still warm around that time and the stores will have plenty summer clothes, if not sales! Canal walk is great, also the shopping center at the waterfront.

MyNewHobbyIsGin Thu 28-Jan-16 20:48:42

Excellent, thank, will pack lightly then.

Any specific brands in either clothes or skincare to look out for?

Leigh1980 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:54:21

I live in Cape Town and have just bought a load of clothes from H&M. They were only £3!! There's tons here and Top Shop, Hamleys everything. V&A is awesome and where I live near Camps Bay there are loads of shops down the high street in Sea Point to choose from.

Leigh1980 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:54:57

£3 per outfit not for the lot 😂

MyNewHobbyIsGin Thu 28-Jan-16 22:13:52

Thanks Leigh, sounds like I'll have ample opportunity. Really didn't want to arrive with half empty suitcases to find the shops filling with cooler weather stock.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 05:18:20

Well there will be a lot of winter clothes coming in but there's always summer clothes available too as we are a predominantly hot country so summer clothes are much more popular.

We've also got a Jo Malone Shop which will be half the price of the ones in London and various designer wear. There's an excellent shoe warehouse in Cape Town City corner of Strand Street. It's massive and the shoes in pounds are between 2-3 pounds pair.

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 29-Jan-16 13:31:06

I was also going to recommend V&A and Canal St. Some great tips from AlwaysHopeful and Leigh.

Other than that I would recommend Woolworths - it's modelled on M&S and they used to have an association. Also Edgars department stores have good bargains in their sales. There are loads of shopping malls around CT, almost all of them will have an Edgars and a Woolworths. Also try Mr Price and Pick N pay (a supermarket a bit like Tesco) for cheap but really good quality t-shirts, vest tops, shorts etc. there should still be sales stuff around then.

Access Park - there's one in Kenilworth and one in Belleville (or is it Kuilsrivier Leigh1980?) - is a factory outlet. Great for Levis. You can pick up adults' jeans for less than £20. Not sure about kids jeans but there are kids clothes shops there.

I bring back tons of clothes from SA and also have loads of stuff there DMiL's house so I rarely take a lot of stuff with me.

It will still be nice and warm at Easter and even warmer if you go inland! CT coast always feels a bit cooler. It's lovely though.

My in-laws live in Paarl which is in the winelands. I've been there in August, so mid-winter, and it was still 29 degrees on some days.

DH is there at the moment and it's 40 degrees. I'm not at all jealous envy

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 29-Jan-16 13:33:01

Leigh1980 where is the Jo Malone shop? And how much are the perfumes? It's my birthday whilst DH is away and I've told him he has to bring me back nice presents to make up for me not going to CT with him grin

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 15:26:19

Hi London. The Jo Malone shop is in V&A. Perfumes ate extremely expensive here as they're imported so I think it's actually cheaper in the UK to buy even with the exchange rate.

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 29-Jan-16 18:37:01

Ah ok, it's just that above you said Jo Malone is half the price! I got overexcited grin

Camps Bay is my most favourite place in the whole world. I want to live there

CookiesNookie Fri 29-Jan-16 19:16:35

I'm originally from Cape Town and spent Oct/Nov there for a whole 4.5 weeks.

Before I always travelled around March/April and the time before that I went for the whole month of Feb. Even though it was summer and of course winter in the UK I struggled to find summer sandles as their Autumn clothes were hitting the stores and ended up buying ones from the sports stores instead.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 21:59:10

I live in Camps Bay. Just moved back after ten years in the UK. Love it. Sorry Jo Malone is half the price. I thought you were talking about perfumes like Angel etc which are very expensive . Jo Malone is much cheaper here than London as its expensive anyway there lol.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:01:16

If there's something specific you'd like just let me know and when I go to the V&A I can report back the prices.

DrSeussRevived Fri 29-Jan-16 22:02:28

Truworths in the V & A waterfront also has a good range of own brands split across a few stores.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:04:35

I bought these yesterday. In pounds they cost £3.25 each!

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 29-Jan-16 22:07:33

Well jel.

Fill yer boots with the exchange rate.

travailtotravel Fri 29-Jan-16 22:16:36

<plots trip for wine and shoes>

pregnantgrump Fri 29-Jan-16 22:25:10

Country Road is nice - great shorts. And Earth Child has the softest organic cotton stuff for kids. In March in Cape Town take a windbreaker, jeans and a sweatshirt or two. It may say it's 20 degrees but on the mountain or at night it can be nippy.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:51:24

It's the news here. Lying here in bed with my patio door open smelling the warm salt air from the sea and hearing the birds chirping even at 1am 😂 I'm so at peace here, it relaxes my anxiety disorder and feel soblessed to live in a little peace of heaven.

Leigh1980 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:51:48

It's so nice not it's the news 😂😂

LondonHuffyPuffy Mon 01-Feb-16 11:14:26

If only I could win the lottery I would just rock up at Heathrow with my passport and get on the first direct flight to CT!

Thanks for the info re Jo Malone... I shall send DH shopping there this week.

Those sandals are fab. Where are they from?

MyNewHobbyIsGin Tue 23-Feb-16 16:04:56

OMG!
I completely didn't check back on here - thanks everyone!

Great tip re sandals, I've already bought bought a few pairs for myself in the sales (who knew sandals would be available in January sales in the UK?! I certainly didn't 'til now!) anyway I digress - I'll make sure I've bought for the kids before we go.

Also thanks re Earth Child - will certainly make a trip there.

Thanks you again everyone - I'm SO excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now