Will a tulip skirt suit a pear shape?

(35 Posts)
krisskross Thu 28-Jan-16 17:32:50

Or just massively accentuate problem areas?
I have a small waist, big upper thighs and bum and ok legs.

I can't try skirt on as it's a pattern I'm thinking of making.

pileoflaundry Thu 28-Jan-16 20:37:17

I think that a tulip skirt makes the hips look bigger, so no good for a pear shape or hour glass figure. But I may be wrong, especially as there is usually more to it than just body shape. Can you think of people in real life who you have seen in tulip skirts? Did they look good?

Could you go to a shop to try on a tulip skirt, to see if it suits?

Doobigetta Thu 28-Jan-16 22:33:29

I think it will accentuate, sorry. I'm pear shaped and find that tulip is the worst skirt shape for me. Anything cut on the bias is bad too. You want pencil or a-line.

mintbiscuit Thu 28-Jan-16 23:17:10

Don't do it (coming from a pear shaped person who has made this mistake!).

Bunbaker Thu 28-Jan-16 23:44:10

I find pencil skirts don't suit my pear shape and just accentuate the size of my backside. I also find that they never fit properly as the waist is always too big. M and S are the worst for making skirts for women with no waist and hips. I wouldn't wear a tulip shape either.

krisskross Fri 29-Jan-16 00:04:22

Fair enough.... But ooh pencil skirs wouldn't look good
....too much wobble. Thanks all.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 00:27:56

Hmm not so fast! OP can you try one on in a shop to see what you think of the shape? Sometimes it's good to try a new shape, they're often a pleasant surprise. I love tulip or 'lampshade' shaped skirts.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 00:29:11

I'd also agree A line is good, but pencil? No. I think I might be a pear shape. Larger hips, small on top?

krisskross Fri 29-Jan-16 00:30:40

Yes that's it torrential. I'm fairly slim....but not pencil skirt material! Ew.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 00:36:13

Me too. Also fairly short (5' 4"). Tulip shape looks good on me. Really like it.

I actually was drawn to your thread hoping for a tulip skirt link!

I tend to balance my top half out with slightly puffed or ruffle shoulders. A bit of 'fuss' at the top.

Sounds awful put like that!

LassWiTheDelicateAir Fri 29-Jan-16 00:36:28

I think a tulip skirt as long as it's not tight looks far better on pear shaped/ big bum than a pencil skirt.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 00:37:41

Yes! The tulip shirt vote is gathering pace...

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 00:38:00

Skirt. Definitely not shirt.

ChristineDePisan Fri 29-Jan-16 01:03:47

I think you have to be careful about what you wear on the top, but it is possible for a pear to wear a tulip skirt smile

honeylou42 Fri 29-Jan-16 06:15:14

I think they look fab on a pear , but I would team it with a fitted not skin tight top smile

Higge Fri 29-Jan-16 09:27:11

I suit tulip shape - I'm hourglass, so I basically have a pair shaped arse. Also suit A Line and a fuller midi.

Ididnthearanything Fri 29-Jan-16 10:03:08

Another pear chipping in here.

No no no. Hideous. An already mighty arse accentuated by extra fabric, and a narrow knee.

Erm, that's a no from me. grin

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 29-Jan-16 11:12:25

OP def try one one. Pear shapes can be size 6 - 22+ and tulip skirts can taper dramatically or not much at all. All huge factors in what looks right or not.

squizita Fri 29-Jan-16 14:11:05

Pear/Hourglass and I say yes, but it must be obviously tulip. It will accentuate your waist and lower legs, crucually if it's an obvious tulip, the big area would be pouffy on anyone - so no one can tell what's under there.

I find it endlessly frustrating that the 'every one knows' rules for pears are DREADFUL. Never never never keep it neat and tailored on the bottom half - if you're toned, use something that drapes over the booty and down/shows off the waist, if you're not, a slightly higher waist and full/tulip profile disguises anything you are self conscious about.

For what to wear it with - avoid halters or cut away shoulders as they unbalance. Long sleeves or 'feature' structured shorter sleeves and a bit of cleavage.

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 29-Jan-16 14:13:12

IF you're tall and have good ankles then it might work quite well.

squizita Fri 29-Jan-16 14:14:18

Pencil NEEDS a bit of bum. It depends on confidence and toning - pear/hourglass are body shapes not sizes - but they were originally DESIGNED for 50s hourglass shapes, not a more lean/straight shape. They need a significant waist/hip ratio to get a foxy look not a shapeless look.

squizita Fri 29-Jan-16 14:21:57

...sorry to drip.

A lot of conventional advice is literally "how to look thin" or "how to look slightly hourglass". Therefore, it tends to be about toning things down.

If you look at dressing as 'how to balance' you not only get a greater range of shapes but also a more flattering look - you don't look like you're just trying to hide some post xmas bulge.
So for example, my chest is small at the moment post bf. So I need to balance my large pear bum/hips. I can still wear clothes that reveal they're proportionally bigger if they are balanced with something that widens my top and narrows my waist, creating a proportional look.
Therefore, a neatly cut top and a shrug or tailored jacket makes pencils, tulips, a lines, circles - most skirts, in fact, wearable.

The other element is fit. There is a difference between a shop- designed to a very average shape and mass produced- not catering to your body proportions and you not suiting an item of clothing. If this was not the case, Pepperberry wouldn't exist. Unfortunately there is no bum/hip Pepperberry shop - but by getting waists professionally taken in or by making your own, suddenly pencil skirts and tulips look amazing (or if on a budget, cheap stretchy ones plus spanx).

amarmai Fri 29-Jan-16 14:22:12

def worth trying for disguise reasons.

Bunbaker Fri 29-Jan-16 16:32:40

"For what to wear it with - avoid halters or cut away shoulders as they unbalance. Long sleeves or 'feature' structured shorter sleeves and a bit of cleavage."

I have read many times that halter necks and cut away shoulders add width to the top half if you are pear shaped. I don't have any cleavage sad, so that ploy doesn't work for me.

Bunbaker Fri 29-Jan-16 16:34:40

"but they were originally DESIGNED for 50s hourglass shapes, not a more lean/straight shape."

Try telling M and S that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now