Recommendations for tackling age spots on a budget?

(21 Posts)
ifonly4 Thu 28-Jan-16 15:00:45

Can anyone suggest any products which might help reduce/dissolve age spots that isn't too expensive? I'm in my late 40s and one thing that bothers me are three age spots on my face, which seem to go darker in the summer so have decided to tackle them before spring. Pretty sure they're not freckles as I don't get them.

ExConstance Thu 28-Jan-16 15:02:08

I have exactly the same problem, please someone, help us!

seeyoulater Thu 28-Jan-16 19:49:13

I'm mid 40s and have been trying for a few years to reduce 4 quite large age spots. Most important thing is sun cream, high SPF, 4 star UVA and worn every day all the year round. Best ones for my normal-dry skin are Dermalogica super sensitive shield & nivea kids pure & sensitive (the one free from parabens, perfume etc). Both leave a slight white sheen so I use Shiseido perfect refining foundation over the top.

Check out the Shiseido white lucent range. It has certainly brightened my skin & the age spots are possibly a bit better - certainly not worse. Freckles have faded a little too. I tried clinique dark spot reducer for 6 months with zero difference. Lancome spot corrector had no effect either.

If you can't fade them why not try covering them? Shiseido do excellent concealers & foundations cover the age spots very well. They also do really pale shades that have no orange/yellow tones so match my celtic skin perfectly.

(I don't work for shiseido, honest!)

hooliodancer Thu 28-Jan-16 20:30:17

No Lift and Luminate serum (day and night) has totally removed an age spot from my face. It took maybe 2 months for it to go. I have been using it for about 2 years now, and have had no more age spots appear.

capsium Thu 28-Jan-16 20:38:00

This has taken away some hyperpigmentation I had across my nose after pregnancy (although it looks like it has been repackaged/named slightly it has the same active ingredients).

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/dr-organic-royal-jelly-light-bright-cream-60086386

hooliodancer Thu 28-Jan-16 20:38:03

Sorry No 7. Bloody phone!

RonaldMcDonald Thu 28-Jan-16 20:48:56

i use this

it took off one age spot and reduced the other
brightened my skin generally

ifonly4 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:43:20

Thanks for your replies. Your suggestions certainly look interesting, I just have to decide which one to buy!

whisperitsoftly Fri 29-Jan-16 10:01:04

I used Fade Out white original moisturising cream. I don't have the box so have no more details. I bought it for a large sunspot on my cheek and it has lightened it a lot after about 4 weeks. I will definitely buy it again.

Love2dance Fri 29-Jan-16 10:48:49

OP, the efficacy of all of these products will depend on what sort of marks these are, how long you have had them and how deep into the dermis they go. Very recent surface marks may well fade but anything deeper probably won't shift without more drastic (and I'm afraid, expensive) action. I would give anything you try a good 8 weeks then review. Any sunscreen you use should be at least spf 30, broad spectrum (protecting from both UVA and UVB rays) and ideally, a physical, rather than a chemical sunscreen. This is because (putting it very simply) chemical sunscreen works by absorbing UV rays, whereas physical reflects them. Much better for avoiding or preventing worsening of hyperpigmentation. Look for formulations of at least 7% zinc oxide. Some of these can leave a whitish cast on the face, but there are plenty of good ones about. I really like Exuviance and MD Solar Sciences for physical suncreens. La Roche Posay and Skinceuticals are pretty good too.

JingsAndCrivens Fri 29-Jan-16 10:56:55

I buy tretinoin online. And I wear sunscreen.

CheersMedea Fri 29-Jan-16 11:08:58

I don't think those creams thing work tbh. If you are on a budget, you'd be better off putting whatever you'd spend on your budget creams a month into a savings pot and save it. Eventually you'll have enough for laser treatment or something that will actually work.

It's a false economy to spend money on potions for something that isn't properly effective.

amarmai Fri 29-Jan-16 14:52:41

used to see my mum rubbing the backs of her hands with lemon skins after making juice. Didn't realise till now what she was doing!

specialsubject Fri 29-Jan-16 16:47:21

post-pregnancy pigmentation will fade, or not, regardless of anything you put on it. Same as stretch marks. This is like the beauty babble I saw the other day raving about some cream that 'will gradually shift a spot over a period of days'. Yes - same as doing nothing will!

the descriptions will say 'helps to improve the appearance of..'. This equates to 'does nothing'

I have never seen evidence that any of this stuff works, however over-packaged and however much French is written on the label.

wear sunscreen to reduce the odds of pigmentation getting darker.

28Limes Fri 29-Jan-16 23:27:09

My natural beauty book says paint lemon juice on using a small brush - says it will take 3 months to fade em.

shereebobbins Fri 29-Jan-16 23:44:42

Make your own niacinamide serum. It really works!
I wouldn't recommend Lemon juice. It has a ph of 2. Far too acidic for the face.

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 30-Jan-16 09:39:06

Fade out cream www.garden.co.uk/fade-out-original-brightening-cream-spf15-50ml.html?gclid=CLv-ib6e0coCFQbnwgod1P4LKg

ExConstance Sun 31-Jan-16 15:13:10

I was hoping someone would recommend some dodgy skin bleach which you can only buy online from a foreign pharmacy, which would work but would have my GP tutting.

Love2dance Mon 01-Feb-16 11:22:41

But would you then go and put it on your face ExConstance?
I came across this website here, not that you'd know what it was about from the name. Lots of recommendations for dodgy products there, not to mention screwed up people trying to lighten their skin for reasons that have nothing to do with skin conditions or hyperpigmentation...
Makes me really sad that in this day and age, some people are desperate to not have dark skin.

specialsubject Mon 01-Feb-16 12:20:59

there are plenty of dodgy skin bleaches available in the countries where lighter skin is prized. The shelves there are full of products titled 'fair and lovely' or similar frightening names. most of the off-the-shelf stuff does nothing - the beauty 'industry' is a con worldwide. But yes, you can buy harmful stuff that will give you patchy lighter skin and some good chemical burns as a free extra.

please do not waste the NHS's time if you hurt yourself with any of this stuff.

ExConstance Mon 01-Feb-16 12:51:05

I would try it on the horrid liver spots that I fear may be emerging from a couple of freckles on my arms. Yes, you are right, not a good idea and I fear that anything "approved" won't work. I'll have to add laser treatment on to the long list of things I'll pay for out of m pension lump sum, if I can ever afford to retire!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now