Talk

Advanced search

Are some nails just not suited to gel/bio sculpt/shellac?

(11 Posts)
GlitteringJasper Tue 26-Jan-16 20:24:39

Everyone I know has gel nails or similar and I love the look of it.

I've had it done three or four times and every single time my nails have been rubbish afterwards.

I've removed it properly.

Are some nails just not suitable for this?

burnishedsilver Tue 26-Jan-16 20:26:01

Yes. Mine.

MotherofFlagons Tue 26-Jan-16 20:26:37

I find you need to let your nails have a break between it. I've done two weeks of gel, then two weeks without but using nail oil and a clear polish.

madmother1 Tue 26-Jan-16 20:27:05

We were just talking about this at work today. I've only had gel nails once. It left them dry and flaky. I wouldn't have them done again. A couple of my work colleagues agreed.

Notstayingup Tue 26-Jan-16 20:27:26

and mine - destroyed after shellac/gel

MotherofFlagons Tue 26-Jan-16 20:35:22

Some nail places are a bit careless about removing them which doesn't help. You do need to look after your nails in between gels though.

lampshady Tue 26-Jan-16 20:38:15

I've seen a few threads like this and don't really understand. I am full on abusive to my nails - gel frequently, pick off fibreglass nails, use my nails to open everything - I thought gel made them stronger? Mine don't break. What is it in gels that is bad for them? I use gellish, might it be different with shellac?

burnishedsilver Tue 26-Jan-16 20:42:20

Lucky you lampshady. It must suit your nails.

sighbynight Tue 26-Jan-16 21:14:17

My nails flake and refuse to grow after gel polishes. And that long lasting Revlon one with the special top coat? Made my nail peel away from the nail bed. Awful. I have shit nails.

itsbetterthanabox Tue 26-Jan-16 22:14:42

Yes some nails are unsuited.
Thin, damaged nails are not suitable for gel polish. You'd need some sort of correction or smoothing gel first for it to last. Some people may get on better with acrylic overlays. There is a nail enhancement for all nail types though.
If you have normal nails and still have problems then it may be because there are a lot of nail techs that apply and remove incorrectly sadly. And some use subpar products. The industry is getting flooded with these people and you need to find a quality one.
Another issue is that most clients do not follow aftercare properly. You need to not pick or bite. You must wear gloves when cleaning and most importantly use a high quality cuticle oil on the nail and cuticle every single day. Both when you have a nail coating on and when you don't.
There's no need to have break from nail enhancements. Nails don't breathe. If they are properly cared for you can wear it back to back.

Superjaggy Tue 26-Jan-16 23:13:15

I used to have weak nails which are prone to breaking, and I have to say that Shellac has been a revelation for me. I've barely been without it over the last 3-4 years and it's only when I don't have any on that I have problems with them snapping and flaking. I usually have them taken off professionally (and have them reapplied immediately), but I sometimes accidentally peel them off.

So my experience has been good, despite not having great nails to begin with. I appreciate that not everyone is as lucky though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now