Talk

Advanced search

faux vs real leather jackets

(19 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Tue 26-Jan-16 17:28:17

Always said I'd never buy a faux leather jacket but decided to give it a go last year on an Oasis biker. Its nice and all but I still have the idea hanging over me that its not the real thing and wondering if it looks cheap to other people or not. I'm toying with the idea of selling it and getting a real leather jacket. Am I being daft?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 26-Jan-16 17:30:02

As a vegan I'd say yup!.

There's something a bit odd about draping the skin of another species over you...

Queenbean Tue 26-Jan-16 17:32:57

I've got both and my leather one is lovely, creaky, still has that amazing smell, is buttery soft and so comfortable

I bought the fake one as it had a lovely furry stole on it and I love it, but it feels a bit sweaty if I wear it for too long

I wouldn't bother to get rid of the fakey and buy a new one, but when the time comes, get a leather one if you can afford it

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jan-16 07:59:11

I suppose because I know it is not real and I think I can mostly spot fake leather then I can't really get past it. Its too smooth and perfect a material. What do you think of this one?
m.zalando.co.uk/oasis-faux-leather-jacket-black-oa221g010-q11.html?gclid=CMvBhabCycoCFeoJwwod-vUKUg&size=12&wmc=SEM44_CR_EN_2103106.&opc=2211&ef_id=U-COwgAAATYGq1Vt:20160127075646:s

SquadGoals Wed 27-Jan-16 09:34:42

I got a gorgeous real buttery leather one in the Superdry sale last year for £70. Was supposed to be £200.

DiscordiaVanDiemen Wed 27-Jan-16 14:34:03

I have a faux leather biker jacket. Lots of people have said how much they like it, and all have been surprised when I've told them it's not real leather.

CoolToned Wed 27-Jan-16 20:34:04

I have a faux leather jacket. It feels like I am covered in plastic whenever I wear it (which I am, actually). However, I am always apprehensive using my real leather jacket in case it rains.

keeponkeepinon Wed 27-Jan-16 21:06:02

How does your leather hold up in the rain? I hadn't really considered this. I suppose some are more porous than others.

OneofTHOSEWomen Wed 27-Jan-16 21:12:04

Faux leather looks naff and plasticy from a mile off. It also ages badly and smells awful. I would go for the real thing or not bother at all.

DiscordiaVanDiemen Wed 27-Jan-16 21:47:20

OP I also have a leather one that I've had since I was 15, so nearly 6 years. I wear it all the time in the rain and it's fine, keeps me completely dry.
One Faux leather doesn't necessarily look plastic and certainly doesn't smell, what an odd thing to say. Unless it's some super cheap specimen I suppose, I haven't encountered such a thing...confused

MeadowHay Wed 27-Jan-16 22:03:38

I have a faux one and as a vegetarian wouldn't consider buying a real one now, although I did really want one before I went veggie but I couldn't afford one then anyways. I LOVE my fake one and I've had lots of compliments on it and lots of people thinking it was real (which I don't understand because I think it's pretty obvious what is and isn't real leather, maybe they're just being polite haha).

OneofTHOSEWomen Wed 27-Jan-16 22:09:11

I can smell it on faux leather bags and shoes too.

Behooven Wed 27-Jan-16 22:17:51

It'sall Human beings have been draping themselves in the skin of animals since the day dot smile

Obv it's down to personal choice (mine is real leather, never PVC, plastic or reconstituted chewing gum etc) But in saying that, Jaeger Outlet have a nice faux one at the mo but it's still £125 shock

Corygal1 Wed 27-Jan-16 22:22:23

I couldn't wear pleather because I sweat so horribly, but some of the newer ones are great. Just don't expect them to age the way leather does, ie rock-chic-ly, or last. Enjoy while you can, I would.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Thu 28-Jan-16 11:22:28

I have both real and faux leather jackets. I have a real one (patent) which looks plasticky and has never really softened. I have and expensive-ish Mango faux leather one which (I think) looks real and I wear a lot. I also have a faux metallic blue one which doesn't look real - but I like it any way.

Go on what it looks and feels like rather than what it is made of.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 28-Jan-16 11:24:15

I've had an All Saints leather jacket for 6 years now. Looks just like it did the day I bought it and it's been rained on a lot.

Real leather is completely worth it.

CoolToned Thu 28-Jan-16 20:37:05

I'm always afraid of getting my leather jacket wet because of mold/mildew.

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 28-Jan-16 20:48:47

Real leather, every time.

keeponkeepinon Sun 31-Jan-16 21:35:01

So I picked up a real leather off EBay for a bargain. It's so buttery soft that the fake one just couldn't hold up to it. I think I may want one a size smaller though. Gah! I want it to fit really neat on the shoulders and arms cos I worry if it doesn't it might make me look a bit bulkier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now