Talk

Advanced search

hairdressers v DIY

(9 Posts)
lookatmenow Tue 26-Jan-16 13:53:41

I have my hair dyed at hairdressers every 6wks (otherwise regrowth shows grey!!!) colour is a reddy brown.

I'm just wondering what the pros and cons are of home dye kits as I'm paying £65 a time atm !!!!

Advise please

dementedpixie Tue 26-Jan-16 13:55:39

I just do my own. Much cheaper

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 26-Jan-16 14:15:13

I do my own (DD helps)

Pros:
it's cheaper (obviously grin Though in the long run, I have to bribe her with trips to TopShop so maybe not .....)

I can do it when I decide. I'm not one who plans and books hair appointments.

I dye my hair every 4 weeks or so, my hair is cut every 5-6 weeks. So no real overlap of dye

Cons:
it's potentially messy

it;s hard work unless you have a helper.

I don;t think personally that you get as good a result with Box Dyes (though I've never had a proffessional dye)

it's a bit Russian Roulette with the colour. I don't have anyone discussing ashey or golden. I just buy one and think "Oh that'll do"

but...if it goes Pete Tong , I can overdye (and scalp out the mistake next haircut)

If I didn't dye it myself, I'd be grey/brown.
As it is, I'm copper gold grin

Pipistrella Tue 26-Jan-16 14:24:51

I thought this was a 'shall I go and get my hair done or shall I stay at home and tile my kitchen' thread.

Sadly I'm not much help with your actual problem, though I did use black shoe dye once on my hair and that didn't work terribly well.

I would probably find a cheaper hairdresser?

EarSlaps Tue 26-Jan-16 14:35:07

I henna my hair after a tip on here. I started off with the lush blocks but now I mix my own blend of Cassia, henna and indigo.

It gives my grey hairs a sort of blonde, brown look and a nice shiny browny red all over. It's a right pain in the bum to do, messy and time consuming but I love the effect.

Because it sort of blends the greys rather than dyeing all the hair I find regrowth much less noticeable so I don't get obvious roots. I haven't done it for about two months now and you can just see a bit of Silver at the roots, and I'm at least 25% grey I'd guess around the front.

Excuse terrible messy hair but I hope this gives an idea.

AppleSetsSail Tue 26-Jan-16 14:36:39

Get thee some WOW root cover. I am able to stretch my colour a week or so with this.

NNalreadyinuse Tue 26-Jan-16 14:56:08

I think if you are just getting your hair dyed brown, then try a box colour - I find mine comes out well. If you were blond or having anything complicated done, I would say to stick with professional colouring - blond is harder to get right imo.

iloveoz Tue 26-Jan-16 19:32:39

i colour my hair every 3 weeks complete pain!
i initially have it all coloured at the hairdressers then every bit is covered and its all one colour! then i try to keep it up but the box colours always tend to be darker and when i look in my main mirror can see slightly different shade!
same as yourself with the cost but it always looks so much better at the hairdressers i have to say

MissAlabamaWhitman Tue 26-Jan-16 19:42:26

I bleach and tone mine at home.
Bleach is bleach after all and I just whack on an expensive toner, voila I'm a dead ringer for Elsa. So yes, I'm all about the home dye jobs.

Try it at home next time you're due a touch up and see how you get on.

Word to the rise though; make sure you buy s mixing bowl and brush, they are pennies but no matter what box dyes proclaim you cannot apply dye out of a squeezy tube.
You need to paint it on as the hairdressers do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now