Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The best make up basics (and some tips!)?

(15 Posts)
Missymoomum Mon 25-Jan-16 19:19:19

I very rarely wear make up partly because I just never think about putting it on and partly because I don't have much confidence in what I'm doing. I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks and I'd like to make it part of my routine. The make up I do have really needs updating so I'm up for investment! I'm also willing to spend money on a more expensive key item such as foundation etc if necessary. I've usually just bought make up in the under £10 range from
Boots. What basics would you suggest I need for a natural look? I turned 40 a couple of months ago and have dry skin with an slightly oily t zone. Medium complexion. Thanks in advance!

stardusty5 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:27:57

Have you tried youtube tutorials? I've learned loads over the last year or so and feel a lot more confident in trying things out

Diddlydokey Mon 25-Jan-16 19:30:44

Chanel foundation
Benefit blusher
Maybelline mascara in the yellow tube
Naked eye shadow pallet
Revlon colorstay eyeliner

Crumpet1 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:35:15

I like a mousse foundation for a more natural look. I use a boujoir one at £10 and it lasts me at least 4 months.
Depending on your colouring benefit dandelion blusher is lovely too.

Donge13 Mon 25-Jan-16 19:51:08

Have a look at Lisa Eldridge, she is very good

SuperFlyHigh Mon 25-Jan-16 19:56:23

I wasn't over fussed about Chanel foundation (especially for everyday) I've used a Max Foundation compact one recently and it's very good.

If you want more definition then yes eyeliner is good.

I'm a lipstick addict and natural shades are Mehr, Cosmo, Syrup from MAC.

The one thing I'd also recommend is primer for under makeup! I only use a Nivea one but I've found foundation stays on far better with it, and blusher!

Bronzer also gives a healthy glow... Again MAC do a nice one or Bobbi Brown. BB actually does a makeup bag refresh lesson and you offset the price against products. Think it's £15.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 25-Jan-16 19:58:43

Oh, also don't forget a brighter lipstick or gloss for when you want to shine eg meetings etc. again BB very good but I also liked Laura Mercier.

YSL i think it is do a great lipgloss that stays through eating, drinking etc must get some more myself actually

HippyChickMama Mon 25-Jan-16 20:03:00

Moisturiser then primer before foundation are essential, especially if you have dry skin. If not your skin sucks all the moisture out of your foundation and it'll be patchy and not last. Use an eyebrow pencil and brush to subtly define your eyebrows.

Kennington Mon 25-Jan-16 20:23:51

Lisa Eldridge again - pin point concealer may avoid you needing foundation - I don't use any now!
Some cream highlighter from no7 or topshop or Dior
Tubing mascara
Cream blush or benetint
Shadow eyeliner applied with a hard brush

Missymoomum Mon 25-Jan-16 22:49:08

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions, they're really helpful. stardusty i definitely could do with watching some YouTube videos, any recommendations? For example, I have no idea what you do with a highlighter blush and I find it impossible to do eyeliner properly!! superflyhigh where would i find the Bobbi Brown refresh lessons? A department store?

Hamiltoes Mon 25-Jan-16 23:02:26

Highlighter is very high on the cheek bones and then i use any leftover product in the middle of my forehead and brush it down my nose.

I also second the Naked pallete. 2 is good because its easy to do a natural day look or a night look, but 3 is my favourite with all the rose/ gold colours, and the highlights are beautiful. Theres also 1000s of tutorials on youtube for the naked pallette.

I mostly learned from a man! Some of its a bit heavy and overdone imo, but the basic principles are the same. I'll find his youtube name. Lisa Eldridge is also good as PP said.

Hamiltoes Mon 25-Jan-16 23:05:33

Wayne Goss! And Tanya Burr is good (not watched in a while but her "wake me up" foundation reccomendation was my go to for years.

Can I also suggest a decent set of brushes too, they really help.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 26-Jan-16 10:29:45

OP yes any dept store that carries Bobbi brown does makeup bag refresh sessions.

I always found them not pushy re sales and everything you want is there brushes etc.

To be honest I don't wear eyeshadow everyday but you may get tips re one or two shadows.

SquadGoals Tue 26-Jan-16 10:36:49

Match all foundation, concealer and powder to your collar bone/chest area. It means that you don't get that mismatch of colour between face and body. Laura Mercier do a great tinted moisturiser that looks very natural but still offers coverage.

Agree that decent brushes help, but they don't have to be expensive. Look at Real Techniques, Zoeva and Sigma.

Try to work out if you are warm toned or cool toned. Loads of websites out there to help. This will help with deciding on bronzer, blush and lipstick colours.

Different colour eyeshadows will make your eyes stand out - I have green eyes so wear lots of purple and copper shades.

Eyebrows can make a big difference. A universally flattering shade is grey - especially for brunettes. Typically brown eyebrow pencils/palettes are too red toned. Bobbi Brown do a great eye shadow in Slate with a brush for eyebrows or also a eyebrow pencil in Grey.

Missymoomum Tue 26-Jan-16 10:49:08

These are all great thank you I already feel like I have more of an idea. I'm going to check out the you tube suggestions, work out my skin tone and and go to John Lewis for the make up counters. I'm going to look like a new woman ha ha!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now