Talk

Advanced search

Oops, my clothes are mostly black or grey - Anyone else?

(32 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 23-Jan-16 08:31:16

I've done a fair bit of clothes shopping in Mint Velvet over the last few years. My husband commented to me that my wardrobe isn't very colourful anymore (in his defence I went through a long Boden phase so everything was very bright and colourful for a good few years). I pointed out that I wear coloured coats and scarves to which he replied "Yes, but that's outside!"

He's right! Oh dear, I am aware my choices have been becoming more muted over time (I thought classic and sophisticated) but I'm worried I've reverted back to my teenage emo / indie self (maybe she never went away)!

What colours dominate your wardrobe? Do you think it's possible to have too much black or grey (Remus back me up on this one grin) in your early forties? Are coloured accessories not fooling anyone? Does it affect your mood? I think I partly want to fade into the background and not draw any attention to myself.

I interested to find out if anyone is in the same boat and how they feel about it!

CoolToned Sat 23-Jan-16 08:34:32

This is me, too.

BoboChic Sat 23-Jan-16 08:35:30

Predominantly black and grey clothing is not chic and muted - it's dull and boring.

Start buying colors and metallics. Your mood will improve and you will feel more cheerful, bolder and more assertive!

Hamiltoes Sat 23-Jan-16 08:36:43

Black and grey here too grin

I like it. Always have and I think I always will.

I have made a concous effort in the sales to buy some other things though, however they're mostly burgundy, forrest green, and navy, with the occasional beige item thrown in.

I did a huge cull of my wardrobe and realised that almost everything I threw out (as I barely wear) was colourful. I thought if I have to really try to wear colour then whats the point? I'd much rather be happy in my muted tones. And I seem to really suit dark colours.

BeStrongAndCourageous Sat 23-Jan-16 08:47:36

I look dreadful in black, really washed out. I have a few things in grey, mainly soft, washed-out greys.

I mainly wear blue and green.

anotherbusymum14 Sat 23-Jan-16 08:49:23

Yip. I try and throw in a carry, jacket or scarf with some color, but yip black and grey is me too.

dudsville Sat 23-Jan-16 08:51:33

I used to wear a lot of black, also jeans and trainers. In my 30s I made a few decisions, I can't now recall why but I decided not to wear black, trainers or jeans. I also decided to have fabulous underwear! I'm not in my 40s. My underwear is good but comfortable and boring, I still do not wear jeans or trainers, however I have been trying to wear black. I think grey is more interesting and is easier to mix with colour. When I wear black shoes and trousers I get associations with funerals, men's work outfits, etc., even though I can see I look fine!

ChippyMinton Sat 23-Jan-16 08:54:27

Black, grey, navy here - I like to mix up textures and fabrics, and throw in the odd monochrome patterned skirt. Colour is pretty much limited to scarves and bags, and coats. And dresses - I like a statement dress.

Kennington Sat 23-Jan-16 08:54:34

Me too
Black grey and navy, occasionally White
I love it, it is easy to get dressed and I think it is chic
Stick to it
As for looking washed out - this is only because we have been conditioned to think fake tan is normal. If you feel pale, stick on some blusher.
Anyway I don't break it up and wear black accessories and some coloured jewellery.
I want to look Milanese but this is extremely unlikely to happen.

Chimchar Sat 23-Jan-16 08:54:53

black and grey here too.
Like some other posters, its all about the blending in. blush

BeStrongAndCourageous Sat 23-Jan-16 09:04:30

Thank you Kennington, but it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with my skin tone. Black makes me look sallow and ill, no matter how much blusher I wear. Dark blue, OTOH, makes my skin look clear and my eyes sparkle, so tends to be my go-to neutral.

Not everyone suits black.

CoolToned Sat 23-Jan-16 09:06:49

I think black and gray are more suited to Winter/cool-toned. The neutrals for warm-toned are earth tones.

FrustratedFrugal Sat 23-Jan-16 09:13:29

I'm nearly 100% gray and black this winter. I'm in Scandinavia, it is mandatory, even children's clothes are gray grin

velourvoyageur Sat 23-Jan-16 09:15:02

I was a bit 'eclectic' (read: charity shop jumble) in my teens & wore loads of colour(memorably, mismatching shoes that I painted myself, god! why? and aquarel paint on my face!) and scaled it back finally when I went to uni. Now I try to get one colour in my outfit so it's not all black, dark grey etc. No more than one. But am happy to be bleak and sombre because I know my alternative is not good grin

Floisme Sat 23-Jan-16 10:50:29

I look shocking in black but I do like charcoal grey and sometimes wear it head to toe. No coloured scarf though - if I'm going for sombre I like to do it full on! I can't imagine wearing it all the time but then I wouldn't want to wear any look day after day.

Around three quarters of my clothes are burgundy, dark green or dark grey. They're my neutrals. I've never understood this reverence on S&B for black, grey, navy and beige. Great if they suit you but we don't all look like Coco Chanel.

I'm pale and I like it - never use fake tan. Washed out is completely different.

Bluecheese22 Sat 23-Jan-16 11:25:09

I specifically keep away from black & dark colours as I'm crazy pale. I do really like grey though!

Destinysdaughter Sat 23-Jan-16 11:34:58

I used to until I got my colours done some years ago and as I'm an Autumn, black and grey doesn't suit me at all! Took some time but now I have a wardrobe full of beautiful, flattering colours and I love it!

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Sat 23-Jan-16 11:37:57

My jeans are blue, that's a colour, right?
I'm a black/grey fiend but I also buy anything I can find in teal.

Blueturquoise Sat 23-Jan-16 11:45:48

Lots of black and grey here too, with navy burgundy and cobalt blue ish or neutral/ pink accents depending on season I love all saints and zadig / Voltaire and lots of their stuff has that colour scheme anyway! I bought a dark green coat last weeks and got lots of compliments on it , got me thinking I really should expand my colours a bit smile
I do have some neon hair ties though ...

Doobigetta Sat 23-Jan-16 13:44:30

I avoid black when I can, but sometimes really nice things are only available in black. I have loads of grey and loads of navy, but they are two of my best colours. I like pale pink as well though, so I've bought loads this year while it has been around- pink clothes were like hens' teeth in the shops for a while.

BikeRunSki Sat 23-Jan-16 13:50:59

Me too. 45, wardrobe dominated by grey and black, liven up with the occasional navy and muted purple. Also after 10+ years of Boden and White Stuff, until I realised that I didn't want to look like a frumpy CBeebies presenter.

YaySirNaySir Sat 23-Jan-16 14:26:27

I have a green (and grey!) sundress, a burgundy skirt and a pink top, that's plenty of colour for me.
The rest is black, grey, navy/dark blue and a couple of white and cream things. Pastels don't suit me, hate browns, and bright colours remind me of toddlers.

IlonaRN Sat 23-Jan-16 16:21:32

I wore mostly blue/navy and quite a bit of black until I had my colours done.
Now I still wear navy and blue, but a brighter blue than before, and have added more other colours also, as they really do make me look better!

DickDewy Sat 23-Jan-16 16:27:36

Yup, black, grey and some navy and white.

I really dislike bright colours.

Black, grey, v occasional blue denim and the odd bit of burgundy and bright pink. That's pretty much it for me. I don't really like navy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now