Disheartened in little black dress hunt. Can anyone help?

(23 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 16:24:46

I'm not very good at the clothes thing. Whenever I need to buy something specific I never get it quite right and end up feeling frumpy or self conscious in it.

I need a black dress for an event in a few weeks' time, but I'm having trouble finding anything that ticks all the boxes. This time I'm determined to find something I feel good in (especially as I'll be in front of an audience). The criteria are (now that I've listed them - far too many - no wonder I'm having problems finding anything!):

- all black
- size 10/12
- knee length, or a bit above the knee (I'm 5 ft 4)
- have a bit of room up top (chest 28F/30E)
- needs to be decent (not see through under bright lights, not too revealing cleavage wise or too short)
- not have polyester or nylon unless it is lined with cotton or something else on the top half
- not be figure hugging around my hips (I'm a bit spare-tyre ish at the moment and even a magic slip doesn't seem to resolve this)
- I'd prefer it to have some arm coverage, and definitely not be strappy or strapless
- budget £60 (could stretch to £80)

Is anyone able to make any suggestions? I would really appreciate some help. I'm nervous about the event and it would give me a boost if I like what I'm wearing.

Behooven Fri 22-Jan-16 16:33:33

Quite classic but beautifully cut from Jaeger Outlet

too plain?

or this

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 16:50:07

I think this Michael Kors would be longer on you than on the model, so would probably be knee-length.
This may be a bit long? Also MK.
Knitted so maybe a bit casual? Baukjen.
Kneelength on the model, so perhaps a little long for you? Warehouse.
Flattering side drape. Whistles.

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 16:52:40

Thanks Behooven

I quite like the first one, but I think polyamide is the same as polyester so that's out because of my stupidly sensitive skin :/

The second one, I'm not keen on the cuffs on the sleeves, and being quite short I've got a feeling that the length of this one would swamp me a bit.

handslikecowstits Fri 22-Jan-16 16:55:24

Hobbs dress? www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0215-5725-155L000&productvarid=0215-5725-155L000-BLACK-12&refpage=dresses

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 16:56:59

Thanks MrsNoraCharles

I like the last Whistles one you listed and it's only a smaller % polyester so I might get away with it.

Quite a few of these seem quite figure hugging which I just don't seem to be able to pull off sad . Despite being generally a size 10, I'm a very flabby size 10 and things just seem to cling. Like I'm pretty certain that the first Michael Kors dress would get stuck on my derriere!

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 16:59:47

Boden & not fitted to the bum. Or derriere.... grin Might be a bit casual though?

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:03:10

This one doesn't say what it's made of. Dante 6.

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 17:03:51

Ooh I quite like the Boden one in terms of shape, and the material is ok for my skin. You're right in that it might not be quite dressy enough though. Feel as though we're getting closer!

Thanks as well handslikecowstits (my mind is boggling at your user name smile I fear the Hobbs dress would cling to my wobbly bits.

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:06:21

This stretches your budget but looks v. flattering. Me + Em.

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:11:23

And this is going to depend on the sizes. They have small & large but not medium. Bargainalicious. Me + Em.

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 17:14:15

I love the floaty style of the skirt on the first Me + Em dress (I haven't even heard of this brand!), but the stretch on my budget is a step too far (though I've kept a note of this one just in case I feel I can afford it in a few weeks' time).

The second one is definitely a bargain, but I reckon would cling around my hips again.

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:16:05

Would it work to go up a size to reduce cling, or would that make you feel uncomfortable? I do that a lot with jersey dresses as I can't bear them being fitted to my (horrible) arms.

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 17:20:28

I think to go up a size would drown my waist and I think this is when I start feeling frumpy. In order to get things to fit my hips they often end up very baggy around my waist.

My best fitting dresses are a couple where the top is quite fitted and the skirt bit flares a little to make it past my hips/bum.

Sorry. I know I'm pretty frustrating to work with! I had enough of myself hours ago ;)

FauxFox Fri 22-Jan-16 17:21:37

Anything here? I have a dress from them and it is well made and good quality fabric.

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:23:18

I keep thinking I've found just-the-thing, but then its polyester. Surprising amount of it about. Just found a luvverly one on Finery, but its 100% polyester. The arseholes.

I have the same fit-one-bit-drown-another problem, as I have large boobs in comparison with my waist/hips. Dresses can be an issue.

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 17:29:41

Thanks FauxFox I quite like the style of most of those dresses (how they look no the models anyway!) but they're all quite figure-hugging and the three that a like most have all got polyester or nylon in them.

The materials things is a total bugger to navigate. I do have a little paddy about it from time to time especially as polyester is being used more and more nowadays.

My first port of call for dresses is always Pepperberry as I get a good fit there in 10/Curvy but they're very short on black dresses at the moment. The only possibility is this one, but the big patch of beading in the centre isn't really my thing: www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/products/sale/dresses/occasion-and-party-dresses/deco-beaded-silk-dress/black/pd134blk/?colour=black&sale=true&level=2

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 17:53:24

Flowing but is it too short?
Cotton and cashmere and has a nice back, but how will the shape work for you?
Kimono style. Not sure how that'll work for you. Also 33% polyester - too much?

BobbilyBoo Fri 22-Jan-16 18:02:14

I have the Boden one in black that MrsNora linked and its dressier in RL and is very flattering. I'm a 10 and a similar shapeheight and it looks great on, could be easily dressed up for the evening smile

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 18:07:12

I've just put the first La Redoute one (flowing) into my basket! It's nice, isn't it!?

I already have the cotton and cashmere in the blue colour. The material is thin and it hangs badly, so it's a no go.

I think I'd feel self conscious in the kimono one as it looks slightly nightwear-ish.

Thanks MrsNoraCharles. You're being so patient with me!

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 18:09:46

Thanks BobbilyBoo . With that encouragement I'm going to order the Boden dress and give it a go!

I'll also order the first La Redoute dress and see what that's like on.

MrsNoraCharles Fri 22-Jan-16 18:22:16

Is that mission accomplished INeed? Two to try on and the Me + Em one in reserve (for when your budget grows.) Might be worth signing on the Me + Em mailing list in case they send you a voucher for your first order.

I really hope one of the two is perfect for you - I know how much it matters to feel good when you have to do something in front of an audience.

Fingers crossed!

INeedNewShoes Fri 22-Jan-16 18:30:34

I think so! I'll report back in a few days' time when the dresses have arrived.

Thank you so much for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now