Talk

Advanced search

Corrie fans, help me look less Tracey Barlow and way more like Carla....

(26 Posts)
daydreamnation Tue 19-Jan-16 22:40:58

Just that really, only from the neck up, I'm a size 8 and know I'm lucky in that respect but my face sad
I've noticed I have that dry, pasty, wrinkly look that Tracey seems to have, while Carla looks softer, dewy, she's in her 40's but she glows, how?!
I do try to look after my skin, wear make up but I am clueless really. Can I have some suggestions for any products that will brighten up my tired, sallow looking face?!

Nettletheelf Tue 19-Jan-16 23:43:47

I haven't watched Corrie in years but Tracy Barlow was really attractive when I last looked. Are you sure that you're not mixing her up with Rita Fairclough?

Re Carla: lots of make up and highlighter.

whatdoIget Tue 19-Jan-16 23:48:54

I think Tracey looks nice!

WhataRacquet Tue 19-Jan-16 23:53:42

I think Tracy is gorgeous and natural looking. If you want to look like Carla gets loads of Botox and glue a glass of red wine to your hand.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Tue 19-Jan-16 23:54:11

I know exactly what you mean!

The actress who plays Tracey is only in her 30s but her skin looks very tired.

I'm worried mine's going the same way, I'd love a dewy, youthful look.

whatdoIget Tue 19-Jan-16 23:57:01

The actress who plays Tracy isn't afraid to appear without makeup if she's meant to look tired/upset/haggard, whereas Carla always has makeup on.

whatdoIget Wed 20-Jan-16 00:47:51

Also Botox

angelinalo Wed 20-Jan-16 01:37:21

Carla looks polished because she's never seen without a face full of neutral, flattering, well applied make up. So slap on the Double Wear and find a YLBB lipstick, and make sure you've either got good cheekbones or contour them in!

As PP says, Tracey is actually really pretty too but sometimes will be filmed 'first thing in the morning' wearing her dressing gown, no make up on, and so on.

Also I would go so far as to say that the make up artists on the show apply the make up to both actresses differently on purpose - Carla is meant to be the rich, glam one - her wardrobe (which I would LOVE!) and the at-all-times flawless make up and hair help represent that.

shirkingworking Wed 20-Jan-16 09:28:21

Yup - totally agree with all that. Kate Ford is really pretty. She's meant to look like she had less money than Carla so a 'cheaper' make-up look and wardrobe. Carla has more neutral colour lipsticks, eyes etc. Still lots of it but not as brash. Plus, Tracy cries, a lot more than Carla in a very snotty (less pretty) way. Although I haven't seen it for ages so not sure if that's true now! Carla is supposed to be 'classy' (hmm) - Tracy isn't.

Notonaschoolnight Wed 20-Jan-16 10:11:41

I agree with the above, one has botoxed for 10 years skin, while the other hasn't, Tracy's skin is dehydrated and lined, Carla's isn't (wish I could afford the upkeep of Botox sad ),

AnguaResurgam Wed 20-Jan-16 10:34:07

Setting aside the question of relative prettiness, I think the key thing is type of grooming. You might want to look at the 'how to look expensive without breaking the bank' threads.

I think the differences are:

a) hair. Both have straight hairdos falling well below the shoulders. But Tracey's hair looks thinner in the sense that it is often plastered to her scalp, and the curtains effect is ageing. Carla's hair looks thicker and has more lift away from her head (sorry if those aren't the right terms, but I hope YSWIM). I don't know if that's genes (basic hair texture) or something that can be tackled by a better cut, colour or blow drying.

b) jewellery. Tracey wears big hoop earrings a lot of the time. They fight her hair, and just emphasise the vertical lines down. Carla wears chunky stuff, and only one piece that you notice at a time so not blingy.

c) colour palette. Carla sticks to black and a pale neutral, usually taupe, and has classic pieces you see over and over but you don't really notice. Tracey wears all sorts of colour, some works, some doesn't, and though her wardrobe seems more extensive it works together less well. Her choice of coats is particularly iffy.

d) good genes. You can't do much about this one, but Tracey has more forehead lines than Carla.

e) eyebrows. I think Tracey's look better than Carla's, as the former are more natural. Both are however very well shaped and groomed.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 20-Jan-16 23:40:48

Tracey's hair really bugs me. It's far too fine and far too straight to suit being that long. It just looks lank as hell.

Carla gets the botox and the better wardrobe.

whatdoIget Thu 21-Jan-16 00:06:05

I think Carla's clothes are really boring. She always seems to be wearing the same thing. I've obviously got cheap taste grin

FireCrotch Thu 21-Jan-16 13:51:39

Ive noticed that Carla has stopped wearing heels when in a full length scene with Nick. It really affects the way she walks now. She doesn't tend to click clack confidently along in her killer boots anymore. Now she's always linking him and walking slowly beside him. Anyone else noticed that? grin I read somewhere that on Corrie they get the actresses to do their own hair and makeup for key scenes. (Or they at least get a big say in it). My friend has also seen the actress that plays Liz buying "Liz" clothes in TK maxx.

MNetter15 Thu 21-Jan-16 13:57:33

I really hate to pass comments on someone's appearance but I has noticed lately that Tracey (Kate) has aged a lot, all of a sudden, especially around the eyes.

Carla looks too fierce IMO.

I'd probably lean more towards Michelle's look, isn't she kind if somewhere between the 2? Glam and well presented but not as fierce or OTT as Carla.

burnishedsilver Thu 21-Jan-16 13:58:59

Proper cleansing
Glycolic acid toner
Retinol

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 21-Jan-16 13:59:06

FireCrotch I noticed Carla was wearing flats the other day, it completely altered her look!

ifonly4 Thu 21-Jan-16 14:11:45

As said before, Carla has a team behind her helping her achieve that look for the role. If only a lot of us knew a few simple tips that would help though!

Someone with more expertise than me can probably advice OP, but do try and drink plenty, eat well, and keep your skin cleansed and moisturized. If you were foundation, maybe look for products with brightening properties.

Diamogs Thu 21-Jan-16 14:25:32

Haven't watched Corrie for ages but just did a quick google and I think Angua is spot on.

MsBojangles Thu 21-Jan-16 15:56:09

Agree with burnishedsilver, those three steps make a huge difference to the quality of your skin.

largered Thu 21-Jan-16 16:35:57

Hmm I'm not sure if Alison King has had Botox. She doesn't look like she has, but then she certainly doesn't look her age. I suspect it's actually Kate Ford who likes a glass of red, rather than Carla, as she does have the classic wine face confused I know that sounds really mean, but I heard that drinking wine regularly causes very deep nose to mouth lines and dehydrated skin, which she has. Obviously I have no idea about her life style. It could very well all be down to genes.

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 21-Jan-16 16:38:21

I think her forehead is suspiciously smooth and still and eyebrows have that telltale sign. She doesn't look overly botoxed though.

desperatehousewife21 Thu 21-Jan-16 16:40:16

I love Carla and would much prefer to look like her than Tracey but agree with the pp who have said Tracey is meant to look cheaper and think about where they live too, Carla's flat is amazing and modern and her clothes/ hair/ make up all reflect her lifestyle.

Def agree that Tracey shouldn't have long hair and even when it's curled it doesn't look better, it needs lift away from the roots so half up do's or messy buns would look better.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 22-Jan-16 12:22:18

Oh god largered is that true?!

<quits drinking immediately>

PuppyMonkey Fri 22-Jan-16 12:40:05

They've shown Carla with no make up on numerous occasions - she still looks amazing. I know it's probably no make up make up but still.

I actually think Carla is just a naturally beautiful woman, bone structure etc. I have a bit if a crush on her. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now