Just stretched and softened DMs...with cous cous

(18 Posts)
SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 09:19:00

I'd bought by first ever brand new DrMartens, lovely calf high cherry a year ago. They've defeated me though, a year in and probably 50 miles of on off trying coupled with further feet expansion from pregnancy and they were still unwearable for long periods...so filled them with cous cous and poured water in (and cleared the unused pile of the stuff I had!). Stretched evenly, nice and soft and dried well. Now much much softer! I guess if desperate you could also leave outside to freeze to expand further.

Though I'd share for anyone else struggling with thick tough leather! It's a fine grain so no folds or uneven bits like with newspaper.

MadisonMontgomery Tue 19-Jan-16 09:23:17

Okay I need to stretch some boots so am interested - how exactly does it work? Do you pour the couscous in loose & add water, or do you put it in ziplock bags or something? Does it not just overflow out of the top of the boots?

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 09:32:35

I just put it in loose, for evenness. I guess you could fill the bottom of old tights with it? I filled about 2/3 up then added water. DMs are pretty tough, I'd protect stainable leather.

Bit of a bitch scooping out toe box but worth it.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Tue 19-Jan-16 09:34:52

I had a pair that were stiff and DH put something called "dubbin" (I know this 'cos he kept saying "dubbin" in a silly voice) on them and left them over night somewhere warm-ish. Seemed to do the trick.

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 09:38:48

I been through a lot of dubin, they weren't even soaking it in!

MadisonMontgomery Tue 19-Jan-16 09:51:30

Brill - mine is just the calf part rather than the foot bit so I might put it in tights to control how far it goes down. Thanks for the tip, I would never have thought of couscous!

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 09:59:43

maybe newspaper in the foot and then cous cous in the leg.

I was cleaning out cupboards and decided it was worth a shot!

noisytoys Tue 19-Jan-16 13:00:32

I always take new DMs to the key cutting shop - they charge £3 to stretch them overnight.

letseatgrandma Tue 19-Jan-16 13:31:52

You put loose cous cous in!? Won't you be finding little bits in the boots for years? Doesn't it smell!??

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 14:55:16

it clumps together and comes out together, not a particularly smelly food

Ambroxide Tue 19-Jan-16 15:15:15

Is there a way to soften them without stretching? Or alternatively, did they stretch an awful lot? My lovely silvery grey DMs are pretty uncomfortable for long periods of time but pretty much the right size.

Kenworthington Tue 19-Jan-16 15:27:35

That's well random op, what the heck made you think of that??!

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 15:58:32

Cleaning the cupboards out after nursery run. Sore feet, cous cous everywhere that I felt guilty chucking....my dh laughed...but it worked!

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 16:02:43

They hardly stretched at all really, freezing may do that. A little stretch and a lot softer

Ambroxide Tue 19-Jan-16 21:16:18

Oh, that's good to hear! I may give this a go!

How long did you leave it in?

SexDrugsAndSausageRoll Tue 19-Jan-16 22:05:49

Overnight figured was easy to repeat if needed

Ambroxide Tue 19-Jan-16 22:24:06

Thanks! May well give this a go!

GeekLove Wed 20-Jan-16 11:00:17

Hmm Cous cous in tights - perhaps this'll help stretch out the toes in my DM Mary Janes. thanks OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now