Talk

Advanced search

eBay cashmere-fail

(19 Posts)
bigbuttons Mon 18-Jan-16 17:54:29

I fancied trying some second-hand cashmere. The new stuff is vey expensive for me. I have bought three items from eBay( different sellers) and each one has obviously shrunk and is unwearable .
Clearly this is not a successful route. I have been refunded for most of the money, but am disappointed none the less.
Where can I go to for affordable cashmere or is there even such a thing?

DragonRojo Mon 18-Jan-16 17:57:09

How much were you thinking of spending? I find the Uniqlo once nice and they are about £69

getoffthattabletnow Mon 18-Jan-16 17:58:17

Tk Maxx.

DragonRojo Mon 18-Jan-16 17:58:33

Alternatively, you could try the cheaper but still nice option of mixed Cashmere and Merino by Woolovers

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Jan-16 17:58:54

I've had a lot of success with eBay cashmere.

Not quite as wonderful, but affordable and reliable, Woolovers do many styles and colours of knitwear in a cashmere/merino mix.

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Jan-16 17:59:31

X post!

MrsFlorrick Mon 18-Jan-16 18:00:46

Uniqlo.

I've got lots of very expensive cashmere (joseph max mara that type of thing) but when the DCwere babies I didn't want to risk the expensive stuff so started picking up a few cashmere and cashmere cotton blends in Uniqlo. Fab stuff. Lasts really well and great choice of styles and colours.

If you can stretch to the 100% cashmere at £69
Then there are some great either cotton or wool blend cashmere sweaters there which start at £28 and are great.

louloubelle2 Mon 18-Jan-16 18:08:07

As it was three different items - three different brands?? - are you sure it wasn't the way you washed them rather than the fault of the buying second hand off eBay?

bigbuttons Mon 18-Jan-16 19:11:07

Thanks everyone!
I have some woolovers tops, they are fab I agree.

I haven't washed the eBay ones,mthey arrived all really short in the body( I have a very short torso myself anyway!) and tight across the chest even though I am only 32/4 inch size 8 and I bought them advertised as size 10 -12'
£69 would be too expensive for me sadly hence the attempts at second hand.
I looked to tk maxx yesterday but I couldn't see anything. I think it must have gone in the sales.
I will keep searching though!

Iwanttobeadog Mon 18-Jan-16 19:20:51

Tesco had their v neck jumpers reduced to £20 a week or so ago. Not the best quality but perfectly good, especially for £20. I bought 3 sizes too big and they're nice and slouchy

everythingsgoingsouth Mon 18-Jan-16 19:46:23

www.clothingattesco.com/f+f-signature/f+f-signature-v-neck-cashmere-jumper/invt/bm521369

GodImtired Mon 18-Jan-16 21:25:10

I buy all my cashmere off eBay (we're talking lots), I only buy Brora and bar one, which I got my money back on because it had clearly been badly washed, all have been fab.
I've had some real bargains too. I rarely pay more than £25 mind you I am a small size 8/10 in Brora, so maybe less popular, so this might account for why they're such a good price.
One word of advise do make sure you've got good moth protection if you own cashmere jumpers!!!

fastdaytears Mon 18-Jan-16 21:28:38

Charity shops. A couple near me have lots come in and sell for less than £10.

Also believe it or not, have had proper cashmere from Ali Express for under £20.

TK Maxx for £40-50 ish but some crazy colours.

ISeeIt Mon 18-Jan-16 21:29:51

Gap January sale! Go go go! Cashmere jumpers £30 and merino wool even less. They're in the men's section but the small ones are a great fit for me

NewBallsPlease00 Tue 19-Jan-16 00:39:33

Love ok at Boden on eBay/ their official shop
Often 100% cashmere at 35-45
I am a 10/12 abd buy 16 + to be slouchy and allow for wash shrink

bigbuttons Tue 19-Jan-16 06:45:48

Ok thanks
Brora
Gap men's sale. Curses was only in gap ladies on sunday, didn't think to search then mens! They had a cashmere cardi reduced to £69... too much for me.

The tescos ones aren't anywhere near my size sadly, but thanks for the tip on buying bigger!
Of to trawl eBay again.
sadly I've never found any cashmere in our charity shops, I'll just have to keep on looking smile

Bouncey Tue 19-Jan-16 09:24:01

Another fan of Brora - if you care for it well it literally lasts forever and there's usually a few pieces on eBay. Haven't found anything else of a similar quality.

proteins Tue 19-Jan-16 11:54:26

Brora recommendation from me too. I went into their store yesterday wearing a cardigan I bought from them 7 years ago, my cardi quality is still comparable to their stock in store.

Anonymum40 Tue 19-Jan-16 12:13:23

I bought a fab long length cashmere cardigan in TKMaxx for £47 (there was a small hole in the collar, so got a 10% discount. I love it, very light but lovely and warm. It says it's dry clean only though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now