Prescribe me a budget friendly skin routine please

(12 Posts)
itsbetterthanabox Sun 17-Jan-16 19:46:43

Wise ones I'm bad at sticking to anything so make me do it!
My skin is:
Age 27 combination to oily with a lot of redness and some spots all the time, but more spots when I'm due on period. Mainly bumpy red ones and whiteheads.
My skin feels rough and as I'm extremely pale the red blotches on cheeks and around my nose show badly. It's slightly sensitive but not too much. I have slight bags under eyes too.
I prefer wipe off cleansing products but know these aren't as good as wash off but I'm so lazy! Are they that bad? Don't like oils too much as I'm a contact lens wearer and I always manage to smear them somehow!

Prescribe me the skin care full works but not too pricey please! What can I do to get clear, smooth skin!!? I need a good routine I can stick too.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 17-Jan-16 19:47:52

Also I've tried la Roche posay efflaclar which I know ppl love but it broke me out terrible and my skin went sore.

mowglik Mon 18-Jan-16 00:17:50

Hi - I'm no expert but I would recommend some acids to address the spots and skin texture. BHA acid based product for spots and AHA products for skin texture and also post spot care. Have a look at the nip fab range. If you use this make sure you use a good spf as well.

Try cleansing balms if you like to wipe off your cleanser, I think they are better for your skin than foaming cleansers anyway. Superdrug do a good one, can't remember the name of it but it's cheap!

Nabootique Mon 18-Jan-16 09:34:47

What's your budget?

itsbetterthanabox Mon 18-Jan-16 09:57:14

Thank you smile.
Um budget so a Roche posay was at the top end of what I'd be able to pay per item. Which is why I was annoyed when it made my skin worse lol!

Peevedquitter Mon 18-Jan-16 10:13:22

I had a medical for a job when I was very young and the Dr told me to avoid as many products as possible as I have sensitive skin and was prone to outbreaks when young. I wash with water only and use a light moisturiser from Aldi of all places.

The great thing about having greasy skin is I have virtually no lines at all at my advanced age and people actually compliment me on my complexion.

Nabootique Mon 18-Jan-16 10:16:06

Okay. My skin was very much like yours when I first started off, so hopefully some of this will be good for you!

If you wear makeup and/or SPF I'd recommend double cleansing. Una Brennan Vitamin C cleansing oil first (usually on offer in Boots), flannel off then go in with a milk/cream. The one mowglik recommends is probably the Naturally Radiant Hot Cloth Cleanser and that is good and cheap, or Boots Botanics do some milk/lotion ones that are also nice.

Agree with the Nip+Fab recommendation. The Dragons Blood pads have salicylic acid so if you can only afford one, go for those, otherwise get those and the Glycolic Fix ones and alternate.

A serum will address your specific skin concerns, but this is harder to do on a budget. People rave about the Aldi and Superdrug ones, but I don't know if they'd be any good for your skin problems. I use this one www.bravuralondon.com/collections/treatment/products/15-glycolic-acid-detoxifying-gel-50ml if I'm having a breakout and find it to be really good, but someone else might be able to recommend something cheaper. The best one I have found for redness is the S5 Skincare Pure Serum, but that is quite expensive. I was having a few spots and some redness (thanks hormones and central heating and cold) but a combination of these two has sorted it out.

Depending on what serum you are using (something like the S5 one is quite moisturising) you can go light with a moisturiser. Something like La Roche Posay Toleraine fluid. I know you didn't get on with the brand, but this moisturiser is not like Effaclar products. If you were using a lighter serum, like the Bravura, you might want a slightly richer moisturiser at night.

SquadGoals Mon 18-Jan-16 11:25:01

Nabootique beat me to it!

Second Una Brennan at Boots and Nip + Fab.

Superdrug also do a good glycolic range and I like REN cleansers - they are on Beauty Expert often with 20% off.

AnnaBanana11 Mon 18-Jan-16 11:35:45

Come and join us over at MrsGloss&TheGoss on FB. The girls are lovely and this is a question that there's loads of info on

itsbetterthanabox Mon 18-Jan-16 22:16:13

Thank you nabootique!
I will join.
So what are the serums for? Extra moisturising? Do I need acid in one if I'm using an acid toner? Anyone know of any cheaper serums for my skin type?

itsbetterthanabox Mon 18-Jan-16 22:30:05

Would this be any good?
http://www.superdrug.com/Nip-Fab/NipFab-Glycolic-Fix-Serum-30ml/p/828358

Nabootique Tue 19-Jan-16 08:41:32

The idea with serums is that they target your skin issue; spots, ageing, dullness or whatever, and then a moisturiser is chosen for your skin type. Serums can be moisturising as well, depending on the ingredients, but you probably won't want one that is too rich. It's okay to have acid in one if you are using a mild acid toner and perhaps don't use that serum every night.

I've not tried the Nip+Fab one but it could be a good place for you to start. The ingredients look okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now