Talk

Advanced search

what do you wear for your "style"? has it changed since becoming a mother?

(16 Posts)
ppandj Sun 17-Jan-16 19:35:44

What do you wear as a mum?

Pre-pregnancy, I wore skinny jeans and ballet pumps/sandals/ankle boots with camisole tops/fine knit sweaters/plain jersey tops (all weather dependent). I have always dressed fairly plainly but had more of a classic "style" (neutral colours, pearl earrings, minimal costume jewellery, big scarves) don't want to sound like a complete knob. I was a size 8-10 and used to spend time on my hair and make up so that I looked groomed but still casual.

I put on a lot of weight while pregnant so my old clothes don't fit at the moment. I am doing slimming world to remedy this and it is coming off very gradually, so I'm sure that will help. However, I feel like I have totally lost my "style" and don't know what to wear now that I have a baby. All of a sudden I want more practical things and can't be bothered to wear nicer tops only to have to wash them constantly. Is this a rite of passage for a new mum or am I missing something? Those celebrities all look super glam post kids and I am barely able to wash my hair!

MrsKoala Sun 17-Jan-16 20:42:29

I think your clothes pre-mum sound really practical with children (in fact other than a boiler suit i can't think of anything which would be more easy to wear). Perhaps you need to pare down your hair and make up routine?

Pre-mum i wore pencil skirts, fishnet tights and silk shirts and heels or high waisted wide legged trousers, with a twin set/smart knit top/shirt and brogues. I used to wash my hair every other day and wore it down with make up and jewellery every day.

Now i wear skinny jeans/velvet stretch trousers, thin knit fitted v neck jumpers with long sleeved t-shirts beneath, flat boots/converse. I wash my hair/shower twice a week if lucky, wear tinted moisturiser, mascara and tinted lip salve and use a fuckton of dry shampoo most days (some days not even that). Hair up. Jewellery only if i'm sans kids.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 17-Jan-16 20:59:23

I am the opposite. As soon as I became a mum. I developed a sense of fashion. And the ability to suddenly know what colors to put together. I think it was a fear of being seen as one of those dowdy mums at the park, toddler group and school gate ect.
I seemed to go from dowdy to glamorous almost over night.

Floowho Mon 18-Jan-16 09:07:45

Lots of us feel like you op, especially as your body and shape has changed and that can take some getting used to. Try and get yourself out of the slobby clothes and buy jeans that fit and flatter. Same with tops, just make sure they are machine washable!

muddymary Mon 18-Jan-16 09:50:12

I feel exactly the same. I seem to live in no make up, jeans and hoodies. I've been thinking about starting a thread as pre-ds I think I was good at that boho/haven't tried to hard look whereas now I look like I haven't tried at all! I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Missushb Mon 18-Jan-16 10:37:14

Yes, I'm also the same. Although I think I got dowdy before I had my ds! I think it was a combination of putting weight on in my late 20s that put me off clothes. I love clothes on other people, just don't know what to do with them myself. I'm also 'reducing', doing WW. I'm living in two pairs of black sainsburys jeggings and a couple of jumpers as nothing else fits. Any suggestions for that losing weight phase?! X

ppandj Mon 18-Jan-16 13:26:15

Right, it's a Monday- new week, I'm on annual leave and I am taking action!! I've been batch cooking some healthy meals and am goingto do some gym classes this week. Also in the pipeline; I'm going to put some tan on (which always makes me feel like I look better). On Friday my friend is coming round to help with a wardrobe cull which I think will help to get a bit more of a consistent style. Any other ideas?

Floowho Mon 18-Jan-16 14:09:18

Book in for a hair trim to get rid of straggly ends? Wear lipstick and mascara.

TheCatsMeow Mon 18-Jan-16 15:19:03

I like vintage dresses and skirts, I have an 11" difference between waist and hips so flared dresses look good. My style has stayed the same, I only gained just over a stone when pregnant and my baby was nearly 8lb so it just fell off.

I hear you about hair washing, I'm thankful I don't have hair that gets greasy easily otherwise I'd look a right mess.

Why not go to a makeup counter and get some new colours?

MNetter15 Mon 18-Jan-16 15:23:17

I didn't become stylish or into my appearance until after I had my 3rd baby. Like iliveinalighthouse said, something 'clicked' and I completely transformed myself. I'm a busy mum of 3 but I don't fall for 'don't have time to....'. I MAKE time for it, even if it means having an audience whilst washing hair/shaving/doing makeup etc. DS in particular was/is an unputdownable baby so I've become an expert at doing makeup with one hand.

My advice is (not just you OP, but women/new mums in general) - sort your hair first - cut and colour, followed by eyebrows (I get tint and shape). Next, tackle your weight. I got loads of style inspiration from fashion blogs, Facebook pages, this forum, magazines, walking around the high street shops.When I started, I genuinely had no idea what was 'in' and what suited me. It was trial and error to begin with.
Good luck!

TheCatsMeow Mon 18-Jan-16 15:28:30

I second make the time. If DS is moaning I take my hair and makeup into his room and pretend I'm doing a YouTube tutorial grin

trilbydoll Mon 18-Jan-16 15:45:51

I wear more leggings and tunics, I think they're more forgiving - if jeans don't fit, they're uncomfortable and irritating. And while I didn't mind pre kids, now I'm moving around a lot more, bending over etc, jeans falling down is the last thing I need.

I get my hair cut regularly, and my eyebrows done weekly. If I can achieve presentable with minimal effort, I'm happy!

I have a bath every morning, sometimes with a little friend, so I am clean even if my clothes are decorated with baby vomit grin

toffeeboffin Mon 18-Jan-16 15:50:10

TBH my style hasn't really changed.

I've always made an effort, but now I make even more of an effort at work as weekends are spent more scruffily. But I'm still presentable, jeans, boots, scarves etc.

I refuse to look dowdy because I'm a mother. I am only 34 and want to look good! People have said to me 'You don't look like a mum' hmm

I actually lost weight after having DS as I was at home and could cook healthy meals, take DS for massive long walks and because of that developed even more of an interest in fashion (not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination)

toffeeboffin Mon 18-Jan-16 15:51:47

It takes the same amount of time to put something decent on as it does crappy jeans and a hoody.

Difference is you will feel better.

Fresh hair and a splash of make up make all the difference too. I know that this can be hard when time pressed.

SayAGreatBigThankyou Mon 18-Jan-16 17:54:17

same as lighthouse. I look better pushing 40 than I did 15 years ago!

op your pre-baby style sounds v similar to mine. Uniqlo merino is washing machine-friendly, and DP eden leggings are v forgiving.

And don't compare yourself to celebs - we'd all look just as amazing with the stylists, beauticians, free clothes, professional photographers, lighting and photoshop they all have.

ppandj Mon 18-Jan-16 20:49:19

It's the day to day maintenance I find I have no time for. I get my nails shellac'd and have lashes and brows tinted, shaped etc. My hair is brown balayage presently and, when clean, quite glossy if I do say so myself! But I still look so much scruffier than I used to. Today I had baby poo on my jeans and lentil soup on my top! I think I need to perfect a nice hair-up style so that I can look a bit more polished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now