Talk

Advanced search

Polo necks/turtle necks...

(18 Posts)
ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 16-Jan-16 18:56:34

...Can fat folk wear them?
Well I know they can, but should they?
I'm 5ft7/8, size 16 with biggish boobs (32gg) I've been seeing loads of pictures of polo necks going around and they look so cosy (I'm in Scotland and it's been -5 for weeks) could I get away with wearing this style? I'm thinking probably not...

toffeeboffin Sat 16-Jan-16 19:02:49

I wear them all the time, in fact that I'm wearing one now!

I'm 5'5 with 36d boobs, I don't look too shelf like.

They look good with jeans and boots.

toffeeboffin Sat 16-Jan-16 19:03:54

They also look cute with a skirt and boots.

MardyGrave Sat 16-Jan-16 19:06:31

I wouldn't.

bigbuttons Sat 16-Jan-16 19:11:15

You neck length is important with polo necks. Short necked people should avoid them.

amarmai Sat 16-Jan-16 19:27:25

i find a thin knit polo neck emphasises my double chins but a thicker knit with a wider rib is looser and hides my 2 chins-a bit !

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 16-Jan-16 19:30:46

Food for thought. I think I have an average length neck but I've not considered it before
I think a shopping trip to try some might be the way forward. I'm thinking loose styles might be too boxy and make me look ginormous and tighter fitting might emphasise boobs and and extra pounds round my middle. It's s bloody minefield, oh to be slim...

P1nkP0ppy Sat 16-Jan-16 19:38:18

So long as you wear a well-fitting bra and the top isn't tight then of course you can wear them. I'm 36F and I think I look fine (and DH would say something if I didn't!)
They're lovely and cosy too!

Seeyounearertime Sat 16-Jan-16 19:42:38

the next logical question is where to purchase such tops?

I've seen no end on amazon and other places but you cant feel them to see how thin they are n such.

Rosebag Sat 16-Jan-16 19:48:51

Interested in this. I am size 12-14 on top but 32G. I stopped wearing polo necks because of the received wisdom that they're not a good look with larger boobs. But actually mine don't look that big in spite of the huge cup size, and I'd like to find a black polo that is not too thick, not too clingy over the boobs, not boxy or too short and a good quality knit. Any ideas?

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 16-Jan-16 19:52:20

rosebag you have described the kind I want, now just to find one! How do you accessorise one?! Just abandon necklaces altogether?

Rosebag Sat 16-Jan-16 20:10:25

I guess a nice scarf could break it up a bit. I like the look of a polo under a jacket. Not sure about necklaces though ..... My own style would be noticeable earrings I think, to draw the eye up.

Rosebag Sat 16-Jan-16 20:12:54

Not a fan of necklaces with polo necks personally. Perhaps a scarf would break things up a bit? I also like the look of an non accessorised polo under a jacket. I think chunky earrings would draw the eye up....more my sort of style, however I have seen some people in polos with necklaces looking great.

Rosebag Sat 16-Jan-16 20:13:37

Whoops, posted twice for some reason....

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 16-Jan-16 20:20:32

Think this is going to be trial and error more error I suspect

Rosebag Sat 16-Jan-16 20:24:52

pricey but good reviews

ChesterFuckingDraws Sat 16-Jan-16 20:33:28

Looks good, like the colour too.

GnomePhone Sat 16-Jan-16 20:57:11

M&S is worth a look, not sure about this season but got some lovely soft stretchy cotton ones a year or so ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now