Talk

Advanced search

Colour experts - was my analysis wrong?

(6 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Sat 16-Jan-16 18:00:11

I had a colour session with House of Colour a couple of years ago after I'd had DC1 and was feeling lost style-wise. I was told I am a Burnished Winter which surprised me as I look awful in the typical jewel winter colours and think my best colours are khaki and coral.
I have dark blonde (mousey really) hair, neutral skin and hazel eyes. I don't think my skin is cool or warm but somewhere in between and there's not much contrast in my colouring.
I wear nude toned/peachy makeup and have blonde lights put in my hair- I've always fancied going darker been told by numerous hairdressers that I if I were to go much darker than my natural hair colour it would be very high maintenance.
The only colour in my paletter that I could see really does suit me is mole but other than that I've pretty much disregarded the analysis and wear what I think looks good.
I'm just curious to see if any others have had a similar experience or if any of the colour experts on here could give their opinion on whether I was wrongly analysed?

Hopefully Sat 16-Jan-16 18:11:13

Did you 'see' it while she was doing the analysis? Was anyone else in the class? I would recommend as a first step contacting your consultant and saying exactly what you've said here. Of course it's possible that you were done wrong - it does happen, albeit very very rarely - but equally it's possible that you're so used to yourself looking a certain way (peachy make up/light hair) that you find the change difficult. Impossible to say without seeing you.

If you weren't originally analysed in a class, it might be possible for you to go back into a group environment and other clients can see the analysis too, which will help you believe whatever the analysis is. A burnished winter is tricky to analyse, because it is one of the neutral seasons. I am a blue Autumn, which is the warm side of that neutral line between Autumn and winter.

Hopefully Sat 16-Jan-16 18:11:37

I'm a HoC consultant, in case that wasn't obvious!

midnightmoomoo Sat 16-Jan-16 21:36:07

I had my colours done in 2001 and I came out as a summer.....I was really shocked at the time and it took me a while to get used to my colours even though my favourite colours anyway are blue, purple, pink and duck egg!!!! (Should have been a clue, but years before I was told I was an Autumn, plus I'm aurburn-y haired and I'd spent years before colour analysis wearing black)

The one thing I challenged my consultant on was jewellery, as I don't suit silver rings at all....I'm a mixed metals girl.

So, maybe you need to give it time to get used to the change, especially if the colours are not what you've been used to. But a couple of tops in your best colours and start there, you don't have to change everything at once.

user7755 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:49:52

I am thinking about getting my colours done, looking on the website I like the sound of the whole package but I have a couple of concerns:

1) the pictures of the team on the website are all very 'twinset and pearls', classic, middle aged. This is the total opposite of what I like to wear, does this mean that it wouldn't be appropriate for me?
2) how much is it? It sounds like a group class is £170, what does it involve? What do you get for that amount of money?

PontypineNumber9 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:12:16

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I couldn't really see it at the time either. I think I'll just carry on with taking the colours from it that I do like but not being constrained to those. It has taught me to pay extra attention to colour though and to recognise when something is completely off for me (even if it looks good on someone else) - so I think it was a useful exercise and has helped me avoid a few disasters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now