Talk

Advanced search

Light ash blonde or medium ash blonde??

(11 Posts)
Youvegottobekidding Sat 16-Jan-16 17:23:17

Okay, so at the moment my hair colour is like a lightish reddy brown - I've messed about with it a lot before Christmas, which involved having lots & lots of bleach highlights put through last November, only to make me look ridiculous so have been colouring it since with gingery colours.

At my roots, (I am naturally auburn! but haven't seen it for years & years!) I can see a more ashy lighter brown or it could be grey!

I'd like to reduce some of the red/gingery tones in my hair & make it more of a lighter brown, a caramel brown. I was thinking I could try a medium ash blonde or a light ash blonde - ash to neutralise the red/ginge and blonde because I don't want to go darker, I fear if I choose a light ash brown it will definitely turn darker. I think I'm safe with a light ash blonde??

Tate15 Sat 16-Jan-16 17:36:18

Be careful as your hair may be porous and may go darker. Always select a lighter shade.

Have you tried reducing the brassy tones instead? I'll find a link.

Tate15 Sat 16-Jan-16 17:40:09

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FCharles-Worthington-Colour-Revive-Mousse-Violet-Toning_1690975%2F&unCountry=uk

PollyPerky Sat 16-Jan-16 19:37:00

why not go to a hairdresser? colour is too important to do yourself.

Arrowminta Sat 16-Jan-16 19:57:45

Sounds very similar to my recent hair dye problems. Friends messed up highlights, they were orange so I put on dark ash blond. It was better but still looked gingery which doesn't suit me. I put on a light ash blond and it looked light orange.

Ended up going to a colourist and am now a normal shade of light brown even though she put a no 7 on and it looked lighter on the colour chart.

I'm naturally medium brown but getting greyer at the roots hence wanting to go lighter.

HTH

3littlefrogs Sat 16-Jan-16 20:00:54

If your natural colour is an auburn shade i would go for a warmer blonde - something like a honey blonde.

Youvegottobekidding Sat 16-Jan-16 22:13:03

Thanks for your replies!

Tate - great idea, although I'd say my hair leans towards more of a brown than a blonde at the moment so I don't think the violet toner will have any effect?

Polly - I can't afford another trip to the salon, apart from my hubby banning me from them, I just couldn't fork out another small fortune!!

I don't suit blonde, I know that now, I wish I did! My hair was auburn, like a golden auburn when I was little, then I dyed it first time when I was 15 to black! Since then it's been all colours! I may just try & leave it a while & see what colour comes through at the roots - I had it dark brown for the last couple of years (prior to the highlights usual fading) & my roots always came through so light.

I'm washing my hair with vosene now and after every wash can see the highlights trying to peek through, so maybe given time my hair will lighten a tad more & then I can try an ash blonde on it. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Tate15 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:46:48

I have recently stripped my hair using Scott Cornwall colour removed. Fab stuff and better than colour b4 which I have previously used awhile ago. It took my hair back to a light yellowy colour first of all then by morning had gone more of a faded orange.

I then used nice and easy light ash brown semi permanent and put it on for just under ten minutes knowing that my hair would be porous. It has gone very dark. Almost back, a very dark grey which will fade as it is semipermanent. I am happy with this but obviously it is nowhere near the colour depicted on the box.

This is why I suggest you use a lighter than you think you want shade as it is easy to go darker but much harder to go lighter!
This is what I used no 75

www.clairol.co.uk/en-UK/products/nice-n-easy/no-ammonia

Youvegottobekidding Sun 17-Jan-16 11:41:08

Tate - I've used colour B4 many times, the last two times I used it was just before I had my highlights done & both times my hair 're-oxidised' & went back dark within a couple of days!

If I listed everything I've done to my hair since the end of last October, you will be amazed that I've still got hair!!! There's colour B4 twice, a one level colour over that, highlights, then just wash in wash out colour shampoos (so not that bad) then I think I put a semi Amber colour on which went darker than I thought it would, so I did a vitamin c hair dye remover thing - brought my highlights back a bit but my hair looked quite golden yellowy. Continued using the wash in out colour things in a warm copper colour. Then I think I put an auburn colour on as I wanted it more red (changed of mind, wanted it like a more intense auburn) it went too red! So washed & washed, it faded out well. Started to look non-descript colour - so I put a light golden auburn on, no real difference.

That's it! Ha ha, so yes I've hair left, no it's not in terribly great condition, but it's holding up well considering! I'm thinking now I'd probably suit a lesser red colour. I should probably leave well alone though for now!

CreviceImp Sun 17-Jan-16 11:51:06

I wouldn't put an ash over it. It won't look good over the current processed hair and will fade really quickly leaving it the colour of old teddy bears.

If you want to even it up go with a light golden brown. It will be dark than you want at first but will soon lift after a couple of washes to a caramel tone.

unimaginativename13 Sun 17-Jan-16 12:03:19

If you use something too light your roots will be lighter as colour doesn't lift colour.

So technically you will have blonde roots and muddy ends.

If your using a lighter colour too probably cause damage and not do much

you can go to some salons that charge £15 - £20. I would do that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now