Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for 1940's Film Noir Fancy Dress? Desperate!

(12 Posts)
Lovestosing Sat 16-Jan-16 10:31:58

I'm going to a friend's 40th in a month and the theme is Film Noir, I am already paying for a hotel, travel costs plus several meals so my budget is quite tight. Fancy dress shops in this town are awful, the quality is horrendous and I suspect people at the party will be spending a lot of money on outfits. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am completely stumped, I feel like not going to be honest!

VoyageOfDad Sat 16-Jan-16 10:42:10

Google image is your friend !

As a starting point I'd go for the monochrome look.

Lovestosing Sat 16-Jan-16 10:53:31

Thanks, I have looked for images but although I've seen lovely outfits I can't see me spending anything less than a fortune!

Trills Sat 16-Jan-16 11:21:20

What kind of things do you have already?

You may be able to use your regular clothes, arranged in a different way, plus red lipstick, a fedora, and a cigarette holder.

MrsNoraCharles Sat 16-Jan-16 13:05:56

Tight pencil skirt, tucked in blouse (silky ideally), heels, stockings with seams, lots of lipstick. That's a hard-boiled secretary look: very Barbara Stanwyck. Adding a fedora, as above, would be great.

Or if you have wide legged slouchy trousers, tucked in top (long sleeved t would be fine), brogues. Hugely Katharine Hepburn. She was very under-stated.

Evening wear is harder as you'd have to buy it, and yes, probably v. expensive to buy from scratch.

iklboo Sat 16-Jan-16 13:11:23

See if your local charity shop has a trench coat. That, belted, over clothes & a fedora type hat (also charity shop), loads of lippy, seamed stockings / tights & heels.

Lovestosing Sat 16-Jan-16 18:13:39

Love those ideas, thank you! I have a pencil skirt and heels of course, just need to find the rest!

VoyageOfDad Sat 16-Jan-16 22:04:39

when I said monochrome, I meant literally. I've seen pics of women made up with just black and white make up, theatrical so ears as well !, so that they look like a black and white photo.

Obviously the clothes are black and white too.

Maybe a charity shop might throw up someones old twinset from the yesteryears..

Sunbeam1112 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:05:52

Try ebay

VoyageOfDad Sat 16-Jan-16 22:05:58

< disclaimer, I don't as a rule lurk in Style and Beauty. Active and all that >

IJustLostTheGame Sun 17-Jan-16 10:16:38

I want to go to this party.
I have all my great granny's beautiful black silk evening dresses in the attic and nowhere to wear them too.

MaidrinRua Sun 17-Jan-16 18:37:42

Lindy Bop have loads of noir style dresses in sale for less than |£20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now