Talk

Advanced search

Help me to kit out my dd please

(16 Posts)
Getit Fri 15-Jan-16 23:11:11

DD is quite depressed about herself right now. She has gained some weight recently but is intending to try and lose it. She is 14 , tall , very large boobs( not sure what size now as she refuses to get measured ) she is very broad shouldered too. Please help advise me on what types of clothes to get for her. She would feel so much better about herself if she wore the right clothes for her shape. She hates her arms and won't wear anything low cut obviously.
Wise mumsnetters help please?

macdat Sat 16-Jan-16 00:53:37

V-necks are nice for broad shoulders, and don't have to be too low cut. And definitely have a look at some minimiser bras if her boobs are getting her down.

Getit Sat 16-Jan-16 07:34:36

Thanks will definitely try the minimiser bras if I can get her to be measured.
Wouldn't have considered v necks but like you say there are some that aren't too low.

Shannaratiger Sat 16-Jan-16 07:36:45

I wear v necks with a round neck vest underneath if too low cut for a situation.

BubsandMoo Sat 16-Jan-16 07:37:54

Will she measure herself and use the bra intervention method to help her work out a size? Then she won't have to have a stranger measure her

FauxFox Sat 16-Jan-16 07:39:16

What is her style/personality/interests? Clothes are so important to most teens and I'd love to do you a list of recs but it would help to know if she's more preppy, boho, vintage, into anime or sport or whatever to see if I can find stuff she would actually like smile

Lweji Sat 16-Jan-16 07:48:34

Why don't you both go bra shopping in Bravissimo? Go shopping for yourself and take her along. You don't need to be that big to shop there. They may not even need to use a tape measure.
She may well feel better when having a comfortable bra that keeps them all in place.
She may also benefit from shaped shirts.

Getit Sat 16-Jan-16 08:13:26

Yes bra intervention great idea.
Is it underneath the bust and across the middle to measure?
Then perhaps a trip to Bravissimo as suggested, although I'm the opposite end of the scale and would like bigger boobs.
DD is a sporty girl ( in clubs at school) wants to keep up with the fashions. She prefers trousers/ trainers but will wear a dress in summer . She lacks confidence in her looks despite being a pretty girl.

VocationalGoat Sat 16-Jan-16 08:17:41

V neck boyfriend jumpers, leggings, Doc Marten's. Add a denim mini skirt over the leggings or not.
Asos is a good website.

mysteryfairy Sat 16-Jan-16 08:19:03

My DD is similar - 5ft 9, size 12 top with 34e boobs, size 10 bottoms but fairly powerful thighs.

The single thing that makes the most difference is a properly fitted bra. My DD was extremely reluctant to be fitted and had to be bribed and cajoled, but recognises the benefit now.

We get jeans from top shop as they reliably have a good choice in 34 inch inside leg (online but order a few pairs to store for a try on). She also favours tops from top shop. Generally things with a lower neckline but actually in a properly fitted bra she looks good in a high neck top anyway as she is 13 so they tend to always look good.

I think a big h and m is a good place for basics tops, some things are randomly 100% cotton. Also we've had more success with little dresses from there as dresses from Hollister etc don't really fit her.

She wears a lot of baggy casual wear from places like Jack Wills and Pink. It depends on the girl and the style locally, but she and her friends seem to hang out all dressed in sweatpants etc.

It's hard to be a self conscious teen and particularly if you stand out through height or whatever. I make sure DD has the right things re trainers, boots, make up etc so that she doesn't feel any difference in those areas. For her that is for example Nike roshes, adidas superstars, uggs, Mac and urban decay, but I'm sure that varies by taste and school. Can you ask her what she wants and give her a boost with the right trainers or whatever.

VocationalGoat Sat 16-Jan-16 08:19:36

Pink Doc Marten's, I should add...I love the patent leather pink ones.

sarah2011 Sat 16-Jan-16 08:23:53

Checked shirts and converse/ new balance trainers and leggings, maybe take her to get her hair cut or put a wash in colour on fir her. I'm busty abs broad and usually gave murder with shirts but I have 2 longline ones (cover bum) that I wear with leggings (h and m and new look) I wear them unbuttoned a little with a white vest under- this solves the prob of bottoms gaping a cross the bust, and actually gives a flattering, feminine neckline. I also wear mine with Chelsea boots from river Island. X

Getit Sat 16-Jan-16 10:18:06

She loves trainers she has sketchers, nike, vans, converse.
She likes shirts so the longer line shirts would be good for her .
She worries that baggy tshirts will make her look bigger . But she likes the skinny jeans baggy top look.
Thanks for the suggestions so far .

OvertiredandConfused Sat 16-Jan-16 17:22:34

My DD is also 14 and a size 12, classic hourglass and very self concious with her match stick friends.

She wears lots of leggings or topshop Leigh jeans with baggy tops / shirts and white DMs. She also lives in the obligatory black leather biker jacket.

We struggle with skirts and dresses as she is tall (and would literally show her undies in many of the skirts her friends wear). Whe we can find the right length, she looks fab in skater style, fitted top tucked in if it's a skirt, then dressed up or down with shoes and jacket / cardi.

Getit Sun 17-Jan-16 12:00:48

A trip to topshop is in order then I think.

Getit Sun 17-Jan-16 20:39:27

Any more suggestions or links to ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now